Cockney accent

looking for resources

Glad to have this forum back.

I remember the first time I read Limey’s posts, I barely could understand a word but after some effort I finally could grab the wisdom and knowledge he was transmitting us.

Then, before he left the forum, somebody posted a link with a cockney dictionary and I’m actively looking for it since wifey (as Limey would have said) is making a theatre play originally written in some english slang I guess it’s cockney. The play is based in Hackney, in London, so I’m inclined to think it’s some sort of cockney since Hackney kind of rhymes with cockney. Sorry for being silly.

I have found lots of things via google but not what was originally posted here so that’s why I’m asking.

Regards to everybody and particularly to Limey. I still can’t recall exactly what happened to him but surely we miss him.

- Loauc.

Try this site as a starter loauc.

here

And searching under “rhyming slang” will also reveal many resources.

But, the people of Hackney (pronounced Ackney), will strongly protest at being called cockneys. A cockney is someone born within the sound of Bow Bells.

However, to me, the accents of East London all sound the same. (But I am a Scot, not a Londoner). So, I doubt if anyone (even people from Hackney), could tell the difference between a Cockney accent and a Hackney accent.

Ali

Thank you Ali, I already had that article but you gave me some insight.

Loauc.

Ok, never mind. :)

But, if you ever decide to do a play in Glaswegian (which has its own rhyming slang), give me a shout. :D

Ali

All right, I take that into account, but it is really hard for me since english is not my native language. I’m from Mexico.

Loauc.

All right, I take that into account, but it is really hard for me since English is not my native language. I'm from Mexico.

Loauc.

Then, basically, you're stuffed. :D

Learning to speak a foreign language is difficult, especially where one is Latin based (Spanish), and the other is Germanic based (English), but being able to speak colloquially without living the language is probably near impossible.

Remember the movie, "Wind Talkers"? In WWII the USA used Navajo talkers to communicate on the radio so that the Japanese couldn't understand them.

Well, Scottish regiments didn't need that, they just used Glaswegians, and even the English couldn't understand them! :laugh:

Cockney isn't quite that bad, but it's getting there.

Anyway, a few tips from a non cockney.

The Glottal stop. Common to both Glasgow and east-end London. The 't' sound in the middle or end of a word is swallowed; so butter becomes bu''er, Otter becomes O''er, what? becomes, wha''?,and so on.

Vowel transposition. a often becomes i, so, mate, becomes mite'' (with a glottal stop).

u becomes a, so duck becomes dack (again with a glottal stop).

So, keep your lower jaw tight and fairly immovable, have a stretched smile on your face, keep your lips open all the time, tongue well back in the mouth, and you'll look like and idiot! lol But, you'll be getting there. :)

But, whatever you, don't try to sound like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins! :D

Ali