clipping problem

can’t reset clips

I have a problem with clipping and wonder if anyone can help me solve it

I was recording something from a tape into n track when the clipping bar on the recording vu meter started flashing. I turned the tape off and clicked on the flashing sign which would normally reset it but not this time, and no matter what I try I can’t get it back to normal.

Can anyone suggest any possible solutions?

Thanks,

Marzipan

Never seen that. What build # of n-Track are you running? Does the GUI respond to everything else normally? If you click on the numbers over the playback meter (while n-Track is playing) are they affected?

Also, have you quit n-Track and restarted it, and does the problem persist? If so, you might consider re-installing n-Track.

BTW, this probably has nothing to do with how you’re using N – it’s more likely related to installing something or who knows what.

Hi marzipan and Jeff:
I’ve seen that happen here on several builds up to and including the current build… I click on-and-close the recording VU Meter from the desk/screen and re-open the recording VU Meter… by clicking on the icon of the recording VU Meter … on the “Task Bar”.

When the recording meter re-opens the “Clip indicator” on the recording meter is now re-set…

I don’t know if that’s a “BUG” or not.

But that’s how I reset the clip indicator on the recording VU Meter… It doesn’t happen each and every time IT happens… either… But… that’s the “Work-around” I have for that issue…

Check, to see if that helps the issue you have…

Bill…

Good info, Bill, probably helpful in finding the fix. Even more helpful if you could think of what it might be that makes it get stuck, and it’s always helpful to have a workaround. After you re-show the meter, does clicking on the red square work after that, or does it tend to stay broken until you restart n-Track?

A few more details and someone should email a bug report; point Flavio here for the details.

I’ve never seen this in V3.

Jeff

Hi Again:
I’ve never treated the issue as something that might be in the program and mabey, a bug. I haven’t done any serious tracking sense January, only mixing, and never have the recording meters appearing on the desk… So, whatever build was current back then, was when I discovered IT… Finding the workaround when it happened was more important…

I took IT as a video card limitation…

I remember during that time was when he was presenting new meter appearence/presentations to the builds.

Bill…

Hi thanks for the help. I tried your different suggestions but they didn’t work for me.

I have even deleted n-track and reinstalled it and the problem is still there. On further investigation the problem only seems to happen when using line in as the recording source. (the one I was using when the problem occured) if I change the recording source to say mic everything reverts to normal. Does that give you any more clue as to what the problem could be? It seems very odd that the problem should persist even on to a newly installed version of n-track. I’m very puzzled. Everything else is working as normal. The version of n-track I’m using is 4.0.4

Thanks for any further help

Marzipan

The final version of 4.0.4 was build 1811… That was before .net framwork was introduced.

I don’t know the date IT was posted… Go to “About” if you would, and check the “Build-and-Date” of the version-and-build you have. The current build is 2099…

Bill…

Hi,

I was using versiion 4.0.3 when I encountered the problem, but as that version was not available anymore I downloaded 4.0.4 build no 1811 date 2/4/05.

I’d like to get this problem fixed and continue to use n-track, I’m not too keen on starting all over again with a different
programme. It was hard enough fathoming the mysteries of n-track! My brain still hurts.

Thanks,

Marzipan

Hi Again:
I have almost a complete library of n-Track versions-and-builds… As I look down the files of versions and builds I see v4.0.5 build 1846… It’s still before the introduction of .Net Framwork. I shouldn’t think you would have any issues updating your setup to a later build (for example), that one… as opposed to the build you’re useing now… even up to the last build that was posted before the introduction of the build that needed .Net Framwork… That build is found on one of Flavio’s Front-end pages…

I know to some of us, up-dating to a later/newer build is a Big TO-DO and can cause big-time issues… But I would consider installing the last build before the .Net Framework version… It’ll be posted up there…

I’m in the camp… and there are some of us here on the Board that installs the latest version/build as soon as it’s posted… I know I’m going there sooner-or-later, so I may as well be there… sooner… than-later… and now with the new install .exe IT’s easy to revert back to a previous build if you discover an issue that is just beyond makeing IT work… although I’ve found myself in a bind without makeing n-Track work AT-ALL, on a few occasions… along with sloom… But Flavio came to the rescue and got us back up and running… with a “FIX” build…

I find that… installing the latest build as they get posted is less “Stress” on the nerves and DAW by persuing that idea… and I find that I’m not into a camp where I have several multi-track editors at my disposal nor do I want to wrap my brain around learning how any other editor works…

IT’s tough enough for me to move outta magnetic tape and into Hard drives…

The Stress on my Brain… :O ??? :(

Bill…

I’m using build 2099 and it has always reset when I right-click on the timeline and choose reset clip indicator (or something like that - I’m at work). I’m wondering if it is in fact a video issue.

What I would like to see is to be able to turn that feature on and off at will. It definitely gets in the way when you’re not concerned about the clipping at certain stages of the mixing.

Paul

Paul, when you’re not recording, just turn off the record meters. (Click on the little green circle under each meter.)

I generally just click on the clip indicator itself to clear it.

Marzipan, this definitely sounds like a bug. And not like a video card bug since it only happens for line inputs (very strange). Please post a bug report using the support page. Include a link to this thread for more info.

Thanks for the tip Learjeff. I didn’t realize the two were linked together.

Update for anyone who may experience a similar problem…

I wrote to fasoft support and it seems the problem I have is with my soundcard, not with n-track, so I have to get a new soundcard. As the main purpose for which I use n-track is to turn pre-recorded tapes into CD’s, would it improve sound quality at all to go for a more expensive soundcard? and if so could you recommend one. At the moment I just have the standard sound card that comes with your basic computer.

Also which areas of n-track would you consider useful in improving sound quality when transferring tapes to CD’s? Any of your hints or tips would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Marzipan

One possibility to consider is the M-Audio Transit, which is USB and has stereo line in/out for $80. (It also has TOSLink, that is, optical S/PDIF.) It handles 24/96 recording, though most soundcards below the huge bux level tend to work better at lower speeds, according to benchmarks. (It takes a really precise – expensive – clock circuit to get good results at higher speeds.)

If you’d like to see benchmarks, I have a bunch of them collected HERE, including the Transit.

Another option would be some version of the Audigy, which I believe is less expensive still and would definitely be adequate.

If you want to get the best possible results, you’ll need to spend a nice penny or two. The EMU cards look very promising based on specs, and folks who have 'em just love 'em (except I’ve heard that they’re kinda complicated to use for some reason). Whether the difference would be significant enough to bother is debatable and largely depends on the quality of the cassette recordings. BTW, cassettes degrade over time, losing highs and gaining hiss, so it’s probably better to do this now than wait another 10 years. The metal oxide tapes suffer from this the least, which is why I used them for my masters all those years ago.

I converted a lot of cassette material to digital, and wish I’d used 24 bits for all the recordings. I didn’t think it was necessary at the time, since the S/N ratio of the tapes were around 65 dB, and dynamic range of 16-bit audio is 96 dB. But I’ve learned a bit about how you can’t quite compare these numbers on an even footing, and if you use 24 bits you can leave enough headroom to not sweat the levels and still get as much information (fidelity) from the cassette as possible.

I didn’t do any post-processing, but in general this comes under the topic of “mastering” and also “audio restoration”. There are wave editors (including free ones like Audacity) that allow you to remove the tape hiss (as long as there’s some “silence” to sample that has only the tape hiss). This does reduce the highs a bit too, and it’s subjective whether it’s a good idea or not – also depends on the recording. Another trick (which n-Track has built-in) is to use the compressor as a noise gate so that silence between songs is truly silent. The disadvantage to this is that the hiss in the quiet beginning or ending of a song becomes more obvious since it cuts off rather abruptly.

The other thing that mastering usually involves is compression, to get a nice hot signal throughout (often way overdone!) without any clipping. However, most cassette recordings are already naturally compressed by the medium – in fact, compressed in a way that many digital-only folks covet and can’t quite duplicate with plugins, or so many say. So, while you’ll read quite a bit about it when studying up on mastering, I suggest you avoid it for mastering cassette transfers. If you do decide you want compression to pump up the overall volume, then you’ll most likely need to do hiss removal. Otherwise the compression will cause the hiss level to go up and down, a symptom sometimes referred to as “pumping” or “breathing”.

My stuff was just for archival purposes, so I didn’t lose the ideas and could listen to old stuff for pretty much reminiscence’s sake, not to produce any listenable CDs, which is why I didn’t bother with any mastering.