Building drums tracks within n-Track

:D Hi Guys,

I’m trying to build a drum track using loops form DOD, and I have the feeling that I’m doing this the wrong way.

What I do :

1 - Insert the first loop on the track
2 - Past the second loop (CTRL + SHIFT + V)
3 - Back to step 1
4 -zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

So it take ages to create a 2mn track for instance.

Is it the right way to this ? Am I doing something wrong (I’m pretty sure that’s the case)

Should I look for a different program to build this drum track more easily ?

ANy kind of help would be much appreciated as I’m a bit lost in there

:O

I will sometimes do that >but< since I tend to work in 4 or 8 measure phrases,
I’ll put 4 or 8 of them down and then do a File>Mixdown to a phrase track and then import as many of these
as I need to fill out the song. It makes it easier for me to see the structure of the song, too.

The slightly bigger groups are a bit easier to work with and you can always
shorten one down by dragging back the end of the phrase…

Thanks Tim, :D

I’ll try this trick as it seems difinitely more practical this way

Cheers,
JP

Tim is right – for example if there is a repeating phrase, paste it four times, then select and copy those four, then paste that phrase.

I create different separate tracks that will be used as parts for other longer tracks. They stay muted, but it’s easy to go back and copy from them. There could be lots of these templates parts. Other applications may have functionality to do this kind of thing easier, or even in a way that hides what’s really going on. Doing this in n-Tracks is only slight harder once you get used to the method of working.

I do this kind of thing a lot when doing MIDI work, building up a single track that will ultimately be a click/scratch track. I do this before every project (file sharing) to give everyone the same page to start on. We all get a MIDI track and a wave of the same thing since not everyone has MIDI that will work well enough. The tracks may be as simple as a a single click or as complex as drums and bass, or even more occasionally, depending on the song. A huge reason this (using MIDI mostly, even if none of it keepers) is 100% necessary is that it causes everything to line up with the grid which makes editing not only easier, but in some cases simply possible. Loops that are set to a specific exact tempo will do just as well and serve the same purpose. The technique works.

It would be a huge pain if every measure had to be pasted one at a time, but it’s way easier when working from these bigger phrases.

Hey Guys :D

I’m still having problem with this. For instance I builed a first track with 12 Bars of drums, I played it back, all was fine, so I saved and created a miwdown file as Tim recommended. So far so good !!!

Second step : I opened a new project and added the result of the previous mixdom.Great, It sounds goods, I have my fisrt track with my 12 druimes Bars. Great !!!

Then I added the same mixdown to a new track, copied it and pasted at ten the end of the first one on the fisrt track and I expected to have 24 bars in a row.

Bad surprise folks, when listening , I have now a hole between the two 2 twelve bars groups. What do I miss ? :O

Ho Ho ???

Hey Guys :D

I’m still having problem with this. For instance I builed a first track with 12 Bars of drums, I played it back, all was fine, so I saved and created a miwdown file as Tim recommended. So far so good !!!

Second step : I opened a new project and added the result of the previous mixdom.Great, It sounds goods, I have my fisrt track with my 12 druimes Bars. Great !!!

Then I added the same mixdown to a new track, copied it and pasted at ten the end of the first one on the fisrt track and I expected to have 24 bars in a row.

Bad surprise folks, when listening , I have now a hole between the two 2 twelve bars groups. What do I miss ? :O

Ho Ho ???