bug in v5

freezes on tempo change

so i want to record a little part i just thought of and i opened up ntrack 5 and i tried to change the tempo. as soon as i do so the time changes to like -45 or something and ntrack freezes. here’s a picture.

if i uncheck midi in the metronome it doesn’t freeze, but the playback position does move everytime i change the tempo, i guess to catch up to where it would be after the tempo change?

Hi kevinkreiser:
I would write Flavio some mail to his support address to see if he can replicate the issue… Describe to him in the mail as much detail as you can with all your systems Hardware and specs, and all…

Bill…

I reported this to Flavio some months ago. IIRC, he was unable to reproduce the problem, so apparently it doesn’t happen on all systems or with all configurations.

The sort-of-workaround (a work-thru, really) I have is to import a wav file before changing tempo. It still slams the view to the left, but at least it doesn’t crash when I move the slider.

(kevinkreiser @ May 22 2007,17:46)
so i want to record a little part i just thought of and i opened up ntrack 5 and i tried to change the tempo. as soon as i do so the time changes to like -45 or something and ntrack freezes. here’s a picture.

I was able to reproduce the problem, it should be fixed in the next version. It was difficult to reproduce as it was related to an uninitialized state of the playback position, the problem didn’t happen if any streaming occurred before trying to change the tempo, for example just turning on the recording vumeter made the problem disappear.

Flavio.

OH MAN!!! :)

Uninitialized variable usage can be a REAL pain to find and even harder if sometimes they are initialized. In my day job I regularly see code that is created uninitialized. It’s a common practice, and not necessarily the wrong thing to do. The problem is that it MUST be set to something before it gets used, and that can be WAY down in the code path. Every possible code path must be checked, and that’s very hard sometimes.

Glad you finally found it, Flavio. Thanks!