Build 1796 - keeps crashing for me

Just downloaded build 1796 and each time I try to load a project (even one I just started that only has a couple of tracks) it crashes and blue screens. Using XP Home on a Pentium 4 and a gig of memory.

Each time I re-install the earlier version I was using (build 1770 in my case) it works fine again.

Anyone else had probs with 1796?

Installed 1796 here. No probs. Are your songs just .wavs, MIDI tracks or a mix of both?

TG

Quote (JeffM @ Mar. 16 2005,17:26)
Just downloaded build 1796 and each time I try to load a project (even one I just started that only has a couple of tracks) it crashes and blue screens. Using XP Home on a Pentium 4 and a gig of memory.

Each time I re-install the earlier version I was using (build 1770 in my case) it works fine again.

Anyone else had probs with 1796?

I had problems running b95 at first, but after I cleaned my registry and reinstalled it, it worked fine. I am also running winxp on p4 and have a gig of ram, do you have a registery mechanic of any kind? I would give that a spin before giving up on the new updated ntrack.
And now that I've thought about it a little, I used Registry Mechanic for the cure after installing b1791 also, after that it was trouble free!
Tom

The songs are mostly wave files. The drums and keyboards started life as MIDI but have been rendered as .wav files using VST instruments. The original MIDI files are still there but muted (with the option selected to not read muted tracks).

I also have some effects on some of the tracks but these are all frozen. Effectively, I’m just playing back .wav files.

I just downloaded and installed 1796 and it works OK here.

I just installed over the top of the previous build I had (1790)

I tried loading 2 different songs - 1 with midi traks and 1 without.
Both had effects and both had CPU usage around the 50% mark.

No probs playing back and doing some simple mixing etec.
Haven’t given it a good working over though to see if there are any bugs for yet

Rich

JeffM,

Have you tried reverting to default preferences in 1796? Just thinking maybe there’s some weird config file incompatibility or something between 1770 and 1796. ???

Tony

That’s a good thought Tony. I had to do that for one build, though I had been try to get the GuitarPort working at the time. Regardless, reverting the preferences fixed it.

I’ll second the Preferences and Reg Cleaner ideas. Ver 4 seems to be rock solid on my PC so far.

teej

Can anyone reccomend a good registry cleaner (preferably free or aqt least cheap) for XP?

Thanks.

CCleaner or Winclean, both free. Try www.majorgeeks.com for all kinds of helpful tweaky geeky stuff.
Cheers
TusterBuster

I’ll second CCleaner. Just installed this a couple days ago, and i like it.

teej

is ccleaner works the same as regclean?

Yes and no. It’s a reg cleaner, but lots more. Doesn’t scrub dishes, but it will delete Temp files and other junk.

teej

k thanks!