Can you spare 35,000?

Pleeeeeeze?

Wanted: one compressor…

One Compressor wanted for Christmas…click here…

Or you could buy a new loaded up quad core PC and a couple or three UAD cards with all the plugins including the Fairchild… and a new car for the wife…

D

For $50 Reaper has a Fairchild 670 JS effect bundled in. That compressor is crazy complicated to operate but is incredibly flexible if you can figure it out. Thankfully the nice folks at UA have their UAD Fairchild manual online so you can get an idea as to what all the controls do. The 1073 EQ and 1176 comp in Reaper are stupidly good too.

Ah…I have the Nomad Factory LM-662 plug in, here:

http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/analog_signature/lm662.html

But plug ins just are not the same as hardware…so, you guys gonna loan me the 35K? I’ll pay you back, eventually…

:)

And if I hear the “R” word again I’m gonna 'splode… ???

Quote:

so, you guys gonna loan me the 35K?

Ummm... NO! :p

Yeah, there ain't nothing like REAL hardware. That's why I have been un-impressed by amp sim plugins. I'd rather use a DI unit like my Pandora or a POD or summat... better yet, run everybody off and mic up the REAL DEAL!!

Don't 'splode Tom... and don't fear the...

D - didn't say it.

Yaz Loan Sharks and Leg Breaking Inc. is prepared to loan the $35,000 @ 25% interest compounded hourly with your first payment already over due! Contact Yaz Soprano for more details. We will “REAP” the benefits!

Hehehehe.

Anyone seen the new CW TV show “REAPER” yet ???????

Plug ins suck!

(Took 3 days to get logged in here again, what is up with this board?)

Me, I just say, Don’t Fear the Bleeper!

More cowbell!

OK, Yaz, you got a deal…why don’t you just pay for the item, and I will be happy to pay you back on those terms.

If I’m late with a payment and you need to find me, my real name is “Bruffie Woxnerw” and I can usually be found here.

I have an LA2A and really… you would be hard pressed to tell the real thing from a plugin. I was all hot and bothered to run it as an insert for vocals and bass tracks through another nameless DAW that lets you use hardware as plugins, and really, it wasn’t worth the effort to patch it in half the time. Now I just use it while tracking to take do smashing on vocalists and to smush and tubeify bass DIs. It is indeed a glorious unit, but I can’t help but think the cash I have into wouldn’t be better used else where.

Hi TomS:

If you look real close at the image of the back-side of the unit where the the tubes are located you’ll see the top-left tube in the tube-shield to be Milky-in-shade…
/ colour…
That to me means that the tube /bottle is cracked/broken…
It…
the tube may be easy to find-and-replace…
but if it isn’t it could make the unit hard to get it working just right.
The image as I see it doesn’t make it easy to know just what tube should be in that socket.
Can anyone see what tube should be in that socket??
If I was interested in that unit I’d ask some questions…

Instead of it selling for $35 Grand…
maybe they’d settle for $200.00
for the the box…

You think
????

lol…

Bill…

I gather some of the tubes used are no longer made, and are very rare.

That limiter would be so nice to have.
Anything with that many tubes and transformers in it has to like audio…
I have several boxes of 7-and-9 pin tubes in the basement…
They contain …
maybe 75-100 tubes per box…
They would be the commercial versions of the 12AX7’s and .etc of the 9-pin tubes you’d find in the guitar amps of the day…
These were the tubes that the CBC used in their unmanned repeater stations up-and-down the coast in their TV Re-Broadcast Stations…
You see…
the tubes had to be replaced once a month good-or-no good…
to protect against repeater station failure…

At one time I had cartons of them…
2’ x 2’ x 2’
full of tubes used in the broadcast industry…
But…
eventually, they had to go… To make room for other junk that finds it’s way into your basement…
Boxes, full of them…
what a shame…

6L6’s 6BQ5’s EL84’s EL34’s 5Y3’s 5U4’s 5881’s GZ34’s…
I’d sure like to have them today… They’d be worth a fortune…

Bill…

Bill, you are breaking my heart. :heart-break:

Hi TomS:

IT broke my heart to find I had to do it…
(Put those tubes out at the end of the driveway)…
for trash…
It was a shame.
I sold my '63-'64 BassMan top in '72 for $125.00 to a guitar player over in the Valley…
Just the other side of Windsor…
NS…
I still used the 2 X 12" bottom… till I loaned it out one time and it came back with the speakers blown. It had a pair of Oxfords in it from the factory. I replaced them with a pair of D-120 speakers I bought in '68… I liked the sound of 12" speakers for the stages I played on. Anyway, I bought a '72 Acoustic 370 top to replace the BassMan Amp.
I still use and have it today… Anyway, I used to replace the tubes in the BassMan Amp every six months…
However, I never threw them away…
All of those tubes are around somewhere…
It used 5881’s and 12AX7 tubes…
I used to get the 12AX7 tubes for 1.25 and the 5881’s for 6-or-7 dollars back then… NOT ANY MORE…
As good as the Acoustic 370 Amp is, if I had a choice I’d use the '64 BassMan Amp. Nothing like tubes…
AND…
if I only had all those boxes of tubes…
today… They’d be worth a fortune…
Thinking back to some of the tubes that were in the collection…
There were lots of 9-pin dual triodes, of course. of the 9-pin dual triodes there were 12AX7’s 12AT7’s 12AU7’7 12AY7’s and all the commercial 4-numerical numbered tubes…
e.g. 5879’s 5789’s .etc of all those tubes…

But there were 6550’s and 807 output tubes.
These 807 tubes were pentodes…
they’d produce about 10 watts of audio as a single tube in Class A operation… They’d make a great Guitar or Harp Amp… with the correct output transformer and power transformer…

They looked like a coke bottle with a 5-pin base…
with a Plate Cap on the top of them…
Without exaggeration…
I’d say there were 100’s of those 807 tubes…

At the time…
it was just a bad choice, to do away with them…

Bill…

Hey, I used to have an Acoustic 270 head.
Found a picture of the model on this cool website:
http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/GuitarHead260

Check out this stuff:

http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki…rsPart1

I never knew if the amp was any good or not, but I thought it was better than the Vox head I had.
I was not entirely intelligent at the time.
???

Edit: I did not know that Acoustic was back in business:

http://www.acousticamplification.com/

That’s kinda cool.

Hi TomS:

I
never had a ounce of trouble with the amp and setup I used.
However, there may have been several in and around these parts…
The 370 and 371 setups…
When I worked at the Musicstop the 270 and other models of their amps came in and were bought up by the musicians. If I remember, there were 150’s 165’s and I think there was a 140 Series…

Many of those amps gave trouble …
We are 4 hours ahead of the west coast time.
So, I would get on the phone after closing time and ask their service shop for quick fixes to common issues that those amps had…
All of the issues would be “old designs” that would be fixed on-the-fly…
So-to-speak on the assembly lines…
They would send me the updates and parts to bring the circuit boards up to latest design and ask me to report on the updates…

You only saw musicians when they had trouble with their equipment.
I would update their 270 amps and you’d never see them again…

I’d have to say, I like my 370 Bass Amp… The folded -horn cabinet that made the bass amp (the
Model 371) had an Altec 18" 4 ohm speaker factory installed it…
It was a beautiful Bass Amp Setup…
Some of the touring Stages that came through these parts used 371’s but with 2 Folded Horn Cabinets…
The 370 Top powered that set-up flawlessly…
The bottom end levels from those stages were bone shattering…
but…
I’d have to say that the Ampeg SVT with the 8 X 10" cabinet was considered the Bass Amp Standard.
There are several stages around here that continue to use the SVT Amps…
I used to maintain all those amps during my time at the Musicstop…
It costs a fortune now to re-tube those amps…
The only thing is…
I couldn’t move those amp-tops by myself… They are too heavy…
The biggest issues those amps have is…
To make sure that the BIAS Voltage on the 6550’s is adjusted correctly…
If the BIAS is not adjusted properly the amp sounds awful and the 6550 tubes don’t last any length of time.

Bill…

See? Not matter where the conversaion goes, we’re back to tubes! :)