Compensated Tuning Systems

Any advice?

Eyup!

I’ve been looking around at compensated nuts and was wondering if any of you guys use such things.
The Earvana looks simpler to install but I can’t find any suppliers in the UK.

Steve

Why do you want a compensated nut ? Does the standard one really bug you ? I tend to use a tuner first and then tweak & compromise so open E, D, A, and G all sound reasonably in tune. This procedure is good enough for me for almost anything. Thankfully I’m not cursed with perfect pitch :)

Eyup!

I normally tune as you do t.
I don’t have perfect pitch, but I think I must be very sensitive to the tuning problems that all fretted instruments have.
Years ago, before I understood the problem, I thought my guitar was faulty, of course when I played other guitars I realised they couldn’t all be faulty :D

I found a leaflet on the 'net from the Guild of American Luthiers entitled “Power Tuning” which describes a method using pure intervals. It works quite well.

I’d still like to have a go with a compensated nut though.

Steve

I have an Earvana nut on my homemade Warmoth strat and I LOVE it. Believe the hype! Open chords and bar chords up the neck are so much better than on my stock guitars.

It’s definitley worth a try for under 20 quid.

I’m in the UK, too but I ordered mine from www.warmoth.com along with the rest of my parts. I have been thinking about retrofitting some of my other guitars (especially acoustics!) with Earvana nuts, though. This site carries them (www.allparts.uk.com) but they don’t have a very wide selection. You might be better off ordering them from the US if you can find someone who’ll ship it for a reasonable amount.

[EDIT]
I just hunted around the Earvana website and it seems that you can order directly from them. The online store says “FREE SHIPPING! International orders add $2.50” which is a pretty good deal. The nuts all cost $30USD. I think I’ll order one for my acoustic and one for my les paul right now! If there are any UK distributors, I don’t see how they could touch that pricepoint.
[/EDIT]

hth,
mrtoad

Eyup!

Thanks for that mrtoad, as you say, for the price it’s worth considering.
Incidentally, as I have been reading up on the subject a little it seems you can effect improvements similar to those gained by the Earvana nut by deliberately detuning guitar intonation at the bridge.
I’ll read a bit more and give it a try, it may be all I need.

Steve