Citizens of Fallujah rejoice!

For your liberation is at hand…

Imagine the atmosphere in Fallujah right now, knowing that very soon American…sorry, multi-national forces will be on their way to liberate them from their terrorist oppressors and set them on the path to freedom and democracy;

Iraqi PM pledges to ‘liberate’ Fallujah

I wonder if they’re going to start using the ‘pacify’ word, or is the word for this war ‘liberate’ ?

Fallujah citizens awaiting their liberation.

yeah, I heard sarcasm is the way to make things better…

Quote (clark_griswold @ Nov. 05 2004,11:16)
yeah, I heard sarcasm is the way to make things better...

What? - They're being liberated! - Even the Iraqi PM says so. Surely he wouldn't want to attack his own people?

US bombing raids cause fresh casualties every day
Praying for coalition help.

man, I have to hand it to you…you have SOLUTIONS.

Suggestion one:
- Withdraw US forces from the surrounding countryside.
- Re-open roads into the city (to allow food and medicine in)
- Continue negotiations to re-establish Iraqi security patrols in the city

Any other offers? - Sure as #### beats bombing them into submission…

Good suggestions all…

but how do you suggest you negotiate rationally with the irrational?

Which side are being irrational?

If negotiations are slow you blockade the city to prevent people leaving, and start bombing it? - Now that sounds irrational.

How do you think the people left (who survived the bombing) will regard Allawi and the Americans after a move like that? - Hardly ‘winning hearts and minds’ is it?

If Kerry had been elected, he wouldn’t have used the word “liberate”, he would have said “We’re going into Fallujah & kill the insurgents” :p

How’s that for sarcasm?

Iraqi PM orders Fallujah Offensive

US Troops Winning Hearts and Minds in Fallujah Hospital.

I wonder if they're going to start using the 'pacify' word, or is the word for this war 'liberate' ?

Aren't words lovely? LOL

I remember on the same TV news programme, they talked about "IRA terrorists" and "Basque Freedom Fighters".

I suppose whether the bomb smelt of Sangria or Guinness made the difference in terminology.

Then, as the relations between Britain and Spain started to thaw, the Basques became "Guerrillas" (suitably non-committal I suppose), until we became EU partners, and now the Basques are definitely terrorists! LOL

Mind you, that George Washington bloke and all his ilk, were still terrorists. Traitors too I suppose, after all, what else can you call someone who rebels against his monarch to whom he has sworn allegiance?

Ah well, as someone once said; the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter, is whether you win or not!
:D

Ali :laugh:
OPERATION PHANTOM FURY More than 4,000 US soldiers have reportedly punched their way into north-eastern Fallujah.
The massive assault on the rebel-held Iraqi city has been dubbed Operation Phantom Fury, according to the AP newsagency.
Someone really should have a word with the press office. You don't call these operations things like 'phantom fury' - Something more friendly-sounding like 'iraqi hope' or 'operation we-love-iraqis-really' would have been better.

I must say, I'm impressed with the way they're 'punching' their way in. That's very brave of them using their fists instead of any of these nasty weapons. Means they kill less civilians...err.. sorry.. insurgents, militiamen, foreign fighters, al-queda operatives, saddam soldiers, baathist remnants and terrorists.

Oh look. Since posting the link the article has changed. Isn't the internet wonderful? - Not like paper, where once you print it, it sticks.... Sky News, a proud member of the Rupert Murdoch empire.

OPERATION PHANTOM FURY More than 10,000 US and Iraqi troops have reportedly stormed into several areas of Fallujah.
It's increased from 4,000 to 10,000 and now they're 'storming' instead of 'punching' their way in.

Multi-national troops in action at Fallujah hospital. Doctors can be terrorists too!

Thanks you for bringing this one to my attention.
As usual it’s a total smoke screen here in the US media.
This event will be lucky to get a breif mention on the 10 Oclock new tonight–if I would have gone to the bathroom I would have missed it!
I don’t know how anyone can get sarcasm through an intenet post, --noone ever get’s mine! ???
Phantom fury? That’s freakin’ rich! Wasn’t that an old Marvel comic charater?
Anyway I really shouldn’t be making light of such a serious matter, but what else can you do with a name like that? :laugh:
It’s a good thing I wasn’t the general on this one. I would have called it, “Operation Sand Nigger”.
Just kidding people! Just couldn’t resist that one. And no I’m not prejudice, but do enjoy the occasional honkey, or cracker joke! It’s all in good fun, and If I offended anyone reading, my deepest apologies in advance.

:cool:

jerm

Quote (Ali @ Nov. 08 2004,14:47)
Ah well, as someone once said; the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter, is whether you win or not!

Whoever said that was an idiot. The difference between terrorists and freedom fighters is that freedom fighters don't attack innocent civilians (at least not intentionally), they attack the oppresive government, much as George Washington did.
Quote (Guest @ Nov. 08 2004,18:20)
Whoever said that was an idiot. The difference between terrorists and freedom fighters is that freedom fighters don't attack innocent civilians (at least not intentionally), they attack the oppresive government, much as George Washington did.

Thanks for clarifying.

The US invaded Iraq for the purpose of attacking the oppressive government of Saddam (lets forget about the WMD thing for the moment, everyone else has). By your definition this makes the US soldiers in Iraq 'freedom fighters'.

So that means we now have freedom fighters fighting insurgents in the rebel-held town of Fallujah.

Finally, the truth.

I read your post and find myself laughing. Confusing isn’t it. :laugh:

Not as confusing as the media smoke-screen that seems to be going on… Here’s the latest;

<!–QuoteBegin>

US Launches ground offensive in Iraq The top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. George Casey, predicted a "major confrontation’’ in the operation he said was called "al-Fajr,’’ Arabic for "dawn.’’ He told reporters in Washington that 10,000 to 15,000 U.S. troops along with a smaller number of Iraqi forces were encircling the city.

Now we have a nice name, “Operation Dawn”! And to make it even more Iraqi-friendly they’re calling it by the Arabic, “al-Fajr”.

What genius! - I would never have thought of that. Not only make the names of the military operations nice and friendly-sounding, but also use the Arabic words… sheer brilliance.

Oh, and the number is up to 15,000 now. I wonder what it’ll be tomorrow? Started off this morning as “thousands of insurgents” against “4,000 US troops”. Tonight it’s “hundreds of insurgents” against "15,000 US troops"

Gentlemen, place your bets. Looks like no real news is going to get through this blackout, so we might as well make it up ourselves.
Western journalists quit Falluja
Aidan White, the general secretary of the International Federation of Journalists, said the situation in Falluja was "hopeless as far as most media were concerned".

"A cloak has been thrown over the whole area and we are in the dark. Any recognisable journalism as we would know it is all but impossible," he said.

"There are very few independent journalists in the city and those that are there are pretty much in compounds or bunkers. The security situation is absolutely dire.

"Fallujah is not a small town. Some parts of the media have already begun to refer it as a rebel stronghold as though it is some form of organised compound of resistance, but it is not - it is a suburban centre just outside of Baghdad full of living accommodation. We are not going to know the impact on the civilian population for some time.

"This is a military offensive that is effectively closed down to the media except the people who are embedded and they are always kept on a tight leash. As far as journalism is concerned the shutters have come down."

The shutters have come down... What do they have to hide I wonder? - What on earth could be happening in Fallujah right now that they don't want anyone reporting on it?

We might never know.

How much did we know about specific battles in WWII? Did it matter?

So Fallujah doesn’t matter? We close our eyes until it’s all over?

"We don’t do body counts…"

This Iraqi, who is trapped in Fallujah, seems to want the World to hear what’s happening in his city right now. If you want to ignore him, or if he doesn’t matter, then feel free not to click the link;

<!–QuoteBegin>

Watching tragedy engulf my city …My neighbours - a woman and her children - came to see me yesterday. They asked me to tell the world what is happening here.

I look at the devastation around me and ask - why?