Can this be true?

microsoft and piracy

Hey all
I ran across this in the tape op forum. If its true then shame on Bill!
Check out the link below!

http://slashdot.org/article…9&tid=1

Well, I looked at the WAV files and can only say that they do indeed contain the references to “Deepz0ne” and SoundForge 4.5. If an MS employee made them (i.e., they’re not licensed from some outside company/artist), then I figure they owe SonicFoundry or Sony Pictures a registration fee for one copy of SoundForge 4.5, plus interest and damages :)

Tony

Well I for one can’t stand to see this sort of thing going on! Come on guys! If we each pony up a few bucks apiece we can help poor ol’ William Gates out! Somebody collect the pledges and I’ll send Microsoft a full copy of SoundForge 7.0.

Sniff…sniff…I can’t stand it! Come on guys…let’s help these poor folks out!

TG – Heart justa bleedin’…

Yeah, I saw this back in November at another music forum. We were all kinda praying for a government audit, hehe. Here’s a report, except it’s for WMPAUD1.WAV. It’s probably obvious it’s not directly Bill’s fault, as far as we know, but rather his employee(s), but we all know he’s gonna be the main guy to put the blame on, should an auditing group do something about it.

<!–QuoteBegin>

“MS uses a cracked version of Soundforge 4.5 to make WAV files and ships the results in windows.

Want proof?

File : c:\WINDOWS\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\Wav
\WMPAUD1.WAV
Length : 354468
RIFF : 354460
WAVE
fmt : 50
Format : 0x2 => WAVE_FORMAT_MS_ADPCM
Channels : 2
Sample Rate : 22050
Block Align : 1024
Bit Width : 4
Bytes/sec : 22311
Extra Bytes : 32
Samples/Block : 1012
No. of Coeffs : 7
Index Coeffs1 Coeffs2
0 256 0
1 512 -256
2 0 0
3 192 64
4 240 0
5 460 -208
6 392 -232
fact : 4
frames : 349439
data : 354304
LIST : 66
INFO
ICRD : 2000-04-06
IENG : Deepz0ne
ISFT : Sound Forge 4.5
End
bpred idelta
(1, 1) (16, 16)
----------------------------------------
Sample Rate : 22050
Frames : 350152
Channels : 2
Format : 0x00010013
Sections : 1
Seekable : TRUE
Duration : 00:00:15.879
Signal Max : 21848 (-3.52 dB)

Sound Forge saves the name of the registered user to the IENG (‘Engineer’) field, which means …
Microsoft used Radium’s distro of Sound Forge 4.5!!! And shipped the proof with Windows.”

The bigger question is how do I view this in my own files? I tried every type of file I could think of (ASCII, Unicode, etc.) and all garbage. What kind of stuff does N-track and other apps put in the files like this? Sorry, I am just a paranoid little monkey. I can see WMAs containing credit card info etc floating in my head.

Quote (Bubbagump @ Jan. 11 2005,15:28)
I can see WMAs containing credit card info etc floating in my head.

That's a scary thought!

TG - paranoid monkey II.

I tried to open the files listed in the article and they are all garbage in notepad. Any ideas?

<!–QuoteBegin>

RIFFœh WAVEfmt 2 “V 'W ôa ÿ À @ ð Ì0ÿˆÿfact ÿT data h üÿùÿûÿöÿ ð!ð ðà ÿðî! î þ ïÿ Rÿà ï ÿð ÿ î ðñþ1 !ð ÿï ÿ ïð þ ñ1þðBñï ðàðíðÐ âÿ2ÿð ÿ!ÿ ð ÿ ðð!ð ð ðþ ð í1ÿð í 3ð ð! î ð à ð î! à ÿ ÿþ þ!ð 툈îÿð!B4”$031 ðÿÿßÝÜÞàºðÿðÿð"ð! ÿï á ð!ðÿð ðð à/ ð ð ÿñ ñ ðÿ!!àÞAñðÿ! ÿï2î" þ ß ! ï"î ðÿ Cïî à ÿ ÿ à!ðð ð ðñ þ ÿþ þ à ÿ 3Þà!àww3ßÞìÞÌÎÜßÝÞîïÎí QáCBñ511 ðñÿð
ð þ ð!à@ð ß2ÿ ð ÿÿ ð ïà í /ð "ððÿ î" ÿ ð ð1À. ÿ î ðÿ!þÿ ð ð ð ï ï 2Íÿ" ððÿ ÿ ¿¨ÚðÎðÿ1"R!$2S"60A!3 " àþ Ìï Þî îàî þ$ÿ # 0ð "ï!à ÿà àð0à ß "í ÿ ÿÿ ð"Ë " ÿÿ ð ñ !ð à î à î ñ
ÿÿð ðÿ ÿ à 0ß òï ð ð3 í»ÝE! ÿ ÿ ð
Ý! vC! 2 þ ÏÜÎïü¾êÏî ®ûðþÿ ëd±*D2$cE$!41eB% 1C##B&Q$1C

I’m not seeing a whole lot of useful header info in there.

If you open some .wav files from the Windoze tutorials in Notepad and scroll to the bottom… then scroll along the last line toward the right…you should see the info on that last line.

TG

PS I still think we oughta pass the hat for poor ol’ Bill…

You can also use a hex (hexadecimal) editor. Any hex ed will do. That will help clean out the non-English garbage character binaries.