Celebs Who Claim They're Green

but Guzzle Gas!!!

What hypocrites!!!

Midget Hot Rink :p :D :p

<!–QuoteBegin>

not when you hop on a private jet and burn enough fuel to propel NASCAR through 2050.

Nascar doesn’t run on kerosene.

You’re right though. They could have walked from the US to Africa or Japan. Maybe swam part of the way or paddled a canoe.

Do you have a real point to this?

KingFish
Quote (KingFish @ Oct. 25 2006,01:05)
not when you hop on a private jet and burn enough fuel to propel NASCAR through 2050.

They could have walked from the US to Africa or Japan. Maybe swam part of the way or paddled a canoe.
Ummm....They could have stayed home, OR, got on a plane that was going there, even without them, OR, just quit preaching conservation to people that consume a fraction of the energy that they do ( my personal preference ).

Midget Hot Rink

I’m not really sure what your point is Midget. Are you saying that it would be better for these celebs to drive large SUVs instead? In your eyes, would that be less hypocritical? Maybe they should not support high mileage vehicles because they have flown in private jets?

Or is this your way of putting down those people who actually think it is a good idea to support fossil fuel sipping land vehicles because you do not believe pollution exists or because it is embarrassing to be you? Your political, ecological, humanitarian views are and have always been quite narrowminded as you have yet again proved with this post.

You see Midget, some people (even celebs) believe in supporting a change in the way we as a people abuse fuel. But if you feel it is ok to buy a Hummer and drive it around because someone else has ridden in a jet, that is just part of your twisted way to rationalize your views. I personally think it is ok for someone to buy/drive a hybrid vehicle and also fly if they have to.

I guess that makes me openminded…

And the gas they use doesn’t just deplete the Earth’s resources but it adds to pollution and global warming too.

Which is why I only put the finest five-star, organically produced, French Napoleon brandy in my Corvette. :cool:

Quote (DrGuitar @ Oct. 25 2006,22:07)
But if you feel it is ok to buy a Hummer and drive it around because someone else has ridden in a jet, that is just part of your twisted way to rationalize your views.
I guess that makes me openminded....

But if you feel it is ok to fly in a private jet just because someone else has bought a Hummer, that is just part of your twisted way to rationalize your views.
I guess that makes me closeminded....

Midget Hot Rink

Midget…

Maybe you should stop and consider how much money and jobs these celebrities generate with their product. These people are a business enterprise and every bit as busy as any CEO (they have jets too).

With the intense pressure on them from people like you who have to know everything they do and follow them around pestering them to death if you were in their shoes wouldn’t you take a private plane?

KF

Quote (KingFish @ Oct. 26 2006,00:43)
With the intense pressure on them from people like you who have to know everything they do and follow them around pestering them to death if you were in their shoes wouldn't you take a private plane?

KF

Absolutely, I would. What I wouldn't do is rag on the "little people" for the amount of energy that they use..

That was the point....

Midget Hot Rink

They’re not ragging on the little people. They’re trying to make you aware. They would like the auto industry to voluntarily PRODUCE a line of green vehicles (and not all little toy cars) to the public. Government intervened in the 70’s and forced dealers and manufacturers into quotas (sell x number of small cars for every big car). It would be nice if we didn’t have to go back to that.

If a person needs a full sized vehicle I see no problem with that. There are alot who don’t. We all breathe the same air. People want to crucify the smokers. What about crucifying the polluters and guzzlers?

BTW…I drive a full size GM Silverado. I need it on the ranch. If I didn’t need it I wouldn’t have it. It’s low mileage because we use the small car to do most of our running around.

KF

Quote (Midget Hot Rink @ Oct. 26 2006,00:24)
Quote (DrGuitar @ Oct. 25 2006,22:07)
But if you feel it is ok to buy a Hummer and drive it around because someone else has ridden in a jet, that is just part of your twisted way to rationalize your views.
I guess that makes me openminded…

But if you feel it is ok to fly in a private jet just because someone else has bought a Hummer, that is just part of your twisted way to rationalize your views.
I guess that makes me closeminded…

Midget Hot Rink

Either you obviously do not understand my point, or you choose to act ignorant.

But if you really need me to spell it out for you Midget, here it is:
Most of us need to drive some sort of land vehicle. Some of us need to travel by air. I believe even you would agree that more people travel by land vehicle every day than those who travel by air daily.

Those who travel by air do so in a variety of ways. Certainly jamming 400 people into a huge jet is somewhat more efficient than a single small jet flying with a group of 6. Of course, it easily could be argued that flying a jumbo jet without a full passenger load (very common) is much less efficient than a small jet with a full load, but we will not even go there since that is obviously beyond your scope of thought.

Your argument fails on so many levels, but let me point out just one. You say that celebs “should” (in your mind) travel by huge passenger airliner when they fly and the fact that they (occasionally) do not is counter their ecologically sound land vehicle choice. The problem is that by your reckoning then, the only way to travel by land is also in groups since that is the most efficient way to travel and that we are all wasteful if we do not travel in buses and trains. You see, your “argument” is based on an “apples vs oranges” premise and is unsound.

Sure, it would be nice if all public transportation traveled with full loads and took us were we needed to be when we needed to get there, but it doesn’t. And the fact that a wealthy person who could afford a huge, comfortable vehicle and the gas to go with it chooses to drive an ecologically friendly small one really does mean something whether they have on occasion flown in a small jet or not.

So if you are going to spend your time trying to take down people who care more for their surroundings and neighbors than you, at least come up with something better than the insane ramblings of the lunatic fringe.

Mike

I don’t see why they are hypocrits? Please explain that to us. Just because they drive Prius’s & fly in private jets doesn’t make them hypocrits? Please verify your claim about them.

I guess that makes George W. the worst offender of all - Air Force One and its companion jets gobble up a HUGE amount of fuel and Dubya doesn’t even try to compensate by using a fuel-efficient vehicle on the ground (unless you count his horses - which definitely contribute to Greenhouse gases).