click track necessary?

I’m using ACID for my drum tracks…wouldn’t this make a click track unnecessary since these drums will not ever lose time?
Thanks
Cruiser ???

Click track necessary?

Short answer: Yes.

Short reason: If you plan to import you drum wavs into n-Track later on, a click is handy for visually aligning things when editing.

A click track may be handy even if you have a rock steady drum track going… - If you make an interesting, dynamic drum track using e.g. Acid, you may put in a few breaks etc. at appropriate points in the song. These places a click track might save the day for those overdubbing the other instruments, as they will be able to keep the beat in the breaks, too.

Something I tend to do when recording (perhaps because I am not a drummer) is to record a click track, tempo shifts and all, then record everything but the drums, saving them for last when everything else is in place. This makes it easier to make the drums fit the song.

Sometimes, I don’t use a click track or drums at all, but it depends on the song…

regards, Nils

AAAHHH I see said the blind man…will keep on doing it then…thanks lost of good points there.

Cheers:D

Quote (teryeah @ Feb. 24 2005,14:19)
Click track necessary?

Short answer: Yes.

Short reason: If you plan to import you drum wavs into n-Track later on, a click is handy for visually aligning things when editing.

thats a good reason. click track is usefull not only for sing in time, there are always issues with sync because some plugins, soundcards, midi timing of synths, etc. Click track gives you always a point of reference.

BUT, if these are looped drums (near perfect meter as-is) and you aren’t change drums later (these are your final drums for example), then no you don’t need the click, except in places there are no drums, though is may help will feel justas having extra percussion sometimes helps.

It’s best to get rid of the click and use the final drums tracks as soon as possible, but still keep the click until you are done tracking unless the drums are way off from it. It’s very difficult to add drums later to a songthat got a bunch of parts layed down to just a click, even when everyone else is playing to a click. They might sound close, might be perfect, but everything needs to be played to the drums and if the drums aren’t PERFECT as the click they won’t fit into the parts played perfectly to the click.