CD Speeded Up!!

Final CD plays too fast

Howdydodee, y’all. (“Thanks” to those who’ve helped me recently) It’s taken me 6 months to get my first track mastered to a single .wav file: a real uphill fight! Now I’ve fallen at the last hurdle.
My .wav plays fine on the PC, but when I burn it to CD the recording plays back slightly speeded up: I’d guess maybe 15 seconds over a 3-minute song. I have no reason to doubt the CDDrive.
Is this even an N-Track issue?
What do you reckon?

If it plays back fine using, e.g., windows media player, then it couldn’t be n-Track, could it?

This calls for the experimental method to properly eliminate the variables.
1.Are you checking the little box on the mixdown dialogue box that says "burn a CD?"

2.Have you tried burning a CD from other .wav files not recorded by ntrack?
3.Have you tried mixing first (and not burning) and then finding that wav and burning your ntrack created .wav with other burning software? (like media player has a feature where you load the wav into your library and burn it from there)
4. any possiblity of a mismatch with the bit rate, 16 vs 32 etc? (not sure if thats possible)

I had a few mixdowns where the song was twice as fast, I closed everything and opened it again, mixed again and it worked fine (typical windows remedy)
but once I had a good wav it always burned fine so i am puzzled.

Well do some experiments and get back to us! I wanna know!

This will sound confusing. Try not to let me get you TOO confused, and it’s very possible this isn’t your problem, but trust me when I say that this has happened to me, and it was a ROYAL PAIN to figure out what the problem was.

Depends on the file and format – specifically the samplerate – and how the files in question were originally produced.

If it was recorded in n-Tracks and plays back at the expected speed/pitch in n-Tracks then it’s possible it was recorded at the wrong samplerate, but n-Tracks is playing it back at the wrong samplerate so it plays “correctly”.

In this case two wrongs will make a right. Get one wrong in either direction and you are still wrong.

AND…It takes a very special set of conditions for this to happen.

n-Tracks set to 44.1k.
Soundcard set to 48k.
n-Tracks set to use the soundcards clock.

In this case, audio data is coming into n-Tracks at a 48k rate but because n-Tracks expects 44k it blindly writes out the data as if is were 44k. When n-Tracks plays it back it does the perfect reverse, it plays as if it were 44k, but the soundcard is running at 48k so there is no pitch or speed change.

The header in the file says 44k but the data is 48k. This is a slightly corrupted file.

Outside of n-Tracks the file will be seen and played as it was written by almso all other apps. They will pump out the data at 44k, but because it is actually 48k data it will sound fast and higher in pitch.

Any app that does a conversion will produce files that play it fast and higher in pitch. Burned to a CD and it will play fast and high.

The only fix is to edit the file header to match the data. Some wave editors can do this.

I ran into this because the switch on the back of my AD converter preamp was set to 48k, but I didn’t know it, so I happily left n-Tracks at 44k…the default.

I said this was confusing. Anyway, this will case the pitch to be out about at a step or so.

Yeah, Phoo’s probably right, check the sampling rates first.