Bug with 4.0.5 build 1840: midi mute

muting a midi track doesn’t work

Hey,

Anyone find this problem in build 1840? The mute button simply doesn’t work for any midi tracks?

rod

It works for me. I tried it on a couple midi files to be sure.

KingFish

rod,

It seems to be working for me in build 1840, as well. Do you happen to have Solo enabled for the tracks? Mute doesn’t work for tracks being soloed. Just a thought. Also, are these VSTi tracks?

Tony

the tracks aren’t soloed, but there are vsti, feeding into Battery 2. Never saw this kind of behaviour before 4.0.5. When I have a moment, I’ll do a re-install and test it again.

rod

Hey Rod–

I was testing on XP Pro earlier with just an SB Audigy Synth and Crystal VSTi track. HOWEVER, I tried three VSTi tracks under Win2K tonight and noticed 2 out of 3 didn’t mute correctly. Loopazoid muted OK, while Elogoxa’s “The Devil Inside” and Green Oak’s Crystal did not.

So it kinda looks like it’s possibly an OS/VSTi dependent thing, but I’d have to look at it more to be sure… ???

[edit: my external synth seems ok, too.]

Tony

Well, one more observation: I can mute the VSTi tracks if I go to the Main Mixer and mute the Synth strip for the VSTi.

Tony

I loaded up a few VSTi and DXi synths and found that some mute and some do not. My Audigy soundfonts mute and this is what I tried initially.

You are correct Rod.

KingFish

More testing: build 1840 on XP again, mute still shows the same buggy behavior with the same VSTi plugins I tried under Win2K. Put 4.04 build 1811 in, and the problems went away. Is it bug report time yet? :D

[EDIT: Seems the MrRay 73 plug doesn’t mute with 1811, so 1811 is not a fix-all.]

Tony

Try unchecking the “Mute = vol 0” option in the Preferences/MIDI dialog box. The default behavior has changed from v4.0.4 to v4.0.5.
I’ll add a third mute mode in the next version in which the streaming of midi notes is halted and the channel volume is also set to 0 (currently only one of these actions is performed depending on the state of the “Mute = vol 0” option).

Flavio.

Hi Flavio,

Thanks–this works (tried it under XP)!!! I thought to try this under Win2K last night, and if I recall correctly (it was late), the setting wouldn’t change, but I will say no more until I go back and verify it.

Thanks again,

Tony

Quote (Scantee @ May 04 2005,08:35)
Hi Flavio,

Thanks--this works (tried it under XP)!!! I thought to try this under Win2K last night, and if I recall correctly (it was late), the setting wouldn't change, but I will say no more until I go back and verify it.

Update: I tried it in Win2K, and I was wrong about the setting not changing (that was 4.04, not 4.05) and the mute *does* work. But for some VSTi plugs (e.g. Green Oak's Crystal) the mute only works after you stop and restart playback. I imagine the new mute option could make a difference there. Thanks again for the tip, Flavio!

Tony