Christian Criticism

of Bush!

<!–QuoteBegin>

May 21st, 2005 3:45 pm
Open Letter to George W. Bush; Signed by 823 students, faculty and alumni of Calvin College

Dear President Bush:

We are alumni, students, faculty and friends of Calvin College who are deeply troubled that you will be the commencement speaker at Calvin on May 21st. In our view, the policies and actions of your administration, both domestically and internationally over the past four years, violate many deeply held principles of Calvin College.

Calvin is a rigorous intellectual institution, and a truly Christian one. Since its inception in 1876, Calvin has educated its students to use their minds and hearts to transform the world into a ?beloved community? where no one is an outcast and all of God?s children are cared for. Calvin teaches its students to work for peace and justice, and to be good stewards of God?s creation.

By their deeds ye shall know them, says the Bible. Your deeds, Mr. President?neglecting the needy to coddle the rich, desecrating the environment, and misleading the country into war?do not exemplify the faith we live by.

Moreover, many of your supporters are using religion as a weapon to divide our nation and advance a narrow partisan agenda. We are deeply disappointed in your failure to renounce their inflammatory rhetoric.

We urge you not to use Calvin College as a platform to advance policies that violate the school?s religious principles. Furthermore, we urge you to repudiate the false claims of supporters who say that those who oppose your policies are the enemies of religion.

Signed:

Here are appended some hundreds of signatures - about a 100 of about 300 faculaty members and 700 or so students, and some friends of the college.

Already seen/heard about that one Tom. Somehow, the “Right” has gone too far right and ran off in the ditch… can’t say as I blame those folks for sending the letter.

TG

I think the problem being “both” sides are going to far. The ditch? Heck TG they’ve done run off thru the corn fields. Middle of the road, is trying to find me.
We do that song with my daughter singing it, never really listened to the lyrics until she proposed playing it. Instead or right and left, why don’t we just name 'em blue fanatics and red fanatics?

PS, Tom I’ve changed colors too! LOL

Teal (is that what that color is?) being middle of the road? :)

One of the things folks here in the US don’t realize is how much dissention there is in the ranks of the right. Rummy and his ilk really really despised Powel, e.g., although it never got much play. Kristol and other PNAC folks are a bit more open about it. And when the media talks about Bush’s “Christian Base” I shudder, since I know first hand that a large percentage of Christians disagree strongly with his policies and actions. But the media makes it all seem so monolithic. That really really really bothers me. :angry:

Here’s the follow up:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Bush gets mixed reception at Christian college

By Caren Bohan / Reuters

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - President Bush on Saturday championed faith in American society, but ran into some criticism as courted his Christian base in a commencement speech at a Michigan college.

“We need to support and encourage the institutions and pursuits that bring us together. And we learn how to come together by participating in our churches and temples and mosques and synagogues,” Bush told graduating seniors at Calvin College, a Christian liberal-arts college.

The college describes itself as a “center of faith-anchored liberal arts teaching and scholarship,” and Bush has aggressively sought to reinforce his support among religious conservatives who helped deliver him a reelection victory in 2004.

But anti-Bush ads that ran in the local newspaper, protests outside the event and buttons worn on graduates’ robes made clear that many students and faculty objected to Bush’s policies.

“We believe your administration has launched an unjust and unjustified war in Iraq,” said a letter signed by about one-third the college’s 300 faculty members and published in Saturday’s Grand Rapids Press.

“As Christians, we are called to be peacemakers and to initiate war only as a last resort,” it said.

The letter criticized economic policies that it said favored the wealthy over the poor, and faulted Bush for mixing religion and politics and exhibiting and “intolerance” for others’ views.

It cited “conflicts between our understanding of what Christians are called to do and many of the policies of your administration.”

The letter followed an earlier ad by students, alumni and faculty who said they were troubled that Bush was to be the commencement speaker.

Bush’s speech emphasized community service and he urged graduates to volunteer. “This isn’t a Democrat idea. This isn’t a Republican idea. This is an American idea,” he said.

Some graduating students wore buttons that said “God is not a Democrat or a Republican.”

A few dozen protesters gathered outside, carrying signs that read, “Conservatives and moderates reject extremism” and “Thou shalt not torture.”

But there were also many Bush supporters, with placards that said, “We love Bush” and “Cutie pie.”

Bush, a Methodist, often talks of the importance of faith in his life. Some critics see this as crossing a line between religion and politics.

Bush said his emphasis on religion does not make him intolerant of those who do not share his beliefs.

“I don’t condemn somebody in the political process because they may not agree with me on religion,” he said.

Calvin College is the venue for one of two commencement speeches Bush will be delivering this year. He is scheduled to speak at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis on Friday.

Gotta add this picture - note that the robe Bush is wearing has 3 stripes on the side - those are doctoral robes. Some people have to earn that. :)

Quote (YazMiester @ May 22 2005,06:51)
I think the problem being "both" sides are going to far. The ditch? Heck TG they've done run off thru the corn fields. Middle of the road, is trying to find me.
We do that song with my daughter singing it, never really listened to the lyrics until she proposed playing it. Instead or right and left, why don't we just name 'em blue fanatics and red fanatics?

Yaz,

I understand the concept that "both sides have gone too far", but I don't see it that way. Unless you mean that the Right is too far right and the Left is too far right. Think about this a minute. The last Democratic president (Clinton) was the most Republican policy thinking democrat President in modern history.... maybe ever. Look at his record, balanced budget, welfare reform, open trade with more countries for big business and on and on.
Yet Clinton is despised by many Republicans. I think that the Republican spin machine has made it seem like the democrats have "gone too far" and that is why the american people are not voting democrat. Unfortunately, many americans have bought into the idea and so have many democrats. Instead of seeing all the good Clinton did, the spin machine is making democrats look like anti-patriotic, baby killers.

Democrats haven't gone too far, they just have refused to engage in the war of lies and spin. There will be a time very soon where the Republicans will no longer be able to spin their way out of the harm they have done to this country and the world. The sad part will be that the next democrat president will be spending all their time trying to undo the damage to the environment, foreign policy and relations, the deficit and political devisiveness in this country. But remember that this is exactly what the republican plan is. Do so much damage that it can not possibly all be undone by any president. Then do it again and again until 50 years down the road the country will be exactly where the republicans want it to be.

As the evil emperor in Star Wars says at the end of movie number 6, "Things have happened exactly as I have foreseen them."

And don't be surprised when the country is bankrupt from giving it's all to big business, Ohio becomes beachfront property and your grandchildren can do anything they want as long as the government says it's ok with them.

I agree with you, both sides have gone too far, but both parties have gone too far "right".

Mike

Well I tried to pick something that wouldn’t get me labeled, oh well, Teal is middle of the road then I guess Tom.

Doc I agree somewhat with your statement of going to far to the right. Yes Clinton did a lot of good for the country and it was put in the back due to his “sexual relations with that woman” thing. Which I think the country has fallen prey to tabloid type media “yes it really did happen”. And Elvis is living down in Alabama, eating peanut butter nanner sandwiches too. I also think the left has gone too far with the push of politically correct BS, to the point that most lawyers today will take any lawsuit to court. Also the push for higher education has weakened the country to the point that none of the young folk coming into play as adults today will have nothing to do with physical labor. Everyone wants a desk job so they can play on the net at work. Then we complain of the invasion of illegal aliens.
The younger generations become smarter (more wise) and weaker. I think that was a passage from the Bible. What say ye, am I way off base here? Am I getting to the age of being cynical about everything?

I have no idea what I just said, spent the day yesterday at hospital with Mother.
Doing Heart Cath today. Maybe I can reflect more if all goes well today.

Have a GREAT DAY EVERYONE:D

Yaz, hope everything goes well with your mom.

(Just kidding about the teal thing). :)

Yeah Yaz. Praying for your mom dude.

Your age and cynicsm; I dunno about that… It jumped on me years ago and I’m only 41. More a sign of the times I think.

TG

Praying for the best for you and your mother Yaz.

I really didn’t mean to sound like I was labeling you Yaz. It is just that I hear that those Republicans AND Democrats have gone too far this time. I just don’t see how the Democrats have gone too far… The politically correct thing is not a democrat only concept and I know plenty of lower/middle class democrats that have their kids take labor intensive jobs as teens so they learn the value of hard work. I’m not sure I can say the same of upper class, spoiled rich kids like those running the country. If the current president understood the value of hard work, I don’t think he would be so against hikes in minimum wage or paying fair wage/benefits to soldiers or health insurance for the poor.

You are right that we are raising a generation of kids who don’t know the value of real hard work, but I can tell you that my son will learn it. And that is where it needs to be taught; at home.

take care,

Mike

Quote (DrGuitar @ May 23 2005,10:23)
And that is where it needs to be taught; at home.

Right ON! I could not agree with you more on this one!

TG :)

Thanks for the prayers everyone, Mom’s heart cath went very well, everything looked great. Searching in other area’s to find the problem.

Doc you can label me, I don’t get offended, and agree with your statement whole heartedly. I guess this morning I went on a rant so to speak, was just worried and get a little carried away at times. I would love to change the country, heck the world, but would probably piss off 9/10’s of the world population and wind up getting ASSassanated. So will just blow off little steam in here every now and then. If I do offend anyone with my BS, I refuse to appologize because I am an #######. :D

Arsehole maybe.

And I use Teal because it’s PURTY!

<!–QuoteBegin>

Bush gets mixed reception at Christian college

By Caren Bohan / Reuters

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - President Bush on Saturday championed faith in American society, but ran into some criticism as courted his Christian base in a commencement speech at a Michigan college.

“We need to support and encourage the institutions and pursuits that bring us together. And we learn how to come together by participating in our churches and temples and mosques and synagogues,” Bush told graduating seniors at Calvin College, a Christian liberal-arts college.

The college describes itself as a “center of faith-anchored liberal arts teaching and scholarship,” and Bush has aggressively sought to reinforce his support among religious conservatives who helped deliver him a reelection victory in 2004.

But anti-Bush ads that ran in the local newspaper, protests outside the event and buttons worn on graduates’ robes made clear that many students and faculty objected to Bush’s policies.

“We believe your administration has launched an unjust and unjustified war in Iraq,” said a letter signed by about one-third the college’s 300 faculty members and published in Saturday’s Grand Rapids Press.

“As Christians, we are called to be peacemakers and to initiate war only as a last resort,” it said.

The letter criticized economic policies that it said favored the wealthy over the poor, and faulted Bush for mixing religion and politics and exhibiting and “intolerance” for others’ views.

It cited “conflicts between our understanding of what Christians are called to do and many of the policies of your administration.”

The letter followed an earlier ad by students, alumni and faculty who said they were troubled that Bush was to be the commencement speaker.

Bush’s speech emphasized community service and he urged graduates to volunteer. “This isn’t a Democrat idea. This isn’t a Republican idea. This is an American idea,” he said.

Some graduating students wore buttons that said “God is not a Democrat or a Republican.”

A few dozen protesters gathered outside, carrying signs that read, “Conservatives and moderates reject extremism” and “Thou shalt not torture.”

But there were also many Bush supporters, with placards that said, “We love Bush” and “Cutie pie.”

Bush, a Methodist, often talks of the importance of faith in his life. Some critics see this as crossing a line between religion and politics.

Bush said his emphasis on religion does not make him intolerant of those who do not share his beliefs.

“I don’t condemn somebody in the political process because they may not agree with me on religion,” he said.

Calvin College is the venue for one of two commencement speeches Bush will be delivering this year. He is scheduled to speak at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis on Friday.

You know, that is so weird

I was in Grand Rapids on Saturday and had no idea that the President was there. Somebody mentioned something about an “anti-Bush Rally” but I never thought to ask why it was happening. As a visiting Canuck, I didn’t feel it was any of my business.

I really need to pay more attention to what is going on around me.

First of all, teal is a duck.

We have a plethora of words describing the various colours which are discernible to the human eye, so, there is no reason for the USA to add to its catalogue of crimes against the universe by inventing new ones! :D

Anyway, I hope everything goes well with your Mam Yaz. :)

I’ve just been reading the followup to president Bush’s visit to Calvin college on AOL.

And the protesters were described as “the left-wing Christian minority”.

Really?

From what I’ve read of the life and teachings of Jesus, he seemed like a pretty left-wing dude!

I must have missed that bit in Luke where he said;

"Blessed be big-business, for they really shall inherit the Earth.

“Blessed are the war-mongers, for they shall inherit the keys to heaven. (Well, OK, perhaps not “inherit” as such, but whatya gonna do with a heavenly host armed with harps against Cruise Missiles?”

"Blessed are they who poison the planet for financial gain. (Hey! it’s only squirrels and stuff, yeah?).

Left-wing Christians? I really don’t see how there can be any other type. ???

Ali

Right! :)

Its’ all Constantine’s fault! :angry:

Lest there be any doubt about it:

The picture is real and was cleared by the military. :)

PhotoID: 200551873744
Submitted by: 2nd Marine Division
Operation/Exercise/Event: Operation Iraqi Freedom
taken 5/5/05

You can’t read it in this smaller version of the picture, but the tank has a name on it, on the cannon: New Testament.

Bigger picture here:
http://www.michaelmoore.com/_images/splash/050505-M-3044M-002-1.jpg