build 2410 - delays delays delays

something is briken

system - 932meg P3 - 256meg ram - running Win 2k -

press play and it takes 6 seconds before audio plays -
press stop and it takes 6 secs before audio stops playing -
after pressing play it takes 12 seconds before the timeline moves -
takes 6 seconds to move cursor -
12 seconds to mute part -

parts muted in build 2409 are not remembered in 2410 (same prefs used)

this seemed to start after i selected SKINS (skins have not worked in Win 2k for ages) now work but delays have appeared -

have used two process monitors to see what is happening and can find nothing amiss with the system -

M.R.

Put it in the bug tracker.

Hmmm… not doing it here Doc. Laptop built-in audio using ASIO4ALL driver set to 512 samples buffer size. Smooth starts and stops. ?

D

May or may not be related… still won’t loop worth a hoot… Stutter… stutter… pop… fart…

D

Was looping addressed in the last build (not mentioned in the list if so)?

The looping problem seems to be little more than not actually playing the highlighted area consistently, if at all, on systems that do not have other playback issues. Of course, if there are other playback issues then they would be amplified when looping.

When looping, the first play instance of the highlighted area seems to be playing past the end of the highlighted area by a beat or so. After that, playback seems to jump back a beat earlier than it should. That would make looped playback not be seamless…understatement. Anyway, it is always off, even the first time through.

:)

Changing plug-in compensation has no affect on this, so that is no the issue…maybe.

Just ran project in build 2410, no problems. Didn’t run looping tho.
Stutter issues when soloing/un-soloing a track seem to be fixed.

Quote: (phoo @ Nov. 12 2008, 12:37 PM)

Was looping addressed in the last build (not mentioned in the list if so)?

The looping problem seems to be little more than not actually playing the highlighted area consistently, if at all, on systems that do not have other playback issues. Of course, if there are other playback issues then they would be amplified when looping.

When looping, the first play instance of the highlighted area seems to be playing past the end of the highlighted area by a beat or so. After that, playback seems to jump back a beat earlier than it should. That would make looped playback not be seamless....understatement. Anyway, it is always off, even the first time through.

:)

Changing plug-in compensation has no affect on this, so that is no the issue...maybe.

Looping indeed was not mentioned. Someone else brought it up in another thread. I was just checking to see if anything different happened in 2410. As I mentioned in that thread though, I was never able to get any version/build of n to loop smoothly. It should be on Flavio's radar though. It's a big deal to lots of new users.

FWIW, I am testing with demo builds as they come out on my AMD 3000 Sempron based laptop with 2GB RAM and onboard sound with ASIO4ALL drivers. I'm using Mike Cressey's "On A Roll" for a test project.

D

Hi Gents:

I will load 2410 here as soon as I get it downloaded…
I’ll check to see how it behaves here…
and post back…
for what it’s worth…

Bill…

Oddly, Rabbit is experiencing the delays that plagued me but now are mostly gone in 2410…If I use wdm and check the plugin latency compensation box I still get them but not quite as long…I still can’t crank the buffering low on ASIO drivers…even with projects with only 7 tracks but it starts and stops instantly and I use hardware direct monitoring so I could give a hoot about live input monitoring or processing…I will cut a few tracks after tonight’s gig and see how she does…

Ray

I’m still downloading b 2410… (Dialup-and-Modem)
I’m at some 95% now…

When I up-date/load b 2410
I plan to “Revert-to-Default” (not save the previous preferences) this build install…

Bill…

Quote:

"Revert-to-Default"

Always a good idea.

Hi Gents:

I’ve updated to build 2410 and reverted to Default Preferences…
Now, I see that b 2411 is posted…
So, I’m in the process of downloading that build…

I still hate to “Revert-to-Default” no matter what you say-IT…
It don’t make it any easier to reset all the “Toys” to how I use n-Track…

All the minute subtleties of all the previous v6.0.2 builds are still working exactly the same for me here… at least I think so…OR IT feels-the-same…
I’m only loading one mastered track on the timeline…
SO…
no-big-deal with stress going on here, anyway…

I should be loading a 12-18 track .sng file into the timeline and put these late builds through this P-111 Machine’s paces…

Non of the fixes that Flavio is working on (at present) is affecting how I use n-Track…
At-the-moment…

Bill…

No Delays for me with 2410. Liking the part mute! Thought that lanes was added to 2410 but couldn’t find that, or those, or them their lainiems. :cool:

yet to try 2411 - tried 2410 on another PC same specs as this unit but MUCH faster P3 - was reasonable - not rocket speed there was still a detectable delay but nothing to worry about - SO i reloaded 2409 back into this PC - got TWO SKIN errors at start up but it opened OK and the older build is definately MUCH aster than the newer build 2410 -

this is on WINDOWS 2000 where there has been a SKIN problem for a long time (and reorted many times) - build 2410 was fast to start with but the second i tried to alter a skin setting it went slow -

so lets see what 2411 brings to the table -

M.R.

Quote: (Levi @ Nov. 13 2008, 1:38 AM)

No Delays for me with 2410.
Liking the part mute!
Thought that lanes was added to 2410 but couldn't find that, or those, or them their lainiems.
:cool:

Right click on a track in the timeline: Alternate takes-add blank take. When starting a new recording on that track or importing a wav file it will appear as a separate lane on the same track, or something like that... It looks quite good actually, although I haven't tried for something useful yet...