Build   1800

No Problems

I just installed v1800 with no registry issues!
I don’t know it was the result of somthing you did or not but
Thanks Flavio for a better version of a very good thing!

Ya gotta wonder if Flavio watches this board for common complaints and then addresses them… We were just talking about the registry stuff within the past few days. Cool deal. :)

Ya it’s hard to tell, but he definately gets after the buggs!
The thing that I like most about ntrack is it’s pratical layout and approach to recording. Compaired to other programs that I’ve tried, none compare. I remember bragging to my friends when I first originally tried ntrack in 1999; “This thing works! And actually does what it says it will do and is reliable”
Now v1800, Awsome!

What amazes me about Flav is how well he listens to his users. I bet we’d all be surprised at how many minor tweaks and changes he makes based on user requests THAT NEVER GET MENTIONED IN THE WHAT’S NEW CHANGE LOG!

I know i’ve made requests and had them addressed in the next build. But they aren’t mentioned in the change log. Makes me think he stays very busy fine tuning the product while raising little fanfare for his efforts.

Class act, this one.

teej

The weird scrollbars on mixer channel name tags seem to be gone with the 1800. Alas, they still exist in Aux channels:

(Yes, I know the mixer color scheme is modified. No, it doesn’t affect the scrollbars.)

Anyway, this is much better now.

Mwah

I get the feeling that fixing graphics glitches makes up a large part of Flavio’s “todo list”. Just speculation. Of the several bug reports I put in this year, only two went unanswered and unfixed, and one was an old graphics glitch that apparently goes back to version 3.3 at least. It is completely reproduceable under Win 2K, 98, and XP with both ATI and NVidia video cards. I figure if it’s been in plain sight this long, it’s either low priority or just too difficult/sensitive to fix right now. BTW, the problem is that the little VU meters on the left of each track (if enabled) get visually corrupted when scrolling UP “quickly”; doesn’t happen when scrolling down, and just refreshing the window through various methods (e.g., minimizing, covering/uncovering N-track, resizing the Left Track Bar, etc.) clears the corruption.

So take comfort in knowing that your scrollbar issue is not all alone and lonely in the bug bin. :p

Tony

Tony, I know that… and anyway, this is just a minor thing for me, especially now when the channel scrollbars are gone.

Compared to the small amount of money Flavio must get from our registration fees, he’s working a lot, and great work, too.

Quote (Mwah @ Mar. 19 2005,03:09)
The weird scrollbars on mixer channel name tags seem to be gone with the 1800. Alas, they still exist in Aux channels:

(Yes, I know the mixer color scheme is modified. No, it doesn't affect the scrollbars.)

Anyway, this is much better now.

Mwah

:D Hi Mwah,
The thing that amazes me is that you have 3 aux channels! :O Why does that amaze me? :D I don't know, I have always had two because of lazieness I guess. Do you still have the odd scrolers with only two aux channels? :(

Tony,
You know that John recently sent in a bug report for the channell fader tone nobs not adjusting back when changing from a setting back to default in the dropdown menue. And that has been around a long time too. Submitt it again it's probably just a timeing thing, it was pretty kayotic a couple months ago. I think it's a good report anyway.

:angry: Have y'all cleaned your registrys? Darn I just reached the emotiecon limit :-0 haha
:D :) :p :O :cool: We guess it's five per!

Tom - I checked. The amount of aux channels don’t seem to affect the scroll bars.

And yes, I have cleaned the registry with no effect.

I’m sort of used to have three aux channels. Basically, each have a purpose. Number one’s for vocal presence - a compressor, short tempo delay, very short (shover stall size) reverb. Number two’s the “main reverb”, usually a big room (something similar many fx boxes call “Studio A” or something). With a compressor and very slight stereo enhancement. This one’s for drums and “band instruments” and it’s purpose is to create a sense or real space. Number three is for “special effects”: a cathedral sized reverb with wider stereo enhancement. This one I use for backup vocals or “keyboards” or something I want to occasionally make things bigger. In any case, something that doesn’t have anything going on all the time. Just now and then.

I'm sort of used to have three aux channels. Basically, each have a purpose. Number one's for vocal presence - a compressor, short tempo delay, very short (shover stall size) reverb. Number two's the "main reverb", usually a big room (something similar many fx boxes call "Studio A" or something). With a compressor and very slight stereo enhancement

I'm interested in your use of compressor in the Aux channel. Surely you want to compress the whole signal rather than the bit of it sent to the Aux? (ie the rest of the remains uncompressed).

I'm sure you get the results that you want, and I'm sure that a compressor in the Aux channel is useful sometimes but generally speaking shouldn't it be in the track effects?

Curious

Mark

I’m glad you asked, Mark. I was wondering the same thing.

And i’m also glad Flav eliminated the scroll bars. I’m hoping he reads your suggestion to remove them from the AUXes as well.

I like your choice of colors, Mwah. I’ve been selecting a black mixer background and dark green group backgrounds for awhile now. But with V4’s transparent channel name blocks, a dark background doesn’t work so well (your second track looks golden. I’d guess it’s actually yellow on the Timeline. Background colors other than black REALLY affect the channel name color). I’ve stuck with the default colors for now hoping Flav eventually changes the channel name blocks to opaque.

teej

Quote (Mark A @ Mar. 19 2005,07:06)
I'm interested in your use of compressor in the Aux channel. Surely you want to compress the whole signal rather than the bit of it sent to the Aux?

Mark, you're right - I do compress the other parts of the signal, too. One of my more experienced friends have always said compressors sound better when you use a little of several compressors in different parts of the signal chain instead of one heavy one. With these virtual signal chains and effects, we have this luxury to the max.

For me, the idea of compressing the stuff going into an aux channel with reverb means I can effectively get slightly more reverb when there isn't a lot happening - and level of the stuff going into the aux ch. is low - and get the reverbation tamed a bit when there's lot of stuff going into it. So the reverbation level is a bit higher when the listener is able to perceive it, and there's little less sonical clutter when a lot is happening.

That was the thinking when I started experimenting with the idea, and because I could get pretty good results I've used it since then.

Mwah
For me, the idea of compressing the stuff going into an aux channel with reverb means I can effectively get slightly more reverb when there isn't a lot happening - and level of the stuff going into the aux ch. is low - and get the reverbation tamed a bit when there's lot of stuff going into it. So the reverbation level is a bit higher when the listener is able to perceive it, and there's little less sonical clutter when a lot is happening.

Gotcha. Neet idea. Gonna try that myself. Thanks

Mark

Mwah, you put the compressor at the beginning of the effects chain?

'til;
Tony W

Mwah - you have a dijeridu and a mellotron in the same track? wow! special!

DSP

Quote (Mwah @ Mar. 19 2005,06:36)
Tom - I checked. The amount of aux channels don't seem to affect the scroll bars.

And yes, I have cleaned the registry with no effect.

Well I just added 3 and where you see the scroll bars I see Aux1 Aux2 and so on. So at least it doesn't affect your setup any!

Thanks for the description of how you use them, sounds like a good system, like I said I've been lazy about aux sends, thanks for the ideas.
Because the scrollbars are not present in your mixer tracks does say that it's something to do with ntracks scrip and your video card or system. Or possibly a buggy plugin. Why do I say that? Well two months ago I thought it was all ntrack, untill I finally realized that my comp had become infected with out me realizing it.

:D Do you have a link to any of your mixes where you've used your aux studio rooms?

Tom

I used to see the horizontal scroll bars above the AUX channels. Just for the heck of it, I added a 3rd AUX channel (based on Mwah’s recommendation)… thought i’d play with it a bit. Anyway, after adding the additional AUX, i had to shrink the mixer so it would still fit on my monitor. When i did that, the scroll bars went away. I now see the AUX titles (which are customizable, by the way).

So I assume that Flavio has programmed the scroll bars to appear only when there isn’t room in the AUX Plugin Windows for the full name of a plugin. And this is based upon the mixer size.

teej

Wynot - yes, the compressor’s at the beginning of the aux signal chain.

DSP - yes, that particular track has didjeridu and mellotron - both sampled, although Mellotron was an analog sample player instrument to begin with, of course. The 'tron may go, though: at the moment, it doesn’t sound good at that song. And there’s too much stuff already, so I need to program some fader automation to bring stuff up here and there. The didjeridu might survive to the mixing stage, it appears only now and then.