choppy on playback

Everything I’ve found says I should have no problems with recording yet listening live …ie…LIVE button it’s choopy throughout the whole song…on playback and with live mode off its 90% better with a few hicups…
Hoping someone could help me figure out where to start looking for the problem

800 mhz
768 mb Ram
XP
Motu 828

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Try to avoid LIVE mode. You shouldn’t need it for basic recording/playback; it comes into force when you want to play using a Vst or Vsti.

If you are using LIVE mode because you are having problems hearing what you are recording without it then it is most likely a soundcard (windows) mixer issue. Let us know and we’ll get it sorted.

If you really need LIVE mode then we need to start working on buffers and settings.

HTH

Mark

Ok great info
My Headphones are plugged into the MOTU Headphone jack but the only way I can hear playback during recording is through LIVE…
I guess i have to start messing with the windows mixer settings?

I’ve not used a MOTU card but yes, you need to get familiar with how the routing works in your card’s mixer applet (It’s probably got its own rather than the Windows mixer).

LIVE mode routes the signal via software and introduces latency and other problems. Routing in the soundcard’s mixer should be a hardware routing.

Hopefully someone more familiar with the MOTU will chip in here - if not perhaps start a new topic with “MOTU monitoring” in the subject.

HTH

Mark

Great I’m getting somewhere…

Just want to give as much info as possible

MOTU Fire Wire Console has a tab for 828 with a setting in there for monitor INPUT where i can choose

1-2
2-3
3-4
4-5
Analog 1
Analog 2
and so on…
if i’ve got this right i’m using 1 of my 8 inputs internaly(MOTU)
ie…hardware… and its linking it as a monitor to headphone jack

I can hear songs…sounds ect…currently through MOTU’s h/p jack and on playback though n-track…without using LIVE

thanks I’m getting closer

Thanks Mark A for all your help i’ve got the monitor working through the MOTU it just didn’t seem right that i only had the option of monitoring individual or 2 inputs at once…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Thanks Mark A for all your help i’ve got the monitor working through the MOTU it just didn’t seem right that i only had the option of monitoring individual or 2 inputs at once…

You’re welcome, but actually you did all the hard work, I just made a few suggestions. :slight_smile:

Happy tracking. Looking forward to hearing some of your stuff.

Mark