Can I "record" internet streaming audio?

I have nTrack version 5. There are some audio files I want to be able to play with in nTrack. But they are only streaming online, and not available for download.

Can I have nTrack “listen” to internet audio and create a track out of it?

Thanks so much!
—Michael

Yes, I’ve done it, no problem. But I don’t remember how. So that’s useless, eh?

I don’t know if you can or not - if you can it will be by setting n-track as your player of choice in your internet browser - never tried it though.

You may be able to set your RECORDING source in the Windows Volume Control/Mixer app to “What you hear” or “Stereo Mix” and then choose that in n-Track to record from. Basically, ANYTHING going out the sound cards output can be recorded.

Should work…

D

Yeah, I’ve done it. Basically do what D suggests above.

Yep…What D said although I tend to use Sound Forge for this I can’t see why you can’t do it with N…

Ray

Seems to me I used to use a program called “Virtual Audio Cable” to accomplish this (cost something like $30). But eventually I just hooked up a line from my soundcard’s output to its input and recorded audio streams that way. The supposed loss of quality from digital-analog-digital conversion has never been an issue since internet streams are already of such limited quality.

Anyway for a simple, inexpensive-yet-effective method, you may want to give it a whirl.

Good call Bill. The “real” cable is only about 5 bucks versus 30 for VAC…

D

…chances are you already have the cable anyway.

Heh… right again. I bet I’ve thrown away a dozen of those things over the years during the annual cable/gear bag clean out… It’s always a hoot cleaning that bag out because I’m always finding odd-ball cables and have no CLUE how they got there??? :laugh:

D

Some soundcards can do this without a physical cable. My old ESI card has this feature:
"DirectWIRE - easy to use - endless possibilities
DirectWIRE is ESI’s virtual digital patchbay that is layered between the physical hardware I/O channels and the driver interfaces to the various audio applications.

It allows you to virtually route audio streams within different audio applications. In a simple panel you can connect the inputs and outputs of the different driver standards (MME, WDM/DirectSound, ASIO, GSIF) and the physical inputs of the hardware with each other with virtual audio cables. It does not matter what driver standard is used for playback and which one is used for recording. You want to record streaming data from an internet broadcasting (like RealAudio) in your audio editor (like SoundForge)? No problem. You want to record multiple audio channels from a surround DVD playback (e.g. from WinDVD) into your multichannel application (e.g. SONAR)? Just do it! Of course the most classical feature is that you can directly record the output signal from GigaStudio into your audio/MIDI sequencer."

Anyway - if you stream a file you should find it in your Temporary Internet Files folder afterwards (sort by filesize). Grab that file & drag it to whatever permanent folder you want it. With a little luck it will be in a format you’ll be able to play back. If not, google the file extension and find a free player. Download.com will probably have it.
The same approach is good for youtoob or whatever video stream you’d like to keep.

just hit record in n-track before starting the stream. afterward you will have to trim the ends, of course.