Came To Hell For You

Completed Song

Danny Milligan - Came To Hell For You

Well, this song was composed completely on the “grid”, so to speak. I figured out how to write drums with midi, I just imported a drum track and erased all the beats out, then it would let me add my own, lol! The only shortcoming: I never could find a snare drum, so ended up using a handclap combined with a tom in the “chorus” sections…

-Danny

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 11 2011, 6:11 AM)

Well, this song was composed completely on the "grid", so to speak. I figured out how to write drums with midi, I just imported a drum track and erased all the beats out, then it would let me add my own, lol! The only shortcoming: I never could find a snare drum, so ended up using a handclap combined with a tom in the "chorus" sections...

-Danny

It can be a long and painful process programming drums but the results are worth the effort as shown here. :agree:

This has certainly tightened up those timing wobbles you've had in some other songs and makes it enjoyable to listen to. Good work.

Did you use n-track drums for the drum sounds? My only (minor) comment is that in a few places the hits (eg crashes) are possibly too loud - or require a softer sound.

Nice guitars. Are these via your Digitech?

mmmmm nice chillout track Danny.
I particularly like how the guitars are stereo’d/panned. Nice playing.

After a hard days work…grab a beer from the fridge…pop this on…fall back into the sofa and ‘chillax’!!

:agree:

Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 10 2011, 12:06 PM)

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 11 2011, 6:11 AM)

Well, this song was composed completely on the "grid", so to speak. I figured out how to write drums with midi, I just imported a drum track and erased all the beats out, then it would let me add my own, lol! The only shortcoming: I never could find a snare drum, so ended up using a handclap combined with a tom in the "chorus" sections...

-Danny

It can be a long and painful process programming drums but the results are worth the effort as shown here.

This has certainly tightened up those timing wobbles you've had in some other songs and makes it enjoyable to listen to. Good work.

Did you use n-track drums for the drum sounds?
My only (minor) comment is that in a few places the hits (eg crashes) are possibly too loud - or require a softer sound.

Nice guitars.
Are these via your Digitech?

No, the drums are strictly midi, I have an older version of ntrack that doesn't have Ntrack drums on it. The crash wasn't as loud until I recorded it as a wav file, then it was overpowering, in my opinion. I tried to eq it down, but then I lost my high-hats and my rim-shot, as well as the handclaps. I've learned a lesson from this: Make the Cymbals on a different track, lol!

The guitars are through the digitech, yes, but I used the same tone for all, going in, then added effects and eq to differentiate them. The first guitar that plays the repeating low-end is one I wanted to ring out, so I recorded that by itself, with chorus and a very short slap-back echo on it. The main rhythm guitar is clean with some reverb, and eq'ed high. There's a texture track where I'm playing A and D minors above the 12th fret, for bell-tones, and those have a bit of delay on them, and then the lead guitar is Classic Flanger and a delay set at 1000 milliseconds, regeneration about 20%, and mix about 60/40 Dry/Wet. The bass, of course, is the guitar pitched down an octave and I compressed the snot out of it and used an ambient reverb on it.
Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 11 2011, 8:47 AM)

No, the drums are strictly midi, I have an older version of ntrack that doesn't have Ntrack drums on it. The crash wasn't as loud until I recorded it as a wav file, then it was overpowering, in my opinion. I tried to eq it down, but then I lost my high-hats and my rim-shot, as well as the handclaps. I've learned a lesson from this: Make the Cymbals on a different track, lol!

Oh, OK, so what did you use as a sound source for the drums? Vsti? Soundfont, or something? You should be able to tweak the cymbal down there.

Yeah, I generally try to keep programmed drums on sep tracks. Kick (mono), snare (mono), and the rest (stereo). Means you can EQ and add effects etc as needed.
Quote: (spreadercraig @ Jan. 10 2011, 1:01 PM)

mmmmm nice chillout track Danny.
I particularly like how the guitars are stereo'd/panned. Nice playing.

After a hard days work...grab a beer from the fridge...pop this on...fall back into the sofa and 'chillax'!!

Thank you, Craig :)
Quote: (spreadercraig @ Jan. 11 2011, 8:01 AM)

After a hard days work...grab a beer from the fridge...pop this on...fall back into the sofa and 'chillax'!!

Yes, that would be great with this song (but as I'm only two days into my post-Christmas diet I 'spose I should be good and avoid the beer :) )
Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 10 2011, 1:53 PM)

Oh, OK, so what did you use as a sound source for the drums?
Vsti?
Soundfont, or something?
You should be able to tweak the cymbal down there.

Yeah, I generally try to keep programmed drums on sep tracks.
Kick (mono), snare (mono), and the rest (stereo).
Means you can EQ and add effects etc as needed.

The drums are strictly midi, created in Piano Roll. In the future, I will be making multiple drum tracks, as you suggested, so I can pan and set different volume envelopes. Especially with the crash cymbals, the volume needs to go down, but the cymbal needs to "sing" longer, so will probably be using a cathedral reverb on just the cymbal tracks, lol!

I have noticed a bug in my version of the program, not sure if it’s in other versions or not. If I have a midi file on the system, and I try to reposition a wav file on another track, N-track will immediately crash. This only happens if there’s a midi file included in the track list, though, not when it’s all wav files. Also, when I’m composing in piano roll, I have noticed it crashes the program every few minutes, so I have had to train myself to save my work every minute or two, when I’m working on a piano roll. Again, it only crashes then, not when I’m messing with wav files…

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 11 2011, 8:57 AM)

Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 10 2011, 1:53 PM)

Oh, OK, so what did you use as a sound source for the drums?
Vsti?
Soundfont, or something?
You should be able to tweak the cymbal down there.

Yeah, I generally try to keep programmed drums on sep tracks.
Kick (mono), snare (mono), and the rest (stereo).
Means you can EQ and add effects etc as needed.

The drums are strictly midi, created in Piano Roll. In the future, I will be making multiple drum tracks, as you suggested, so I can pan and set different volume envelopes. Especially with the crash cymbals, the volume needs to go down, but the cymbal needs to "sing" longer, so will probably be using a cathedral reverb on just the cymbal tracks, lol!

Yea, but Midi doesn't make any sounds by itself so something must be making the sounds for you. Either in the box (Vsti, ntrack drums, or... please no... the Microsoft GM synth thingy), or outside the box (drum machine, midi keyboard).

Once you get that sorted you can find all sorts of lovely drum samplers, samples, generators, etc that give you control over what your drums will sound like.... Which is really cool unless, like me, you get into auditioning 500 snare samples to find the "best" one for the song . :whistle:
Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 11 2011, 9:03 AM)

I have noticed a bug in my version of the program, not sure if it's in other versions or not. If I have a midi file on the system, and I try to reposition a wav file on another track, N-track will immediately crash. This only happens if there's a midi file included in the track list, though, not when it's all wav files. Also, when I'm composing in piano roll, I have noticed it crashes the program every few minutes, so I have had to train myself to save my work every minute or two, when I'm working on a piano roll. Again, it only crashes then, not when I'm messing with wav files...

What version of ntrack are you using?
Quote:

Yea, but Midi doesn't make any sounds by itself so something must be making the sounds for you. Either in the box (Vsti, ntrack drums, or... please no... the Microsoft GM synth thingy), or outside the box (drum machine, midi keyboard).

Once you get that sorted you can find all sorts of lovely drum samplers, samples, generators, etc that give you control over what your drums will sound like.... Which is really cool unless, like me, you get into auditioning 500 snare samples to find the "best" one for the song . :whistle:

I guess it's just the default microsoft midi sounds the thing uses, lol!

I’m using version 2.3

I first purchased 1.33 and Flavio told me to upgrade to this one (I bought N-track back in '99, as I recall…)

I will be upgrading to the newest version as soon as I get my quad-core built, but I saw no point in upgrading when the one I have NOW is pretty much maxing out my HT system, lol!

My member rating dropped from 4.0 to 1.6… what exactly is that, and is it good or bad that it went down?
:D

Danny! Can I ask - are you moving midi tracks around in the timeline rather than in the pianoroll? That can cause all sorts of shnit.

No, Tony, as far as I know, you can’t move a midi track on timeline, can you? No, what I’m doing is editing pieces of a wav track, and repositioning them on the track. Normally, this is never a problem, but if there IS a midi track on the song, then the program crashes if I try to move anything at all, wav or midi.

Ok. I’ve come across simillar issues but I only get crashes when I have obviously overloaded and over complicated things - but I can/do/am working on a few bits that are HEAVY with both midi and wav - so it is possible:-)

Yes, you can move midi around in the TL but there are a few idiosyncrasies, and I haven’t sussed all of them, yet. One peculiarity I found, is, If you alter the length of a section of midi in the TL, and then move it, it will be out of synch with the pianoroll (easily dragged to possition but may cause crash).

Hi dannyraymilligan and Gents:

I believe I heard you mention about “Saving” “every-so-often”…
Good practice…
as…
I believe one can run out of Memory/RAM in a heartbeat… As you begin playing around on the timeline, all that stuff requires that you have lots of RAM, till you use the Command “Save As”…

Having said that,
Am I correct in suggesting that n-Track crashes if all the available RAM on your machine is exhausted ???? when editing ????

I like the Guitar Sound that you use/get with you guitar tracks…
However, I think…
and that’s my taste…
of course…
You might be using too much delay repeat(s) on these guitar tracks, for this song…
Which ever guitar track it is, that’s repeating…

Just one repeat on that track for my taste…
:laugh:

Good, anyway…
dannyraymilligan… :)

Bill…