Compression

advice please

I was wondering how you can fix the reverb sound that comes along with compression. I have a little comp. added to a snare & it sounds like there’s a reverb effect on it & i have no reverb applied. I forget the ratio that i have on the snare, but the comp makes it carry a little longer than i would like. Thanx for any advice. :)

umm, that’s kinda’ what compression DOES. it decreases the peaks and when you turn it up to compensate… you turn up the decay… If you don’t like it, I’d recommend raising the threshold, lower the release time, lower the ratio, or you could try and add a noise gate and set it up to cut down on the decay…

Chances are you’re using too much compression, or you’re not listening to it in context of the mix, it may gell fine if you listen to everything all at once.

Many people use a drum mix busses out to a compressor with high settings (so it sounds too compressed) and then mix that back in with the original tracks that AREN’T really compressed.

I always kinda liked that effect. :)

just to add to what guitars said…

remember that compression is not really “adding” anything to your sound. compression is evening out the loud parts (in your case the loud snare hits) and causing you to increase the level of the snare track. this is making the tail end of the snare hits more audible in the mix. what you’re probably hearing is the NATURAL reverb that’s already in the recording.

another thing you could investigate is “gating”. what this will do is completely silence the audio between snare hits. after gating a snare track, it alone will sound very choppy and unnatural. you will have to take alot of care in mixing it in with the other tracks or use a reverb plugin to give it the amount of reverb you want.

Thanx for the input guys. I always wondered why it sounded that way. I will use some of the ideas you guys passed along. I like this forum alot, everybody is always a lot of help here, unlike some of the other forums i’ve been to. I won’t mention any namesprotools :D Thanx again for the replies.

compression can accentuate or enhance reverb or “room sound” that may be on your recorded tracks. reverb is definitely your friend. try to work with it.

Hi Cat :)

If you are running your compression on an auxilary channel and then dialing in the amount you want you are probably getting the N Track reverb that gets added by default when using an auxilary bus.

I always have to remember to turn the N track reverb off when i use the auxes. While reverb is probably a logical thing to have on by default, I prefer to use reverbs other than the N track reverb in my tunes.

If you are not not using compression as an auxilary option that is good because it tends to be most effective when used as a plug in directly on the track not a dial in auxilary option.

Ted

Good point, Ted – might actually be some reverb in there by accident, and putting compression after reverb will tend to overemphasize the reverb. Compression should come before reverb, in general. Also, it’s generally better to put compression on a tack insert rather than an aux bus. (These are guidelines, not rules.)

Finally, if compression is causing too much ride on ride cymbal, the solution is to lower the volume of the ride cymbal instead of using compression (or, use less compression and more fader lowering). If the drum track is already mixed, then you can try adjusting the compression parameters as mentioned above, but note that it might end up being a compromise. (Or, it might be just the ticket.)