Computer Crash (the crowning blow)

I am in the market for a new computer now that my Dell Dimension bit the dust.
I was using a P4 1G processor, 256Mb Ram. A dinosaur by today’s standards.
It is very important that the new one I get can do what I ask of this dell computer.
I’ll need a computer that I can add my sound card to. Do all computers have extra ports for sound cards? Are they all standard or is there a chance that I will need to buy a new one to fit?
If I go new, any suggestions? Currently I have a Delta 2496. I have had no problems recording on this computer. I use version 3.3.
Is there a chance I could get a computer that has the capability of accepting my 4 wire Pre-amp (DMP3 ?) ?

Thank you folks…

Your soundcard is probably PCI (double check just to make sure). So if you buy a new comp just make sure it has at least 1 extra PCI slot for your card. A lot of motherboards are coming with everything integrated, so there tend to be fewer card slots than in the past, so you should definitely check.

The DMP3 has balanced outs according to the website, so no I doubt very much that you’ll find a premade comp with XLR ins, unless you have it custom built from one of those audiophile guys, and even then, I think it would still just go into the soundcard’s inputs.

Stay away from dell, they use crappy parts, unless you like meltdowns! audio is one of the most demanding of task you can ask a computer to do, so it needs to be able to take the heat.

If you are intent on sticking with that sound card your best bet is to search the M-AUDIO forums for problems with that card and various computers, and stay away from those!

When it comes to desktops I use ASUS, but that’s just me.

Personally I wouldn’t try and build a whole system around a card,(unless it was a very expensive all inclusive , mixer/card like the ONYX1620) you can always sell the card and get something else to work with a system that is going to be able to progress with you.

I recommend a system with a 7200rpm drive, at least 1G of RAM and the highest processor speed you can afford.
there are M-audio Delta Models now that have XLR ins, like 8 of them at a clip, so that would be the upgrade to work with your DMP3.

PS—I feel your pain, did you loose any work?
Although you had a crash it is possible to retrieve some of the files.
If you’re on a budget you could just slap a new 7200rpm drive into the DEll, load your O.S. and pick up where you left off.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Thanks Folks!

I wasn’t planning on another Dell, I learned from this one.

I’m not “married” to this soundcard, I was just a bit curious as I don’t know a whole lot about computer inards.
I may just get the new computer and add from that point and maybe upgrade from where I am at. I have a few more “chips” now so it could all work out well.

On a side note…I was able to get the OS working again. I have all my files backed up to an external hard drive so there was no loss from that point. However, I can’t seem to get this computer on line to download N again. I was running it wireless connection prior to the crash. The “Control Panel” used to have an icon to create a wireless connection. That is gone now. Can I download N on another computer, get it to disk somehow and then put it on the computer that way?

As always…Thank you very much!!!

Quote: (pianoman @ Dec. 31 2009, 11:41 AM)

Thanks Folks!

I wasn't planning on another Dell, I learned from this one.

I'm not "married" to this soundcard, I was just a bit curious as I don't know a whole lot about computer inards.
I may just get the new computer and add from that point and maybe upgrade from where I am at. I have a few more "chips" now so it could all work out well.

On a side note...I was able to get the OS working again. I have all my files backed up to an external hard drive so there was no loss from that point. However, I can't seem to get this computer on line to download N again. I was running it wireless connection prior to the crash. The "Control Panel" used to have an icon to create a wireless connection. That is gone now. Can I download N on another computer, get it to disk somehow and then put it on the computer that way?

As always...Thank you very much!!!

YEs you can put the program on a disk from another computer and put it on any computer running Windows, so long as you have your codes.

Glad to hear you did not loose any files. :)

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Does he need to worry about the 64 bit processor thing?