Click track, midi confusion

where to find definitive setup?

I’ve used nTrack for over a year, recorded a few dozen songs with great success and fun.

Now, after not using it for about 6 months, (and upgrading to a new 120G drive w/ fresh software, etc) I’ve loaded 4.0.4 and can’t seem to get back to where I was with 3 dot whatever I had.

The biggest glich seems to be just setting up a click track. These are some of the symptoms:

* when I load an older song, I sometimes get an error loading midi device.
* I set up the click track and it says error loading midi
* I set up the click track and I hear nothing

Midi Settings:

I have included the midi device in the Settings > Preferences. I have a USB midi keyboard adapter (an old Yamaha PSR-300) that appears as:

In USB Midi 1x1, and
Out USB Midi 1x1.

However, I don’t really want to send the click to the keyboard. I also have the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth defined in the Midi Output ports but it does not appear in the Input section.

Audio Settings:

I have included and excluded the WDM: SoundMax Digital Audio in the audio settings and I always include the folowing:

Audio Playback Devices:
WDM: Mia 1-2 Virtual Out
WDM: Mia 3-4 Virtual Out
WDM: Mia 5-6 Virtual Out
WDM: Mia 7-8 Virtual Out

Audio Recording Devices:
WDM: Mia 1-2 Analog In

Sometimes, before I load a song, I can launch the metronome and get a click track, but when I try to load the song, all goes wacky and I end up w/ the “MIDI MAPPER” in the selected midi device.

I am also looking to use FL Studio drum tracks to sync with the click track as a VSTi plugin as the rhythm section of a song.

Please, where can one find the definitive word on how these apps, midis, cards, etc work with each other. I’m ready to be creative and not a PC tweaker.

I looked at the tutorials on the Audiominds site and that didn’t help.

PLEASE…

TIA,
Chris.

However, I don't really want to send the click to the keyboard. I also have the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth defined in the Midi Output ports but it does not appear in the Input section

Microsoft Wavtable is only an output device. It's normal.
Be aware that since it is a software synth, it will have any kind of latency/cpu use. Is preferable that you choose for metronome a hardware synth (like your keyboard) and best than this, a wave click track. You will not have synch problems with this last option.

If you dont figure how to do a click track, ask here, is easy to do.

Thanks Marce,

I can send the metronome click to my yamaha keyboard, but then it is outside the computer and I’m not sure how to route the sound or “beat” back into what I hear in the headphones. IOW, I can hear it on the keyboard speakers, but not in my headphones (headphones are plugged into my behringer mixer which is monitoring the output of sound card through aux return of the mixer).

I guess what I’m really after is to have a metronome “track”. I want to set this tune to 180 beats. Then I want to record my audio tracks (guitar, vocals, etc) against that. Then I want to add, in sync with the 180 beats, a drum loop that I create in FL.

I did an experinment with using the loop from FL as a VSTi plugin and it basically worked… Until I added a real song.

Seems the song is incompatible with midi. Even though there are no midi tracks in the song. Could there be some incompatibility w/ songs recorded in 3.x and 4.x?

I originally recorded the song in 3.x and now that I think of it, it seems that in some circumstances I can start N and hear the click tracks from Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth when “testing” the metronome. Once I load the song and check the playback option, it chokes and says error midi device not found when I start the song.

I’m so confused about what plugs into what. I think I’ve tried every combination of selecting midi and audio in the preferences and in the I/O section under the VU meters…

Is there a place that describes how all this works in N-Track; midi to audio to keyboard to microsoft mixer to preferences to I/O?

Thanks,
Chris.

Another possible clue…

I originally purchased the 24 bit version of 3.x. I have upgraded (for $25, I think), but I don’t know if I have the 16 or 24 bit version with the upgrade. I assume, that I got the same because I had to be verified as a previous owner to get the upgrade.

Maybe I have the 16 bit version and the older songs were recorded as 24 bit version and this is causing my confusing setup?

I originally recorded the song in 3.x and now that I think of it, it seems that in some circumstances I can start N and hear the click tracks from Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth when "testing" the metronome. Once I load the song and check the playback option, it chokes and says error midi device not found when I start the song.

Sometimes your midi out work, sometimes not? isnt? When dont work, dont you have another proggie open? I mean that most of midi drivers can be shared by two or more applications. If you open FL studio, by example, and it is setted to use Microsoft WTable, and then you open ntrack, ntrack will be not able to use this device.