Cant Hear Playback

Soundcard change gives me problems

hi guys, ive been using N for over 3 years in my friends studio with no problems on a SB live souncard, slowly learning the features as we went. has been great for making mix cd’s

recently tho we changed the main motherboard & souncard to a Creative E-MU 0404 for better recording,

Before we used to “line in” to the SB live from mixer using a L & R RCA to 3.5ml jack and “line out” 3.5ml jack to L & R RCA to my amp.

Since changing we use the L & R channel 1/4 inch master output from the mixer into the red and white 1/4 inputs on the E-MU soundcard & we used the onboard realtek sound card for playback through a line out to the amp.

now when we open N we get 6 recording V-U meters on the left instead of the regular 2 which would have normally shown the left and right channels, also since we changed the soundcard we are unable to hear the playback of tracks even tho the playback vu meter is bouncing away.

i think its something to do with recording from the E-Mu & playback coming from the onboard Realtek soundcard in the motherboard because when we load the wavs into our external editor (cooledit pro) we can hear the sound fine (all sound works when watching movies or in mediaplayer)

any ideas??

Quote: (the d.o.c @ Sep. 04 2007, 10:48 PM)

hi guys, ive been using N for over 3 years in my friends studio with no problems on a SB live souncard, slowly learning the features as we went. has been great for making mix cd's

recently tho we changed the main motherboard & souncard to a Creative E-MU 0404 for better recording,

Before we used to "line in" to the SB live from mixer using a L & R RCA to 3.5ml jack and "line out" 3.5ml jack to L & R RCA to my amp.

Since changing we use the L & R channel 1/4 inch master output from the mixer into the red and white 1/4 inputs on the E-MU soundcard & we used the onboard realtek sound card for playback through a line out to the amp.

now when we open N we get 6 recording V-U meters on the left instead of the regular 2 which would have normally shown the left and right channels, also since we changed the soundcard we are unable to hear the playback of tracks even tho the playback vu meter is bouncing away.

i think its something to do with recording from the E-Mu & playback coming from the onboard Realtek soundcard in the motherboard because when we load the wavs into our external editor (cooledit pro) we can hear the sound fine (all sound works when watching movies or in mediaplayer)

any ideas??

Start by checking the n-track Preferences for "Devices". You probably have the E-MU card set as the output device in n-track, and it seems that your speakers are plugged into the output of your onboard Realtek card.

I suggest that you use the E-MU for all output from the PC (which will mean pluggin the speakers into the E-MU card and also going into the Audio settings in Control Panel and setting the output device that Windows uses to the E-MU - Otherwise you won't be able to hear your movies etc).

Xon is correct here, use the 0404 for rec and playback. The DSP patchmix is the reason for seeing the mutiple recs. Open the rec meter and playback meters in nTrack and click on the little hammer at the bottom to set the asio rec/playback channels (you are using asio drivers right). The E-mu card should be checked to make sure there is no IRQ sharings also, this could give you headaches down the road. You can route all the patches to the mixing board if you have aux and sub outputs, making for seperate headphone mixes and such. I use the 0404 with my amp speakers run from the control room/monitor from the board. I use the subgroup direct outs to rec, the main mix is my playback, and use aux channels 5/6 for seperate headphone amp mixes. If using the seperate headphone mix suggestion, you need to mute the rec channel buttons on the patchmix for the rec channels, this will still send the rec signal but mute playback. Then the mix will have the recorded instrument playing back and aux sends will give the seperate controll for the headphone mix without causing phasing problems from the instrument and main mix playing back the same thing twice.

Yaz :)