Compressor

Where?

Hi, I’m new to using v 6.0 and wanted to know where to put a compressor. I’ve rendered my mix and have the stereo track up. Should I put the comp on the “track” or the "master main out?"

thx,
Lou

either / or

If you are mixing for CD from 24 bit to 16 - don’t forget to dither on the master channel @ 0.

Hi.

Put it where it needs it, and/or where you want it for effect.

Depends on what you want to compress, the over all mix? or a particular instrument.
If it’s a particular instrument you need to go back to the multi track mix and insert the compressor on the instrument.
Or master compressor for final mix.

If you are Poppa W you need to insert the Wither plug not Dither, it’s the plug for old fellas! :laugh:

Since I want to make the overall mix louder, my question is now answered that i need to insert the comp on the master channel.

Thank you, Lou

What my habit was for years was to mix down to a stereo wav file as usual - then create a new song import the wav - clean up the beginning and ending (fade out) and my favorite little mix effect - Flavio’s n-Track multiband compressor. I used the Mastering 2.4dB preset - very little to do past that unless you want to tweek the low mid or highs - play with it, then mixdown to mp3.

Place to start anyway.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Dec. 20 2008, 12:58 AM)

What my habit was for years was to mix down to a stereo wav file as usual - then create a new song import the wav - clean up the beginning and ending (fade out) and my favorite little mix effect - Flavio's n-Track multiband compressor. I used the Mastering 2.4dB preset - very little to do past that unless you want to tweek the low mid or highs - play with it, then mixdown to mp3.

Place to start anyway.

I did this the same way also, but have gone to a faster step now (thanks to Dubious/Diogenes/Bama Dude)

I now finish the mix and save a step by saving the project as (insert name here) then trimming the files down on start up, inserting the Para eq and Multiband comp into the master, do a mix master all in one by starting the mixdown from (insert clean up the front of project time difference here) and highlighting all waves for a end of song fade out. Then save that as seperate (insert name again) song file.

Sorry, OP–I somehow missed that you had rendered the song.

In that case, since it’s the rendered file, I’d probably just insert the mastering effects on the main out, rather than use channel inserts…otherwise what you insert will be prior to the main LR’s compression and EQ.

Unless, of course, you want your inserts to be prior to the main mix’s built-in compression and EQ.

F