CD burning/mastering

Suggested enhancements?

I often use n-track for simplistic mastering - ie I import a collection of mixdowns into n-track and assign their play order, tweak volumes, make minor eq/compression adjustments. Then I want to burn the resultant mix onto a CD as separate tracks

What I currently have to do is perform a mixdown from my mastering project and import the file into Nero where I use the “Willy Method” to carve the one big long track into separate tracks. This is a PITA especially as I have the separate tracks already in n-track.

n-track’s cd burning seems to be very limited (ie it’s just a simple front end to burn a collection of tracks/mixes.) Would anyone be interested in seeing extended functionality? For example, what about using Markers as track identifiers and then generating a cue file from n-track (Nero and other burners can support cue files). This would mean I could use the cue file to define the track points rather than the “Willy Method”. It would be quicker and much more accurate and perhaps the Marker names could be used as the track names again saving time and accuracy.

Or even better, would be to burn the cue file and mix file from within n-track.

Comments?


X
.
.

Oh, here’s the Willy Method in case you don’t know…
and here’s a resource on Cue files

.
.
.

OK, just me then.

For anyone listening in on my soliloquous thread, I’ve discovered that Reaper can do what I’m looking for although I’d rather not have to go outside n-track.

X
.
.

Hey X, you’re not alone…

Oh, how I wish I had that kind of info just weeks ago when I mastered, burned and wrapped a larger, commercial (my first, in fact!) project for shipment to a record company… :p

Anyway, those links provide some useful info indeed…

regards, Nils

I hear voices in my head… oh, it’s only you Nils. Glad you could join me in my thread. I was getting lonely.

It seems that this feature is only relevant when you’ve been through what you and I have done when “mastering” our own projects.

I’m gonna keep looking for a solution (at the moment it’s Reaper but I’m having a few plugin related issues).

Reaper seems to use an XML (like) file as it’s project file so it’s easier for third party programmers to write little utilities like the one I found (ReaBurn I think it’s called) to extract and manipulate the song’s data… and in this case generate a cue file.

X
.
.