Bye bye Pluto

Bin nice knowing you.

They’ve now demoted Pluto from being a planet I see.

That’s sad; at school all those years ago I had to memorize: Most Volcanoes Erupt Mulberry Jam Sandwiches Under Normal Pressure.

Now I’ll have to go to all the trouble of forgetting it again. Darn astrologers. :(

The same “consensus” that used to pertain to planetary definitions may one day be the downfall of global warming definitions. :p

ksdb - can you elaborate on what you mean by that?

<!–QuoteBegin>

The same “consensus” that used to pertain to planetary definitions may one day be the downfall of global warming definitions.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I wondered how long it would take. :laugh:

For about 75 years, Pluto has been solidly categorized as a planet (through scientific “consensus”). Seventy-five years from now, it’s possible that the so-called consensus about global warming might change in the same fashion.

Quote (Gizmo @ Aug. 24 2006,16:43)
The same "consensus" that used to pertain to planetary definitions may one day be the downfall of global warming definitions.

I wondered how long it would take. :laugh:
Ah, but how long until the personal attacks come up because I dared to mock the scientific establishment??

That’s going to screw up astrology a bit, my future is at stake, goddamn scientists. It was ketchup on the lens afterall. :p

<!–QuoteBegin>

For about 75 years, Pluto has been solidly categorized as a planet (through scientific “consensus”).

Has it now? This is not true - there was always a question about whether it was a planet or not. In fact, the recent decision is “billed as a victory of scientific reasoning over historic and cultural influences”.

Did you mock the scientific community? I didn’t notice that. If so, why do you do that then? Are you anti-science ksdb?

We know the Earth is warming up, i.e., there’s no disagreement on that as far as I know. The question is: how much is man causing it. Scientific debate s good if it’s verifiable by real facts.

Hey Sinbad - welcome!

<!–QuoteBegin>
That’s going to screw up astrology a bit, my future is at stake, goddamn scientists.

Hey - not mine. I’m still waiting for Vulcan (my planet) to be discovered. :laugh:

Of course the re-designation of Pluto carries no dire consequences one way or the other, whereas global warming…

KF

How many people give a flying poo if Pluto is called a planet or a door stop? I certainly don’t care. There are a couple more pressing issues a little closer to home don’t cha’ think?

D

PS They’ll have to redo all those Disney cartoons too I suppose. S#@t!

<!–QuoteBegin>

Ah, but how long until the personal attacks come up because I dared to mock the scientific establishment??

ksdb, mockery is easy, but criticism is much harder, because real criticism should offer alternatives.

So, do you have a proposed alternative to science?

If so, I really would be interested in hearing what it is.

Or is it just the ‘Scientific Establishment’ that you’re mocking?

Although, I’m not quite sure what you mean by that. I think I may have an inkling, but I’m sure that what I mean by it, is not what you mean by it.
Quote (Pancho @ Aug. 24 2006,21:57)
ksdb, mockery is easy, but criticism is much harder, because real criticism should offer alternatives.

So, do you have a proposed alternative to science?

If so, I really would be interested in hearing what it is.

Or is it just the 'Scientific Establishment' that you're mocking?

Although, I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I think I may have an inkling, but I'm sure that what I mean by it, is not what you mean by it.

I'm mocking the idea that the establishment of a "consensus" automatically establishes a scientific "fact." The idea of a consensus is being used in some parts of the scientific community to leverage and intimidate governments and the general public into believing that global warming is a direct result of human influences. Usually science isn't quite so absolute in its pronouncements. This case with Pluto shows how easily and arbitrarily a prevailing notion (or fact) can be reversed; and on no more basis than a simple popularity vote. Is this a system that should be above reproach and scrutiny??

What’s the matter ksdb - science is your “boggey-man”?

<!–QuoteBegin>

The idea of a consensus is being used in some parts of the scientific community to leverage and intimidate governments and the general public into believing that global warming is a direct result of human influences.

You cannot back up any of this statement with any kind of facts? Who’s intimidating governments? What government has reacted to “leverage & intimidation”?

It’s a no-brainer to assume that human’s are causing or contributing to global warming. We know what greenhouse gases do and we know that man is making greenhouse gases.

Most scientists believe that mankind is contributing to global warming. Prove me wrong.

<!–QuoteBegin>
This case with Pluto shows how easily and arbitrarily a prevailing notion (or fact) can be reversed;

Wrong. Read my previous post - there was always controversy about Pluto. The recent decision is that science rules over emotion/convention.

Once again ksdb has proven his bias & his complete lack of understanding for science.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m mocking the idea that the establishment of a “consensus” automatically establishes a scientific “fact.”

This single statement shows that Joe has a grand misunderstanding of how science works. It’s no wonder his ideas are the way they are.

Mr Montgomery’s views in general make me think of another Montgomery

I must be a scientist because my prediction came true.

Prediction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction

<!–QuoteBegin>

In a scientific context, a prediction is a rigorous (often quantitative) statement forecasting what will happen under specific conditions, typically expressed in the form If A is true, then B will also be true. The scientific method is built on testing assertions which are logical consequences of scientific theories. This is done through repeatable experiments or observational studies.

What did you predict?

Guys - Joe’s true nature shows through in this post. He won’t response to our statements because he’s weak & he’s wrong. When you try to serioulsy converse with him, it never works, i.e., he resorts to the tactics we’ve seen him use time & time again.

Quote (ksdb @ Aug. 24 2006,16:46)
Ah, but how long until the personal attacks come up…

This is his scientific prediction that came true.
I’m guilty.
Heh heh heh :)

Quote (Mr Soul @ Aug. 25 2006,18:48)
Guys - Joe’s true nature shows through in this post. He won’t response to our statements because he’s weak & he’s wrong. When you try to serioulsy converse with him, it never works, i.e., he resorts to the tactics we’ve seen him use time & time again.

And who’s falling for his tactics every time?
Joe’s not the only guy whose true nature shows through these posts.

I’ll go away from this thread now…