Can you recognize it?

based on a famous piece

In addition to critiquing the song and recording, win bragging rights by being the first to name the famous piece of music that this 2 minute song is based on. What would be best way to improve the recording?

Thanks!

Stolen Flowers by the Sunshades

It’s from Leo Delibe’s opera Lakme, specifically the aria Dome Epais Le Jasmin. You gotta stop listening to jewlery store and chocolate ads. :;): (Can I claim my crown as king nerd now? :D ) Now as for your question, what parts of the recording don’t you like? The drums are a bit phoney sounding, so maybe some work on the sequencing and drums sounds are in order. Past that, what do you like or dislike about this?

Sir Bubba of Gump, we crown thee KING NERD! :D :D

Seriously though, do you have to sign up with Soundclick to download the tune? I don’t like streaming stuff here at work. You know, the network IT S.W.A.T. team comes busting in with tear gas grenades and generally makes a mess of the place…

TG

You only need to sign up to download he file. You can get the streaming versions without signing up if that helps keep the SWAT team at bay.

The Winner is Bubbagump! He is exactly correct!
I suspect that everyone has heard some of Lakme, but I think very few could name it, especially the specific part. Does Bubba have a degree in music?

The drums do need improvement. (I wish they were real actually) For some reason the drum sound picked up a sort of squishy distortion in the mp3 that isn’t in the wav. Anyone know of a solution?

No degree in music, just king nerd. And dude, the tune is on every yogurt, chocolate, European car, and jewlery store ad in one form or another. Everyone should know that aria along with a few others from Puccini, Wagner, Mozart, and Verdi. They are about as famous as you can get. Plus it helps when your girl friend is an opera singer and you are around this stuff all day practically. :)

As for why MP3s make the drums sound washy, well, that’s called aliasing and just part of the trade off you get with MP3. It makes the file smaller but it messes with the high end. I would sugest you use WMA compression instead, it tends to be a little less destructive to your high end. Remember, MP3 and WMA are lossy formats meaning they actually remove parts of the audio to save space adn the high end is the first thing they start to remove.

Quote (ronirvol @ Nov. 27 2004,22:12)
In addition to critiquing the song and recording, win bragging rights by being the first to name the famous piece of music that this 2 minute song is based on. What would be best way to improve the recording?

Thanks!

Stolen Flowers by the Sunshades

The vocals remind me of Pete Townsend of the Who. I thought the harmonies could be a little bit tighter. This may be a matter of lining up the wav files more closely or possibly retracking the vocals and make sure the performance is better synced up. The rhythm guitar sounded a little mushy too, so maybe some eq adjustment in the upper freqs might help. That's all I could think of, good pop song!

Great suggestions! I don’t know why I didn’t think of adjusting the timing on the vocals. A little effort and I could shift many things into place. Good point about the guitar needing some eq also. I thought it sounded bright by itself, but by the time I mixed the song it was lacking. Thanks. My next song will be better!

not my thing personally, but good composition. i agree that the backing harmonies were a little off (timing wise). drums weren’t my favorite either, and i think that everytime the snare would hit, the hi-hat wouldn’t - just sounded funny to me.

least favorite thing was the guitars. that’s just personal taste though. i did like the bass sound a whole lot becuase it was pretty prominant throughout the song.

lates

t-willy