Can you apply effects to MIDI tracks?

I’ve just downloaded the evaluation version and was trying to add some reverb to a midi track – I couldn’t get anything happening.

Is this a limitation of the evaluation version or n-Track in general?

Do I need to convert midi tracks to wave files first?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Phillip; Ntrack does not have effects on the midi, but you can mixdown a midi track to audio, and import the .wav file to put effects on. If you decide to change it, you can just fix it in the midi, either playing it or sequencing it, and re-make the .wav file. Or you can use sfz or soundfontplayer to play soundfonts (*.sf2 files). Since soundfonts are actual audio files, just being sequenced as though they were midi events, all ntrack and 3rd party effects will work on these tracks.

I seem to remember some soundcards having effects for their midi side (usually just reverb and chorus) available through their native mixer controls. Maybe you are lucky? :)

Good luck with ntrack - it is great stuff.

'til next time;
tony w

Thanks for that, Tony. Much appreciated.

You can apply FX to midi tracks if you are using a VSTInstrument. Charge all the fx you need to the VSTi bus and you are done.
If you are using an external midi synth, you need render it first to wave like tony said.

Quote (marce @ June 10 2005,08:57)
You can apply FX to midi tracks if you are using a VSTInstrument. Charge all the fx you need to the VSTi bus and you are done.
If you are using an external midi synth, you need render it first to wave like tony said.

Right. Or, for an external MIDI synth, you can use n-track in LIVE mode.

I find I usually render MIDI tracks to wave before applying effects, but partly it's because the MIDI instruments I use sound good enough without effects. I'd put FX on the Instrument channel as Marce says (do this in mixer view) if I needed some juice before it sounded good enough to record the rest of the parts -- or if the FX was an integral and necessary part of the sound.

Also, some MIDI synths have effects you can control via MIDI -- for example, using MIDI reverb and MIDI chorus. That's entirely different than using a plugin. This isn't a trivial subject! ;) But Marce's answer is the most straightforward approach.