catch as catch can

FREE virus/trojan catcher

many of you will alteady have your PCs stuffed to the gills with ANTI VIRUS software, the problem with that is that unless your software is ALREADY AWARE of that virus/trojan it MAY not prevent it for activating on your PC -

the link below will take you to a great FREE app that alerts you the second that any software has installed itself in your AUTOSTART PROGRAMS folder - this means that you are aware that there is a threat and as long as you do not re-start your PC the virus/trojan cannot activate - you can then GOOGLE for it and any other autostart items that you are not sure of that are shown in the listing and permanenly remove it from autostarting -

says WIN XP and 2000 only but runs in ME OK and should run in 98se -

also has a much smaller footprint than an antivirus checker so it wont bloat up your PC -

http://www.konradp.com/products/autostart-and-process-viewer/?id=apv

Dr J

Hi Gents:

With all the struggles I’ve had lately with this… I’ll be looking into this stuff…
I sense this feeling that once you get a Trojan Hit, you are always recovering from it…

I think the usable memory resources took the brunt of this Trojan/Virus…
The “Blue Screens” are gone now…
Well, mostly… I get one if I knowingly abuse this P-111…
Then I pay…
It’s taken me all summer to get the machine back to where it is now…
One good thing about all this…
I didn’t loose any data, I don’t think so…
AND…
I didn’t have to rebuild the Operating System…
What a consolation…
EH?

Bill…

Hi Doc J:

I browsed that link up-and-down the page to find that Auto Start Utility…
It looks great…
I downloaded a few other utilities while I was there…
I installed that auto start application and it did exactly what I thought it would do… It worked just great…

However, after navigating around the program some strange things began to happen…
The screen began to “Flicker and Blink” for reasons I don’t know about and I got a weird feeling about it…
Not knowing anything I just let it do it’s duty and idle there, when my machine crashed/blue screened…
Who knows what it was??
I don’t…

Anyway, I rebooted the machine and just before the desk appeared it Blue Screened, again…
Another boot up and the same thing…
I re-booted into Safe Mode and removed the application and then after the desk appeared, I Backdated the system to an earlier restore point…
I would like to reinstall this program but I’m a little sensitive to giving it a go…

The program automatically installs into the auto start area of the operating system…
so it’s there at boot time…
I’m not sure what did happen but I know it stresses this machine…
“Big Time”…

What’do’yea
think DOC?

Bill…

[EDIT]
What do you know… I can edit this one…

I now wonder if the Panda AntiVirus+Firewall 2008 application doesn’t like that utility playing around in there? If that’s the case I can turn off A+F 2008 till I edit the autoStart menu and then turn the EDIT Utility back on … again…

[EDIT]

What do you know…
I can edit this one…

I now wonder if the Panda AntiVirus+Firewall 2008 application doesn’t like that utility playing around in there?
If that’s the case I can turn off A+F 2008 till I edit the autoStart menu and then turn the EDIT Utility back on …
again…

**********************************************************************************

What I ment to say…
is…

If that’s the case I can turn off A+F 2008 till I edit the autoStart menu and then turn the A+F 2008 back on… again …
Well…

There…
I said it…
AGAIN…
:)
THIS TIME…
:p

Hi Bill

have it running on 2 PCS no problems at all WIN ME and 2000 - dont have Panda or any AV software running so cant comment on how it behaves with Panda - try turning off Panda and see if AVP runs OK - if OK sort out the autostart folder and then remove AVP from the autostart listing,there are 2 avp entries i in autostart called AVP and 1 in processes which shows an empty line with a 0 in brackets - you can then start it from its icon and use it ehen you want to remove autostart apps -

Dr J

Hi Doc J:

Thanks for that reply…

About the only thing I can say is…
Me and this P-111 just ain’t on the same page anymore…

I’d like to get the LAN here up-and-running again…
It’s been down for far too long.

That means going back into the studio… I’ve not been in there for so long…
Why is That?
I have a negative attitude regarding goin’ in there…
It’s far too hot in there…
I have no ventilation…
and I can think of a hundred other reasons…
I have no business in there…

I used to spend far too many hours in there…

Bill…

im am really sorry Bill that you are having trouble - you may have gathered by our other communications that i would NEVER NEVER suggest any software to another without first giving it a thrashing on my PCs -

it is unfortunate that in this life we are half a world apart and i cannot pop around one evening to see if i could be of help - we have a lot in common, but it does not look like FATE is going to grant us a meeting -

yours Dr J

Hi Doc J:

Don’t you worry about that aspect of this stuff over here not working correctly…
The challenge is on this end.
I am gonna send some mail off to Panda Canada…
The group seems quite interested in their customers including this setup… on their Radar Screens…
ever sense we hooked up…
I’m gonna ask them about this utility to see if their group has any experience with that application running with their applications…

It’s the same with n-Track and Flavio and several other software groups that we all deal with at some level… as it applies to our passion…
It’s all in the name of Audio…
with us…
for others ?
whatever they’re into…
Who knows???

I think that AUDIO is one of the greatest unknowns when computers are involved…
I believe audio places the greatest stress-and-demands on computers…
and it appears to be given the least attention (across the Board) when it comes to using computers for anything that computers are used for…
We (audio Geeks) are all a tough lot…
whatever software/hardware combinations we use in our setups…

It seems that some combinations of software works better on some computers than others…
It’s a continual process of finding the combination of utilities that work better on the machines we each have…

Radar Wayne eluded to the time spent on creating music on computers versus the time spent on computers getting them to work correctly…
Versus the time spent on creating music on Turnkey Setups…

But in-the-end…
both setups are necessary and used to create the “End Product”…

In my opinion…
if you want to “Track” you use a Turnkey Setup…
BUT If you want to “Edit” a Turnkey Setup ain’t any good…
Well…
that’s what I think…

Maybe, that’s why I have this Tracker’s Block…
Who knows??

Bill…

I’m back Again Doc J:

I didn’t get to try that utility again yesterday without that Panda application…
Today I want to try to install it again and not launch Panda.

In the meantime I installed that CPUMonitor. I have on the desk it appears to reside there just fine…

An outstanding issue I have is getting the Panda Data Base to recognize my P-111 machine with the Reg. codes that I have be assigned with.
It’s possible that the instability that this machine has is because the Panda Application itself is unstable…
The Panda People and I have been working on this…
Maybe that will get settled, today…

Bill…

Hi Bill -

glad you are getting closer to sorting out your P111, i have 1 Celeron and 2 P111 PCs find P111 better than P4 laptop i have access to -

RE AUTOSTART AND PROCESS VIEWER - IT WORKS - just caught an APP called “Quick Time Task” that appeared in autostart folder while on line -

recently reset my firewalls to zero - (started them over again with no accepts) so now i can see what is happening much clearer -

ONE THING PUZZELS ME - having set every thing to zero - when i opened N, firewall said permit or block N track - i looked in N and i had search for updates (or whatever it says) UNTICKED so N should not be accesing the internet BUT IT DID - WHY is a question yet to be answered -? -

Dr J

Hi Doc J:

I have to update the Panda People with some mail this morning…
I just completed a scan now that Panda has “called home” after installing another set of Reg. codes… I think the Panda Data Bank is gonna recognize this set…
I did an electronic mail reply from their data bank to get these…
So, I’d say we could very well be on the same page now…
What a struggle… Somehow it’s not Panda, that has all these issue…
I wonder who it is??
As the scan was completing I did a print screen…
I’ll send the link to it off to them that will confirm a completed scan… The last scan produced a Blue screen on this machine…
It shows the CPUMonitor utility working as the scan was in operation…
I’ll post it up here…
Maybe, you can comment on the stress this machine is under as the scan progresses…

[EDIT]

Great… I’m able to edit this post… I wanted to add another .02 to it…

The image is the first link to this Board for me. It’s O.K. But the proceedure is somewhat different… However, It’s O.K. Thank you Flavio and…

© 2007 Flavio Antonioli