Click tracks?  How?

I need to record with click tracks and don’t find the option - is it there? How is it done?

Look for the metronome icon.

I found that - but is that what I use for a click?

That is what you use to stay on beat. I never could stay on beat with a click track. I prefer to set up a little drum pattern with something like HAMMERHEAD and then stream it as a wav, import into ntrack.

Then I just delete the drum track when I’m done recording.

I found that much easier to follow than something that sounds like a digital watch alarm.

http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/introduction.shtml

Lane, what MIDI synthesizers appear for “MIDI Output ports” when you go to “Preferences -> MIDI Settings -> MIDI Devices”?

Doug, HH might be very handy for quickly creating click tracks. Thanks for the pointer.

Regardless of whether you use N or HH to build the click track, it’s generally best to render it to a wave file.

Oh, also, maybe this is only in Version 3.3 (which I’m running), but there’s a bug where the metronome doesn’t run unless you start playing from the very beginning. That’s a new bug, didn’t use to be that way. Hopefully it’s fixed in V4.

I havent figurd out the metromone either, But I have done Doug’s method!
The metronome only clicks from my PC speaker-----that would be the ittie bitty 1 inch speaker INSIDE my PC, not the external speakers -it’s barely audible.

I havent figured out the metronome either, But I have done Doug’s method!
The metronome only clicks from my PC speaker-----that would be the ittie bitty 1 inch speaker INSIDE my PC, not the external speakers -it’s barely audible.

Chagning it from the PC speaker to MIDI is in the Metronome settings. Depending on you MIDI device, and a few other options, you may or may not hear it if MIDI is the only option turned on.

I use an external MIDI device (Yamaha sound module) and record its output as audio (wave) first thing, then use the wave from then on.

"Lane, what MIDI synthesizers appear for “MIDI Output ports” when you go to “Preferences -> MIDI Settings -> MIDI Devices”?"

I show:
MIDI MAPPER
SB Audigy Synth
4 more SB Audigy orts…
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

My metronome works fine - not sure if yoiu were trying answer the other guys question or mine…

It the click track that I’m trying to figure out. I need to record with a click so that other folks can synch to it…

Thanks!

This thread over at Audiominds might help…

Quickie Click Track Method

Don’t let the lenght of the thread scare you it really is a simple process once you get the hang of it and shouldn’t take you more than a couple of minutes to generate a click track for your song.

Rich

I got it working now, thanks.
So how do we get the click to add a track?

It the click track that I'm trying to figure out. I need to record with a click so that other folks can synch to it.....
Yes, I was answering this. I setup the metronome so it outputs to the external MIDI (Yamaha) and record that as wave in real time, making sure that it is long enough for the whole song. I use different sounds depending on the song - tambourine or cowbell usually because they cut through and usually I lay drums down to them first, and then the others play to the drums minus the click.

Any of the non-software MIDI synths will work, though you may have to use a loopback audio cable to end the output back to the line input. Of course you need to be careful not to create a feedback loop when doing this, which can happen if "Record what You Hear" is enabled. Software synths will add latency and potentially have slight timing issues. No need to encounter those problems when doing just a click track.

PicknGrin, it depends on what kind of synth you’re using and soundcard details. (It would be nice if everything was simple, but …)

There is a “one size fits all” method – wherever the click sound is coming from, plug that into your soundcard’s input and record it just like you would any other instrument.

If the sound is coming FROM your soundcard, make sure “LIVE” mode is turned off, and you don’t have your soundcard to send the input to the output (monitoring). Also, this is one case when there’s usually a better way. Another “better case” is when using a VSTi.

Here are the options I have for midi devices:

MIDI MAPPER
Mia Midi
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

I can only selct Mia Midi and not have messages pop up that tell me my selection isn’t compatible. For regular inputs and ouputs I’m using WDM driver Analog in and Virtual Out (I’ve also tried WDM digital in). I can get good wave recordings and playback, but when I try to use the metronome or an imported midi drum loop all I hear is rhythmic distortion (sounds awful). I can’t figure it out, and I’ve read through the N-tracks and Echo manuals in great detail. Do I have to have an actual midi device hooked up to my soundcard? As far as I can tell no midi software came with my soundcard, though I do have the consol I’ve played with quite a bit.