Built an Isolation Box for my 1960A

Good Idea?

In an effort to:
a) reduce echo and such in my “subpar” (acoustically) room
b) avoid driving my wife nuts

I built a fairly large box from plywood and eggcrate foam (the stuff you get at Target), that I set infront of my cabinet, for recording.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks guys!

The obvious question is - How does it sound ?
:D

I think to get more of the energy off you would need something with a little more substance, like rigid fiberglass.

But if it works without impairing the sound too much, it is an awesome idea !

Wihan

Quote (sweet @ July 14 2005,10:38)
In an effort to:
a) reduce echo and such in my “subpar” (acoustically) room
b) avoid driving my wife nuts

I built a fairly large box from plywood and eggcrate foam (the stuff you get at Target), that I set infront of my cabinet, for recording.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks guys!

Personally, I would have gone the cheap route first… over stuffed coat closets (which 98% of us have) make great amp booths.

Quote (Bubbagump @ July 14 2005,11:18)
Personally, I would have gone the cheap route first… over stuffed coat closets (which 98% of us have) make great amp booths.

Touche’ :D

Didn’t even think about that. It sound’s ok, but I’m still having trouble getting a real tight, dry sound.

For example, if you listen to this Clip, you will hear 4 guitars. The first three are what I consider good sounding. The last one is me. :p

I think I’m getting close but am struggling. Any ideas? I recorded at full “stage” volume. I wondered if I re-recorded at a lower volume if that would help.

I know these are professionally produced etc, and I know there are a million variables in my process but…
Quote (sweet @ July 14 2005,11:47)
I wondered if I re-recorded at a lower volume if that would help.

Most likely. But seriously, try a closet and suppliment with comfortors. It will be dead, dead, dead.

will do, thanks bubba!

If it works, you’re my new best friend! :p :D

Uh oh… Better trim the bushes out front so I can see you hiding out there. :;):

The foam won’t kill all frequencies, and the wood will reflect some back into the mic. It will reduce the level your wife hears, but it will also affect the tone of the instrument.

Yeah, I’m going stuff a couple blankets in there too tonight and try that.

If you get just the right “box” sound you can get your guitars to sound like some KISS stuff from the 70s. :)

Just a thought. :D

Anyway, having layers of different matierals to kill diff freqs is the thing. My iso box is pretty much the same as yours, with packing blanket, some ceiling material, and plywood. It still has a bit of “box” to it, but it’s not a bad sound. Just not as good as a mic out a few feet in the room.

Or Alice in Chains, Man in the Box! :D (bad joke, my apologies)

I’m going to try a few things tonight I think and see what I get.