Communications Overload

24 hour a day communication

I heard an interesting idea on the radio today. The guy was talking about all the various communications devices available now-a-days (fax, pagers, cell phones, telephones, etc.). We are getting too much information. The guy stated that in Minnesota the power was out for 2 days last year. He saw husbands and wives taking walks and children playing outside all day. The guy made an interesting suggestion. Go to the circuit breaker panel and move the big one that says main to the OFF position. Then just see what happens.

I might try that. Ofcourse I’d have to hide the cell phones somewhere. It might actually be kind of fun to watch the kids squirm without the playstation and cartoon network.

I beleive mainstream television kills more brain cells than alcohol and drugs combined. If I have time to watch the boob toob, I prefer History Channel, Discovery or the like. The rest of the junk on there is garbage. Even the “news” channels.

More than once I have given serious consideration to having the cable turned off. The “boss” won’t let me. :( If she ain’t happy…nobody’s happy!

TG

Agreed. Personally I rather not watch

I only have rabbit ears and honestly, if I could throw my cell phone in the river I would. I find my time gets eaten up with music so much of the time. (That is, when I am not posting on this or AudioMinds from work. :D) I don’t mind the ability to communicate, I just think folks over do it. How many times has someone from work called me on the weekend freaking out about something and ended the call with “It’s no big deal, I just wanted to let you know for Monday.” Well, then e-mail me, leave a voice mail, something, but don’t friggin pester me if it can wait until Monday. Something pops into someone’s head and they just have to pickup the phone or whatever and pester. Over half the communications out there is crap and could be made more consise, not communicated, etc. The mediums are’t the problems, the folks behind the wheel are.

Communication has nothing to do with when it comes to television and radio…its full of marketing hype and distorted ideas of trivial bullshit like celebrity gossip, asinine reality shows, and just boring scripted ethnocentric crap to sell ideas. The tragedy is when people become victim to it.
When another insurgence occured in Iraq killing dozens, the newspaper’s frontpage news was about Jennifer Lopez’s wedding…yes it was an actual newspaper. Sad indeed.

Even the history channel could be improved - too much war history.

My mobile phone remains off. I check it for messages twice a day.

As for TV; I hate it. What’s the point? - The only reason I used to watch it was for news, but that’s taken on a new meaning now, so I go to the net for that. And the rest of it is full of ‘reality TV’ rubbish - I prefer to spend my time with ‘reality life’…

Not me man - I can’t get enough. I don’t have a cell phone though.

Joke: Ever hear about the guy who put an answering machine in his car. Yeah the message was “I’m home right now but I’ll call you as soon as I go out”.

jhonan

When you say ‘rubbish’ Im assuming youre from the UK which is sad when you said about the atoricities of these reality shows taking over there too. I always believed in denial that the UK was less trivial in the pop culture than here in America.
:D It was going to be my future residence there someday.
Thanks for blowing my imaginary country. :D

Half the reality shows we have came from copying British ones!

If I threw that breaker my food would spoil and my beer would be warm! hungry and thirsty no thanks…legs are made for walking away and arms are for throwing that stuff out the window.hehehe
Cheers

Quote (TomS @ Nov. 23 2004,12:17)
Even the history channel could be improved - too much war history.

Agreed. The "Modern Marvels" show and the like are great. They definitely could dispense with about half the war history stuff though.

TG
Quote (Guest @ Nov. 23 2004,12:56)
jhonan

When you say 'rubbish' Im assuming youre from the UK which is sad when you said about the atoricities of these reality shows taking over there too. I always believed in denial that the UK was less trivial in the pop culture than here in America.
:D It was going to be my future residence there someday.
Thanks for blowing my imaginary country. :D

I'm from Ireland - But we get the UK channels, including Sky One (the worst offender), and Sky News (part of the Murdoch empire). We even get 'Eye on America'....

And the Irish channels picked up on the US and UK reality shows pretty quickly, but they tend to make them even worse.

They had a reality show last year where all these people got on an old sailing ship and set off around Ireland. It sank on the third day.

Apart from that, it's house and garden makeover shows. Antique shows (get stuff from your attic and see how much it makes at auction), and cookery shows (get a 'celebrity' on and interview them while they attempt to cook some slop...) - Oh, and not forgetting the chat shows (everyone tries to copy Graham Norton these days...)