CBC Special..

January 30th…

Hi All:
For any of you people that can “Hook” up to a CBC Feed, you might find this interesting. I got this in my mail this morning, along with Posters and all… But here is the text of what will appear on this 2-hour Special…

Subject: Shakin’ All Over

Greetings,

This coming Monday, Jan. 30th at 8pm, CBC will be airing “Shakin All Over”, a 2 hour special based on the Nicholas Jennings book called “Before the Gold Rush”. This book covers the formative years of the Canadian music scene during the 60’s and early 70’s. I think that you will find this CBC special to be very informative and very enjoyable. My late brother, Domenic, is one of the many Canadian music pioneers who are featured in this program. Please try and watch it or perhaps tape it (See attached poster). Pass this on to anyone who you think would be interested in watching this Special.

Best regards,

Frank Troiano

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IiKkNnOoWw… the posters wouldn’t appear… :O

Anyone who can scan a network feed… this might turn your Crank…

Bill…

Bill, I’d sure like to see that. :)

Hey guys, these feeds are free… Will it be on any of these?

http://wwitv.com/portal…tm?http

Edit: Hrm, doesn’t look like the CBC ones are live…

Hi guys:
I’m expecting that the Broadcast times will start at 7 - 8 pm. Your times… They have been talking/promoting this Special for some time now… Back in those days, the CBC was a BIG promoter of the Music Industry here in Canada…

But if you could find an Up-Link Feed of this you’d be on time, right across the Time-Zones. I used to get what was known as Back-Haul Feeds when I had all that stuff… There were no commercial breaks and all… just the programming… That was back in the early '80’s… I think TV Broadcasting is a lot different … these days…

On this Special you’re gonna hear what the Music Industry of Canada has to offer the Globe, in their Day… I was unable to post the Banners, of the Special… But I have a File on a Drive here, if anyone is interested…

Who knows… There might even be a “Cameo” appearence of me… lol…

I can remember back in the early '90’s… late ‘80’s when I heard that the Halifax Library of the CBC was being “Emptied” of all the 2" video Tape of the Locally Produced stuff here… IT all had to go… You’ll find IT in the Land-Fill Site… here… Ya just have to go down about 50’… IT’s ALL There… What a Shame… History will never know what went on around here… Musically… that is…

IT was somebody way up at the top that decided that the space that had/stored all the 2" tape was needed for something else. My Brother as-well-as a lot of other guys that are not with us now worked there fo 30+ years, till he retired, worked behind the Cameras on all that stuff… :O ???

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ Jan. 25 2006,08:51)
… My late brother, Domenic, is one of the many Canadian music pioneers who are featured in this program. Please try and watch it …

Best regards,

Frank Troiano

Domenic Troiano…a music pioneer? That’s damning him with faint praise. The guy was a legend.

I caught the show tonight - it was quite good. A little uneven, giving preference to the Toronto Scene more so than any other I thought, but still very good.

And heck I can’t remember the last time I even thought about The Paupers or The Sparrow. It brought back a lot of memories.

I have a Domenic Troiano LP (vinyl) in perfect condition that I still play. Never knew anything of him but liked his guitar playing. I would very much like to see the program you are speaking of but I think it is probably too late.

cliff
:cool:

Hi BillClarke:
I was pretty close to the screen. I think what we saw was a perspective of whoever assembled the Clips-and-Footage of whatever could be found… I call it the “Scraps” of what remains of the music industry of that time period, in Canada… A few minutes was given to Ann Murray and the Great Scots from this end of the country… That’s all well and good… They gave a little time to the Lighthouse… The Horn section of that stage comprised of the Jollimore Brothers… Their hometown was from right here in Halifax…

I know a lot of musicans from this end of the country that left here with little more than the clothes on their backs and four bauld tires and no money in their pockets for hamburgers, headed for TO to become Stars… playing their music… Brian Ahern, was one of them… In my opinion… that is… There were others… of course… Their family ties were from the Cape Breton Island, area… they were called “Capers”… Their parents were Coal Miners… with roots in Ireland…

A nice “Spread” was done on Ronnie Hawkins… A Great Enertainer… But nothing on Dutchie Mason… He was awarded an “Order of Canada” citation, along with others, for his contribution to the music industry in Canada… Too Bad… This guy knows “The Blues” in the First Person… Dutchie was quite creative when he had a bottle of Canadian Club… in his hand… He wouldn’t deniey it… That’s the way it was… Him and BB King were great buddies…

Allow me to put a positive note to this…

With a country as large as Canada and a population base of some 30 million… we can hold our Musicial Heads pretty high…

Mabey, they’ll find the real footage/clips and do a sequal… :O ??? :;):

Bill…

The Steppenwolf footage was from the ‘Ed Sullivan Show’, I remember seeing it at the time.

There must be ‘tons’ of footage of Ann Murray but they only seemed to play the stuff from her CBC Specials.

The only footage they showed from the Festival Train project was a clip of Robert Charlebois and there is an entire feature movie’s worth of footage from that project.

They spoke a lot about Yorkville (which was kind of cool) but didn’t show much footage from that era and I know lots of film was shot, I’d hate to think it’s all ended up in some landfill site here in Upper Canada (but who knows?)

Bill - I think I’ve told you before that I’m a bluenose by extension. Both parents. My dad was born and raised in Springhill (son of a coal miner) and my mother was a Caper from Sydney (Whitney Pier, to be specific). My Irish stock is bona fide.

Quote (g8torcliff @ Jan. 31 2006,07:33)
I have a Domenic Troiano LP (vinyl) in perfect condition that I still play. Never knew anything of him but liked his guitar playing.

In Canada, Cliff, every guitar player (at least, of my generation) wanted to be Dom Troiano.

Personally, I didn't think he was a good fit with the Guess Who - nothing against him and nothing against them - it just didn't seem to 'gel' in my opinion. But before and after that two year period he laid down some amazing stuff.

Thanks for your post BillClark:
These miners and steel makers are and were a pretty tough bunch of people… Out of their hard labour comes a flavour of music that reflects their disipline… Miners have recently lost their lives in Kentucky/West Virginia… and out in Saskatchewan, where the potash miners came out… alive…

Coal ain’t a thing of the past yet… Now there’s talk of re-opening the Donkin Mines, out in the Sydneys… There’s lots of coal there if ya want to expend the lives of these people… And yes… they wantta work… They need something to do… If they don’t bring the potash out… they’ll bring out the coal…

Bill…

http://domenictroiano.com/
I’ve got an old, post Joe Walsh, James Gang album with Dom on it. It’s pretty different fro the James Gang, but there’s a few songs on it that great. They are great because of his playing. I don’t remember many good “songs” in the writing sense, but they are all played really well. I had no idea who he was at the time. Now I want to drag out that old LP and give it another listen.

Hi phoo:
You got a Collector’s Item … there… Is there a Credit List of the other guys on the Jacket? And other tidbits of History on it? Where would those tracks have been done? Do you think? Well…

Bill…

“jokes on me” is the one i have…i will have to pull it out and give it a listen…(yeah, i still have a turntable hooked up - had to buy a little preamp for it though). :)

cliff
:cool:

I have Straight Shooter, the brown one. It’s shown in the discography of his website. I’m sure he’s greatly missed.

I have to BRAG a little now… :O

I had a photo sent to me from a group that played over at a hotel in Dubie… Is that how it’s spelt? United Arab Replubic… Over where Broffie lives…

Anyway he was and played as a guest on that stage, one night… Joe Walsh was playing a Legend Guitar that I wired as a NEW Guitar at the Legend Guitar Shop… Just down the street from where I live… It sortta makes me feel real proud… If I find the photo again, I’ll put it up and post link to it…

Bill…

[EDIT]
I’ll say it… cause who else would know… There’s some pretty Hi-Profile AXE Players playing Legend Guitars that I wired over in that Shop… And… some of those guitars got sold right off the Hotel stages after the Shows over in Vegas… Some people think it’s the Guitar that makes the music… Little do they know… Guitars don’t play themselves… ??? :laugh: