Compressor Plug-in

FREE compressor

can anyone recommend a compressor plug-in that works well and is FREE or VERY cheap??? the one that i’m currently using is the worst. thanks.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

The fishphones plug in is nice, although it doesn’t work well with some other plug ins.

Don’t have the link…

PeakCompressor – shareware. Nice compressor.

Quote (TomS @ Sep. 26 2004,17:20)
The fishphones plug in is nice, although it doesn't work well with some other plug ins.

Don't have the link...

oh yeah, i have the fishphones plugins somewhere on my computer. 4got about those. hmmmmmmmm, now where the h*** did i save them.

.Try here
I like endorphin but there are others.

I should say that the compressor plug in that gets most work on my stuff is the PSP Mixpressor. Quirky interface, but plug in compressors mostly don’t sound like hardware to me, and this one comes close. 30 US dollars or so, at least it used to be. :)

I should say that the compressor plug in that gets most work on my stuff is the PSP Mixpressor.
That's my choice too.

Have you gotten the PSP Mix Saturator to work for you?

On the PSP stuff it looks like you have to buy the whole “mixpack” for $149. The reviews are good though.

John

I notice there’s been no comment about the compressor that comes with n-track.

As a relative beginner, I’d be interested in how people feel it compares with some of the others mentioned.

Mike F

Quote (CosmicCharlie @ Sep. 26 2004,22:23)
I should say that the compressor plug in that gets most work on my stuff is the PSP Mixpressor.

That's my choice too.

Have you gotten the PSP Mix Saturator to work for you?
Yes, if by "work" you mean "find uses for it," although I don't use it very often. It's sometimes useful on deadish tracks, if used very sparingly. Not useful for dramatic differences, but it can give just a tiny bit of oomph to things. :)

Works great. I use that for track compression. (Actually, I use the one we had to pay $20 for back in V3, has that changed?) In any case, the n-Track compressor is a good, useful compressor. I like the graphic mode so I paid for the “value-added” one.

I prefer PeakCompressor for master compression; partly because it has an RMS level display, and it just seems to work better for that purpose. Maybe it’s just the GUI works better for me for that. Of course, a multiband compressor is generally preferred for mastering, but I don’t like the results I’ve gotten with the two I’ve tried (MDA, which stinks, and Endorphin, which always seems to impart an “effecty” sound I don’t care for – but I doubt I’ve learned to use it properly.)