Chapman Stick

Instruments

Any of you n-People ever tried a Chapman Stick? How was the experience in relation to what you usually play? Or is this your axe?

I’m kind of “looking” around for one.

I tried one a number of years ago. They are very cool, but it’s not a guitar - it’s not like you can pick it up and play it really well just based on guitar chops. I’ve always loved the sound of them, played well, actually. :)

I’ve tried one, but unless you’re extremely good with tapping, it can be very frustrating.

My tapping skills suck so the stick did little but infuriate me.

Like TomS mentioned, it’s not a guitar - there is a pretty big learning curve.

I don’t mind the learning curve too much- at least I’d be playing something! Not like the stop-and-don’t-go of learning PC recording I’ve experienced in the recent past… ???

I’m pretty handy with things that require a level of dexterity usually, and I tend to be rhythm/percussion oriented, so I’m intruiged. I love the idea of having a broad range of sounds available, and the control it looks like you can get over them with this instrument.

Plus I’m a bass player, and don’t mind playing the same idea by myself several hundred times in a row! :)

I wonder where this avatar of mine came from? I didn’t put it there!

Stick is way cool. As mentioned above, it’s a whole new instrument.

As a bass player, you should check out Tony Levin’s work on Stick, such as the album Discipline by King Crimson, where he plays stick on at least half the tunes. The Stick allows Tony to play the bass part and play other parts as well.

Quote (learjeff @ Feb. 12 2006,11:30)
Stick is way cool. As mentioned above, it's a whole new instrument.

As a bass player, you should check out Tony Levin's work on Stick, such as the album Discipline by King Crimson, where he plays stick on at least half the tunes. The Stick allows Tony to play the bass part and play other parts as well.

Yeah- that was an influence. I love that record- and the articulation with which that LOW note is realized! I mentioned on the L-STICKWIRE.COM forum that only the Stick can do that! 'Far as I know...

I won't be ready to do this for the remainder of the year- at best- but I'm doing homework. I've wanted one of these for years.

One of my favorite song intros is the beginning stick-trill of "Undiscipline". (or was it "Elephant Talk"?)...

Tony Levin uses it on some Peter Gabriel stuff too. I’m not sure that I’ve heard another bass player use on besides him.

Quote (learjeff @ Feb. 12 2006,11:30)
King Crimson

OHHH HELLS YEAH!!!!
Quote (Sloom @ Feb. 12 2006,10:50)
I wonder where this avatar of mine came from? I didn't put it there!

Your avatar came from here:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/Sloom/TheLaundryRoom2.jpg

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 12 2006,16:16)
Quote (Sloom @ Feb. 12 2006,10:50)
I wonder where this avatar of mine came from? I didn’t put it there!

Your avatar came from here:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/Sloom/TheLaundryRoom2.jpg

Um, thanks Tom! :p

I must’ve pressed a button… Gawd, I’m an idiot sometimes! But that’s pretty cool! Think I’ll keep it. :D

And- more stick players: Trey Gunn (Warr Guitar) w/ John Paul-Jones (Zooma); and Nick Beggs (ex-KajaGoo-Goo). I met a cat named Don Schiff on the L-Stickwire forum who plays an NS (Steinberger) model, and has a record with mp3’s for sample listening. When I get a chance to link it I will- gotta split!

Check out Jeff Pearce. He is great with the Stick.
His album Lingering light is great!!!

Jeff Pearce

Quote (Sloom @ Feb. 12 2006,17:13)
And- more stick players: Trey Gunn (Warr Guitar) w/ John Paul-Jones (Zooma)

Be sure to check out the recent King Crimson albums - especially The ConstruKction Of Light - for more Trey Gunn goodies.

The bassist from Red Wanting Blue plays the Chapman Stick:

Pictures:
http://www.ronosaurus.com/rwb/2005-03-18/images/5.jpg
http://www.ronosaurus.com/rwb/2005-03-18/images/7.jpg

Here are two full length songs that are primarily Chapman Stick:

Spies and Lovers (track 3):
http://www.pridethecoldlover.com/

Borderline (track 6 from the Souvenirs of City Life album):
http://www.redwantingblue.com/

Its usually miced with one channel being the high notes and one channel being the low notes.

I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

- Ron

More Crimson is in order, yes. And yeah, Ron, more pix are cool!
Thanks!

Quote (archon @ Feb. 12 2006,17:27)
Check out Jeff Pearce. He is great with the Stick.
His album Lingering light is great!!!

Jeff Pearce

I'll have a look at that one. I'm going to be entertaining this for a bit!

Good linkage- thanks folks!

I have to admit, so far- my favorite is Levin. And on bass- he just makes the attack disappear. It's like the attack of the note never existed- you're introduced to the played note as if it's already been in progress, existing, for some time...

Here’s another picture of a chapman stick (its a 2nd curtain sync from a digital camera):

That’s a nice pic actually - getting the movement without losing too much focus… that’s the kind of thing to send to Emmett for publicity (or at least the chap who’s playing :))

I knew a guy in London about 10 years ago who played. I played his stick - kinda weird the 4ths/5ths thing. Being a mandolin player I coped OK with the 5ths, but having to combine them took a little getting used to…

In Denmark Street (London) one time, I saw a Left-Handed GrandStick (12 strings) - if ever there was a burglar-proof instrument, that had to be it: you would never be able to pass it on to anyone. I’ve known other beasts, like a lefthanded 6string fretless bass, and another bassist I know has recently bought himself a 7 string fretless… I mean the thing covers 5 Octaves!!

DSP

Quote (duncanparsons @ Feb. 14 2006,03:21)
…and another bassist I know has recently bought himself a 7 string fretless… I mean the thing covers 5 Octaves!!

DSP

Yeah,… “Get a Stick!” :laugh:

Cool pic.

Well, in order to start in on seeing if I really want one of these things, I’ve set up my bass with med/light guage strings and moved it to a low playing position. There was a 30-sec commercial I once played a (quaint) little tapping line on, back when I lived in Miami about 16 or 17 years ago. I just re-learned it last night, and improved the technique and delivery of it. The strings and action are everything I think.

So it’s also put a fun new spin on playing the bass! I recently quit all my projects (except a reggae band), and am looking around for a drummer to jam with. One who can hopefully put up with some greenhorn, eclectic forays into the newness of “What-the-####-is-that!” bass guitar technique… and I’ll be investing in some more recorded music!

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. :cool: