Clarke 1/25/2001 memo to Rice declassified

Rice either forgot about it or lied

Bush Administration’s First Memo on al-Qaeda Declassified.

Rice & the Bush admin were given a plan & an urgent call to respond to Al Quada way before 9/11 but they didn’t do anything until 9/4/2001 which of course was too late.

But don’t take my word for it, read the doc’s - do your homework as Pete would say.

The link to Rice’s Op Ed piece is here - Op-ed column by National Security Advisor Rice. Rice said & I quote:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Quote
No al Qaeda plan was turned over to the new administration.


This is why I wouldn’t have voted for Rice.

Mr Soul

PS - even Rice admitted in her Op Ed piece that Clinton did alot to fight Al Quada & I quote:

<!–QuoteBegin>
Quote
The al Qaeda terrorist network posed a threat to the United States for almost a decade before the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Throughout that period – during the eight years of the Clinton administration and the first eight months of the Bush administration prior to Sept. 11 – the U.S. government worked hard to counter the al Qaeda threat.

If Mr. Clinton did such a wonderful job, why did he ignore the offer made by Sudan(?) to hand over Bin Laden?

Where did you get this information John? Stop listening to FOX if you want “real” news. This allegation was started by Hannity on FOX and came from 9-11 Commission report’s statement: "[F]ormer Sudanese officials claim that Sudan offered to expel Bin Ladin to the United States."

This is what the 9/11 Commission ACTUALLY said:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Quote
In late 1995, when Bin Ladin was still in Sudan, the State Department and the CIA learned that Sudanese officials were discussing with the Saudi government the possibility of expelling Bin Ladin. U.S.Ambassador Timothy Carney encouraged the Sudanese to pursue this course. The Saudis, however, did not want Bin Ladin, giving as their reason their revocation of his citizenship.
Sudan’s minister of defense, Fatih Erwa, has claimed that Sudan offered to hand Bin Ladin over to the United States. The Commission has found no credible evidence that this was so. Ambassador Carney had instructions only to push the Sudanese to expel Bin Ladin. Ambassador Carney had no legal basis to ask for more from the Sudanese since, at the time, there was no indictment outstanding.


Clinton further refuted the allegation in a June 20 interview on CBS’s 60 Minutes. He said: “There was a story which is factually inaccurate that the Sudanese offered bin Laden to us. … As far as I know, there is not a shred of evidence of that.”

This is what the admin is saying about this de-classified doc:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Quote
Q Scott, last year during the 9/11 Commission, one of the key points it looked into was whether the administration had taken the al Qaeda threat seriously enough before 9/11. Condoleezza Rice, in defending the administration, wrote an op/ed piece in The Washington Post, in which she said, “No al Qaeda plan was turned over to the administration” – meaning from the Clinton administration when the Bush administration came in. Now the sort of infamous Richard Clarke memo from January 25, 2001, has been released over to the National Archives center. And in there, there is an attachment of a strategy – the 2000 year strategy of the Clinton administration. It’s entitled, “Strategy for Eliminating the Threat from the Jihadist Networks of al Qaeda Status and Prospects.” Was Dr. Rice telling the truth?

MR. McCLELLAN: Was she telling – yes, she addressed this matter previously. I’ll be glad to take a look at that. I haven’t taken a look at it, John.

Q She said there was no plan turned over from the previous administration.

MR. McCLELLAN: John, I’ll be glad to take a look at what you have. I’ve not seen it at this point. But, remember, we made it very clear during that time period that al Qaeda was a threat we took very seriously. You have to look at the actions that we took during that time period.

You also have to remember that we were not on war footing prior to September 11th. We are now a nation at war on terrorism. The President is leading the effort to go after those who seek to do harm to America. We’re staying on the offensive and bringing them to justice. We’re also working to advance freedom and democracy in the world to make the world a safer and better place, and we will continue to pursue that agenda.

But I know of no reason for anything to change from what we’ve said previously. And I’ll be glad to take a look at that document that you cite. I haven’t seen it.

Q Basically, you are saying there was no plan turned over – if you’re sticking with Dr. Rice’s op-ed, then you’re saying there was no Clinton plan turned over?

MR. McCLELLAN: I have no reason to believe anything changes from what we’ve said previously, and I will be glad to take a look at that document that you cite, because I have not seen it.

This guy knows a lot.