Can hear background music but not voice

Headphone not picking up microphone

I can hear the background music while I have my headphones on but I can’t hear myself sing.

Seem like all the volume levels are up.

What gives?

I’m using a Presonus firebox.

Given the amount of info we have to go on I’d suggest turning the volume down if it’s so loud you can’t hear yourself.

If that doesn’t help, maybe you can give us a little more to go on.

Was this a change from a previous configuration? If so what was changed?

If it’s just something that you need to figure out tell us about your signal chain and the way your monitoring is set up.

What are you trying to achieve?

Hi Guys:
I am wondering if this issue might be a “Phase Relationship” of the recorded Tracks and the Vocal track, being recorded?

I’ve heard this issue happening on stages in the Live Inviroment…

Just at the Point of being in the “Mix”… the front man says he can’t hear himself… Ya put his “Monitor/Send” signal… Out-of-Phase… and all is fine… Could this be the Conditioning Factor? ???

Bill…

Well what’s confusing to me is that I have volume controls on my Presonus Firebox, Presonus Mixer software, and the n-track.

Here’s what I did:

1) In n-track I go to Add Channel/Insert wav file. I choose the background music that I saved on the hard drive.
2) I hit record and wala…

I can hear myself when the monitors are on but when I put the headphones on I can’t hear anything. The

What controls do I need to fiddle with to hear myself in the headphones?

Thanks in advance

<!–QuoteBegin>

What controls do I need to fiddle with to hear myself in the headphones?

A bit more information would help us to help you.

I’ve not used the Firepod but I think you are plugging the headphones into headphone socket on the Firepod??? In which case where are you plugging in your speakers? To another soundcard?

Presumamably your have to route n-Track’s audio-out to the Firebox so the headphone socket works - which you must have done because you can hear the backing track.

In which case your problem must be a software routing issue within the Firebox software - to route the input source to the output(Firebox).

You haven’t said, but I’m guessing that your can record the input source?

Mark

Ok. I found out the problem.

I had to set the mixer settings from Presonus to “Mix with Phones” and then play with the controls for the “software” settings until I could hear myself through the microphone.

I’m still having problems when playback after a record to hear myself.

Oh well no one said this would be easy.

If I upgrade to the 24-bit version of n-track would that make it easier?

Thannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnks

<!–QuoteBegin>

If I upgrade to the 24-bit version of n-track would that make it easier?

Probably not. It’ll have to do with the presonus mixer software, more than likely.