Build 2424

I would like to be able to split lanes for total editing control either that or be able to grab a handle and resize it… almost there. Is anyone else testing lanes or am I pretty much fartin’ around on my own here?

Well - just crashed it trying to grab a handle… that needs to be so flexible for editing. This will be a sweet feature when it’s right!

I can not handle the wasted time and frustration trying to drag and drop midi clips into n-track from EZDrummer. EZD was designed for simple drag and drop to a midi file. n-Track creates a new file on drag and drop it goes no where close to where it’s dropped. So I try to drag a drum fill into the ‘song’ and it goes to a new midi track way back to 0 time position. ctrl+mouse drag to where it’s supposed to go (no cross hair handles on midi) and the end of the midi track I want it to go to. It takes a miracle to get it to join in time - no amount of grid on off snapping will get it right. This is a must have for me, and a growing number of DAW users.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Dec. 06 2008, 5:41 PM)

I can not handle the wasted time and frustration trying to drag and drop midi clips into n-track from EZDrummer. EZD was designed for simple drag and drop to a midi file. n-Track creates a new file on drag and drop it goes no where close to where it's dropped. So I try to drag a drum fill into the 'song' and it goes to a new midi track way back to 0 time position. ctrl+mouse drag to where it's supposed to go (no cross hair handles on midi) and the end of the midi track I want it to go to. It takes a miracle to get it to join in time - no amount of grid on off snapping will get it right. This is a must have for me, and a growing number of DAW users.

Here's another lonely voice in the wilderness...

D

PS Gettin' rid of all the blasted BUGS would be great too...

I am glad to turn off this silly lanes nonsense…I would disable midi too if it had an off button…so as far as I am concerned Poppa you are on your own… :peace: I just want the darn thing to record and play audio tracks without farting out…

Cheers,
Ray

I know Ray - I hear ya. All I can do is keep trying to break it and send in reports. We’ll get there.

sigh

LOL… although it’s really not funny…

D

Replace the freekin’ bulb in channel 11’s VU meter, or I’m gonna start cuttin’ somewhere else!

I tried singin’ a vocal track on 11… :laugh:

D

I use to use Ampex 456 'till I bought a Studer 24 track then I went to AGFA.

That’s just a pic I found on the web PW. Jus’ foolin’ around. I haven’t touched magnetic tape or tape machines since err… dang… I don’t know? It’s been THAT LONG! LOL…

Don’t miss 'em a bit though… nasty, finicky, troublesome beasts…
:disagree:

D

I have a bunch of recordings on Ampex 456 that are unusable unless I cook the tapes and play them while they are still warm…UGH!!!

Funny that this would come up today. I was just thinking of redoing a phoo doodle that I don’t have a mixdown of.

Bummer phoo…

Hey… I just noticed Build 2424 is an “official release” now and no longer Beta. What the heck?

D

Quote: (rsolinski @ Dec. 06 2008, 7:02 PM)

:peace: I just want the darn thing to record and play audio tracks without farting out...

Cheers,
Ray

Great! I had another bad day with 2324, happy to say goddbye to that build! Must have crashed 5 times in an hr. Doing simple tasks like saving am eq preset. Or changing one during playback.

PW Well here you are. The most patient of us all. Always helping, always kind, and your pet peeve is still an issue. Sorry about that good man. It's deffinately the right time to put your foot down. Flavio? Well we know what kind of hacker bs he has to deal with and still get n upto date. I've always had the impression that midi was a total monster in it's own write.
This drumsite software I use allows me to export in wav or midi. And n can convert to wav from midi. Can't EZdrum export your clips to wav?

Oh…I still have analog machines…sometimes flying a track out to analog and hitting it hard for effect is really cool…no plugin can match some G9 at +6 on 15 ips…cymbals sound better on tape sometimes too…

Ray

I am in the process of copying old tapes into digital - probably will never finish.
But over and over I am amazed at how good some of the recording sounds - all the way back to a Walensac with a little dynamic mic (if that is not how to speel it, pardon).
The ones made years later with a Roberts and Shure D35 - pretty good.
By the time I had a 4 track TEAC and sm58, amazing.
And we just sang and played, one pass everybody - that’s it!
:;):
Bax
Oh, yes, I forgot to add, then I got the TEAC with 8 tracks onto the half inch tape - I only used the best Ampex tape - that stuff has turned to glue.

So far I haven’t been able to reproduce crashes with build 2424. If you get a crash it would be great if you could fill the problem report form so that I can examine the crash dump.

Handling of MIDI tracks with MIDI clips is scheduled for version 6.0.3.

Flavio.

That’s just a pic I found on the web PW. Jus’ foolin’ around. I haven’t touched magnetic tape or tape machines since err… dang… I don’t know? It’s been THAT LONG! LOL…

Don’t miss 'em a bit though… nasty, finicky, troublesome beasts…

D

Funny…

hehe…

They had an MCI

JH-24

????
At Solar Audio/Musicstop…
I try not to remember it…
All the cards plugged into a Mainboard… I/O Cards and Oscillator cards…
If you walked past it and accidentally rubbed it half the channels would stop working…

I had a Cambell’s soup can that I connected to my grandparent’s outhouse door with a piece of fishing twine…
when I was a kid… It worked pretty good… BUT…
It wouldn’t take the high notes… I tried different kinds of twine… I found that Cod Twine worked the best…
It was tough to keep it at the right tension…
:laugh:
:p

I threatened to import a project into a timeline and play with the LANE’s over here…
I got everything I need to get busy with it…
I just need to find the time…

BoY…
It’s threatening outside…
I hope it don’t snow…
I’m down on one knee…
AnD…
I got the snowblower all primed…
:p I need help Big Time…

Bill…

We have not been able to get on with lanes at all and reverted to 6.0.1 build 2407 last week.

There are two main issues for us:

1) We have only recorded with nTrack and the ‘lanes’ idea represents a paradigm shift in the way overdubbing works in N.
Unfortunately, the shift is undocumented so for people like us we have no idea how to make the leap.
It doesn’t seem at all intuitive to me and N has gone backwards in terms of stability.
2) The damn handles don’t do anything.
Are they handles (the little square nodes on parts that used to be round) supposed to do anything?
How do you pull in something that you’ve recorded over a track?
This is a show stopper for us so we gave up and rolled back.

There are other issues for us too but these are the main ones.
I have no idea what the intended behaviour is but don’t know how you get N to do the things that use to be easy before lanes.

If this is now in a major release (gone through beta) that’s very disappointing to me
:disagree:

Quote:

I am glad to turn off this silly lanes nonsense

Please tell me if and how this can be done in N.
Than at least I can maybe keep upgrading without the pain of lanes.

Does anyone feel like starting a thread on how they believe lanes are supposed to work?
At least then I might be able to distinguish between intended (but undesirable) behaviour and bugs.

Hi Gents Again:

I’ve yet to use the new feature…
I need to get a move-on and get busy with this concept…
However, I can see without trying this yet…
There are two icons at the upper right-hand corner of the track when it (That Track) is hi-lighted…
One is a speaker…
By clicking on it the hi-lited track can be muted…
The other one(on that timeline (at the far right)… starts all the tracks from the time line’s beginning…

That’s all I’ve bee able to discover from see what I see on the tracks I’ve imported…
so far…