Build 2280

Has been posted

Hi n-Trackers:
Build 2280 has been posted…

I have build 2279 installed… When I open build 2279 and I’m on-line to the Internet I get prompted that a new build is available for download…

I go to the prompt screen and download the new build and install n-Track build 2280…

However, the build that is installed is build 2279 and I get the prompt to download the build 2280 that is available to download and install…

I get the feeling that Flavio has installed build 2279 instead of build 2280 for download…

Bill…

its 2280 OK - new on the fly sample conversion is there and it works great -

Dr J

Thanks Doc… I have yet to check that feature out… Does your build say 2279 or 2280?

Bill…

Hi n-Trackers:
Today, a worrisome issue has raised itself regarding n-Track and v 5_b_2280 and the shortcut icon on the P-111 editing DAW that I connect to the Internet, with…

I am preparing to remove a 40 gig. hard drive that is connected to the Promise-T Raid card where I’ll replace it with a 250 gig. drive…

Eventually, all four of the present 40 - 80 gig. drives will be replaced with 120+ gig. drives… However, today, I am organizing for this 40 drive removal…This happens to be a Little Used drive because of it’s size…

Something happened and I had to “Restore” this machine to June 15th… That was before or about the time b_2279-2280 was posted… The “Restore” came off O.K. except the build 2279 icon did not appear on the XP Desk after I rebooted… I went into the C Drive Program Folder and sure enough, there was no n-Track (application) in the v5 folder… It should have been build 2279 in the version 5 folder… V 5_b_2279 was updated by me on June 15th when I downloaded b_2280 and installed it… However, when I opened the “About” menu to check it build it said 2279…

This is strange… It has not happened in the past… This is a registered version… and all is O.K. in that regard…

Anyway, I installed b_2280 again… n-Track opens and appears to work fine, so far—so good… The icon for v5.0.9_b_2279 appears on the desk, as a shortcut to n-Track… Still No Build 2280 yet on this DAW… By-the-way… When I opened n-Track after the re-install a confirmation screen appeared asking to save-or-not-save a previous config. of the earlier n-Track installation… That confirmation is O.K. with me but the fact that b_2280 does not appear on this machine…

Weird… to say the least…

I downloaded v5.0.9_b_2280 on the Studio P-4 XP Desk and when I open n-Track on that desk n-Track 5.0.9_b_2280 appears in the “About” screen on that Desk… No Issues… However, I haven’t spent any amount of time working on the machine/desk…

It sure would be nice to have this issue explained so I can get back up and running on the same page with this P-111 Editing Machine/XP Desk…

Do any of you guys have an Off-the-Cuff explanation as to what this might mean?

Bill…

Ntrack about shows build 2280 -

it looks like when you installed 2280 N has gone to a different folder – the dexktop icon goes to 2279 not new 2280 -check properties on icon -

TIP before upgrading drag the n track icon to the other side of the desktop - if icon does not move back after upgrading, something is wrong - if icon moves back to default position after upgrading then all is well -

n track keeps info in the following (almost hidden) folder by default -

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.PC XXXX\Application Data
-Track Studio5 - “XXXX is your pc name or number” -

ALSO with WORDPAD open the LOG.txt file (in above folder) this will show you what version you have actually opened and when - unless you have more then 1 LOG.txt file on PC - use search for other versions and check them out - everything you do in N is time stamped and dated so this makes it easy to sort out problems =

PS never use ntracks default setting for install - ALWAYS set up a dedicated folder -

ALSO before downloading an upgrade type in the build number before the .exe in the save box - ie C:/XXXX/XXXX/ ntrack BUILD 2280.exe - by changing the build number with every download you will build up a series of Ns installs - it is best to keep at least 4 versions saved you can revert back to any version (reinstall) at any time - if a build does not work then you can just delete that build number and keep only the good ones -

Dr J

PPS - Bill ask ‘RADAR’ if his PC DAW accepts the new EDL file transfer system introduced in 2278 - this allows N track songs to be opened in ProTools (and a few other DAWS) exactly as if they were in N - (Audio and MIDI tracks only, plugins are not provided for) -

Dr J

Hi Doc:
Thanks for that reply… I’ll be looking into this in detail as the day goes on.

I normally and every time I download a new posted version…

I point the file I’m downloading to a (named) folder in in “My Documents” "in-this-case… e.g. My Documents/FaSoft/v5.0.9_beta/v5.0.9_b_xxxx/ In there I have all the builds that Flavio has posted in this series (builds 2272 - 2280)

As I was posting this earlier reply IT dawned on me that I may have a corrupt 2280 file… I think I might delete this build from “My Documents” and transfer the build I have downloaded to the Studio DAW … Then, re-install build 2280 from that .EXE then, see what happens on this P-111 machine…

I don’t want to make a “Big TO-DO” over this issue but on the other hand, if I let IT go then maybe somewhere down the road this may come back and bite me … “Big-Time”…

On to RADAR Wayne and I/Me…

Earlier in the late winter/spring we were exchanging lots of mail and all regarding his studio expansion and how things were progressing and how he was incorporating RADAR and the computerized part of his set-up into his Studio Expansion… He got to a point where were were gonna do a Studio and Control Room Spectrum of the Acoustic Environment… We were gonna do some Impulse Responses and measure their content and adjust the rooms for reflections with treatment and all…

However, he needed a multi-track editor for his computer set-ups to integrate with his RADAR… Now… Yea gotta know this Guy… I’m one of the more sceptical guys on this side of the Atlantic… I’m gonna say I’m a "Positive/Sceptical type-of-guy…

BUT Wayne is a Negitive/Sceptical Son-of-a-Gun…

He could never [Over-the-Years) make his Lexicon Audio Hardware work… He listened to too many computer know-nothing Guys all over the world about how to setup a DAW to run this hardware that never worked right in the first place… He never believed me when I told him I got My Lexicon hardware up-and-running and with an editor that was designed and built in Italy… This goes way back to '97 or so… You see these guys wanted to sell him something that they had that didn’t work so that they could unload the stuff they had… Stienburg/Windows/Mac/Stienburg… You-Name-It… they wanted to unload…

That’s why he went to Turn-Key…

But, this spring he wanted me to set him up with n-Track/Windows/DAW to intrograte with his setup but didn’t want to pay for the software…

It hurt me Big-Time to hear that come from a sceptical guy like him knowing “Out-Front” I had to install all this on P-11 10 year-old computers… Sorry Doc… and Guys… I wasn’t gonna do IT… It seemed to me that I was gonna be Under-the-Gun with him and his Stienburg World all over North America and where ever that I had to prove to his “CAMP” that this stuff (n-Track/Lexicon) works… and (Stienburg/Lexicon) might work… Cause that what’s I could see what was gonna happen when I got n-Track up-and-running…

As a result of what could have gone down, RADAR Wayne and I have not traded any Mail, sense… It’s a shame that this continues… Because there may be a lot of “Knowledge Base and Ground Shaking Ideas” in the Audio Domain, that is being lost…

That’s what I think…

Bill…

Hi Again:
I am unable to edit the earlier post…

I point the file I’m downloading to a (named) folder in in “My Documents” "in-this-case… e.g. My Documents/FaSoft/v5.0.9_beta/v5.0.9_b_xxxx/ In there I have all the builds that Flavio has posted in this series (builds 2272 - 2280)

After I download the application I install the build (by default) from the “My Documents” folder… The updated version (by Default) installs into C/:program files/FaSoft/n-Track Studio 5/

There also happens to be n-Track Studio 4 there as well… That’s where build 2099 is set-up and running, from…

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.PC XXXX\Application Data

I’ll be looking in that folder to see what is in there, in the morning…

Thanks Doc…

Bill…

I’m back, again… Doc:
I went into the folder you mentioned… [quote] > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.PC XXXX\Application Data

Unless I’m looking in the wrong place… I see nothing in there connected to n-Track… EVEN REMOTELY… That folder is in Program Files FaSoft… In there there are two folders n-Track Studio 4 and n-Track Studio 5 …

It appears that both versions of n-Track are launched from with-in the Program Files Folder… The short-cuts (icons) on the desk point to those two .EXE’s in that folder… For the little that I know, they have always been in Program Files and have never given me any “Install-or-Launch” issues…

I’m thinking about deleting the 2280 build and re-downloading b2280 again and re-installing 2280 from a new download… Failing that attempt I will and I’m thinking that I’ll delete n-Track v5 from this machine and re-installing v5 b 2280 from scratch… I hate doing that… cause I don’t want to play with the registry… Another alternative is… wait till Flavio posts another build and see what happens… with that update, on this machine… ???? ????

Bill…

UMM! - thats where the text.log file is on my PC (WIN 2K) never mind -

downloaded 2280 as soon as i saw it - About, says that it is 2280 and the new feature is there so it is 2280 - About says it was created on the 15-06-2007 - so i doubt if there is any difference between your download and mine -

where does the Ntrack icon properties show the program start ?-

if all else fails do a search for ntrack.exe, you should have two. one for V4 and one for V5 if you have three then one of them is the missing 2280

Dr J

Hi Doc:
I did a “Properties” on the Shortcut icon on the desk… This is a copy-and-paste of what is found in the pop-up screen…

“C:\Program Files\FASoft
-Track Studio 5”

This is a copy-and-paste of the properties under the “General” screen.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

It was created on June 17 2007 because I re-installed it after I found that it was build 2279…

This is a copy-and-paste of v4 4.2.1

“C:\Program Files\FASoft
-Track Studio 4
track.exe”

Here’s the Print Screen of the “Up-Date” screen…

I’ll install build 2280 but this screen appears saying that a new build Da-Da-Da… and all…

Bill…

you wont believe the problems i have just had -

first - when upgrading i always use prefs from previous build -

in prefs i do not have look for updates ticked - in order to see what happens when it is ticked, i ticked the box - N CRASHED - restarted N - crashed - crashed - crashed and so on -

reinstalled N - crashed - uninstalled N - run reg mechanic - reinstalled N - crashed -

installed build 2279 - crashed - installed 2242 it worked - reinstalled 2280 it worked -

back to your problems - your desktop icon properties are the same as mine -

i think you should untick the auto look for update box in prefs and manually download and reinstall N - thats what i do and it works OK for me -

Dr J

Hi Doc:
It sounds like you had your “Hands Full”… Could IT be in the coding of the n-Track builds? This could get delicate before the dust settles… You’re right… I always use the config. from the old build…

I haven’t had any crashes yet… I’m considering the options I have before I do anything drastic…

It’s strange that the b2280 installed just fine on… as much as I know in the Studio P-4 machine… but this is only on the XP Desk… Not the '98SE desk on that machine… yet… I don’t think I’m gonna be too overly hasty doing something that I might regret… on this P-111 editing machine…

I still haven’t figuered out why the “Interact With Third Party Programs” check-box still appears at every launch if I have that box checked…

I’m noticing that the wav files stream off the hard drives nice-and-smooth… on this b 2279… So far…

Bill…

in 2280 the new on the fly re-sampling and the MIDI indicator in the icon tray are great -

now you can load a 48k track into a 44k song and not have that ‘convert’ box popping up - Magix software has had that for years and plays anything you can throw at it -

the new MIDI icon shows that N is recieving MIDI from the device you have plugged in - saves a lot of messing about, if it dont turn red then MIDI aint getting through -

Dr J

Hi n-Trackers:
Build 2281 was posted earlier today and I downloaded the application and got it installed … I now have build 2281 updated from build 2279… The “About” screen confirms that 2281 is installed on this machine… But as I “Launched” n-Track this screen appeared on top of the n-Track launch Logo… I took a print screen of this before saying yes/OK to close the screen…

As far as I can see, and so-far, build 2281 works as normal…

What could this screen indicate?? I am fascinated with it’s appearance… As well, this screen does not appear each time n-Track is launched… All appears O.K. with n-Track on this machine…

I do believe that I am back on the same page with the latest build… b2281 with no outstanding issues…

Bill…