Can't have two ASIO sources open at the

same time. OS or card specific problem?

Stupid question # 999. Why can’t I have two ASIO sources open at the same time in my system (XP)? If I try to open up two ASIO standalone apps, like say n-Track and a softsyth at the same time, it’s a no-go situation. Is this an OS or a soundcard specific issue, and is there any way to do this?Thanks n-Trackers.

I think it’s something to do with the way the ASIO drivers work.

I get around this by using ASIO for n-Track and WDM for cool edit pro.

That lets me open up CEP to edit a wav without having to shut N down.

If you uncheck “Keep devices open” in Preferences > Audio Devices > Advanced, n-Track should release the ASIO driver in the background if another program using ASIO is brought to the foreground. I don’t know how well this works because my wave editors only use WDM drivers. It works like Rich said above.

TG

If you have ASIO drivers selected you can’t uncheck the “keep audio devices open” option.

I asked Flavio about that ages ago and he said it was part of the ASIO spec that meant it wasn’t possible for 2 things to access the driver/device at the same time

Rich

Quote (RichLum @ Nov. 08 2005,18:34)
If you have ASIO drivers selected you can't uncheck the "keep audio devices open" option.

I asked Flavio about that ages ago and he said it was part of the ASIO spec that meant it wasn't possible for 2 things to access the driver/device at the same time

Rich

Yep. You are correct! I just tried it. It will uncheck... but n-Track sets it back for you. Hmmm... Cubase LE has a similar function that works. It is "Release ASIO driver in background" as far as I can tell it works. Wonder whats the diff?

TG

I have an old Terretec EWS88 and the ASIO driver interface for it allows you to choose between multi-tracking or multi-applications, but not both.

I’ve heard that ASIO isn’t always all that it’s cracked up to be, and other drivers can get low latencies if you try lowering the buffering settings. A fast and efficient computer helps though.

Quote (J.W. @ Nov. 09 2005,11:38)
I've heard that ASIO isn't always all that it's cracked up to be,

As with all things computer... it depends on the quality of the programmer(s) who wrote the code. :)

I've had no trouble out of the ASIO driver for my EMU. RME is reputed to be the shiznit when it comes to drivers for their hardware. Their stuff is expensive though...

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hmmm… Cubase LE has a similar function that works. It is “Release ASIO driver in background” as far as I can tell it works. Wonder whats the diff?

It kind of thing generally works by completely closing and opening the devices when the apps gain and lose focus. The app with focus gets the device. This is similar to, yet opposite of, n-Tracks “Keep devices open” functionality – n-Tracks function may not be closing down enough for it to work for ASIO. When an app does not have focus the device is available for other apps as if the first app isn’t running. The down side is that if any other apps are opened that don’t do the same thing the you won’t be able to switch back.