concept CD

How to…

Any good suggestions on how to make a concept CD? I would like to link about 15 songs together onto one CD ala Pink Floyd . Other than opening all 15 songs and connecting them with the concept linking tracks, is there a simpler way?

thanx

Eyup!

First you need a pointy hat and a long, flowing cape :D

Steve

Do you mean you want song #1 to seamlessly move into some kinda transition piece which then leads to song #2, etc.; no silent breaks in between? This is known as a “montage edit” by some.

I find the easiest way is to get finished mixes of each song and linking piece as seperate stereo files. Then open a new session. Insert each in the timeline as individual “tracks”, i.e. song #1 is stereo pair 1, link from #1 to #2 is stereo pair 2, song #2 is stereo pair 3, etc. down the mix window. Now you can slide these different parts in time to line up your starts and ends to taste. This means you may have maybe 30 stereo pairs in the vertical dimension, and maybe 55 minutes in the horizontal (time) dimension on the mix window. You may choose to draw crossfades or hard edits or whatever on each song or link as you listen through the segues. Once you got each song or link seamlessly moving from one to another, do another destructive edit of each piece so your crossfades get written to their respective piece. Burn your disc using an application that lets you adjust the length of any gap between the selection on the disc. In the PC world on the old Adaptec software this was “disc at once”.

It’s not as hard as it sounds, and I find I get much better flexibility with edits and can “see” the album better as I move down and to the right through the playback…

It’s probably easier to bring all your wav files into one wav editor, put then into one file using fade in/out crossfades as needed and then burning the resultant single wav file to disk using nero to put the tracks in.

http://www.audiominds.com/mastering/nero.htm

Willy.

Thanx for the responses…I sort of figured that was the most common way to do it… With the size of the final project estimated @ ~600 megs, it must take a ton of processing power to lug those tracks around. I had been considering using the mp3 format to conserve space and CPU labor, but I think I would probably lose quality. In any event you confirmed what I had been thinking.

Thanks again…

cliff
funny, my wife just ook out the pointy hat last night for giving out treats on halloween…maybe I’ll give that a try too… seemed to work for alan parsons, et al.
:cool:

I would add one more step the process after you;ve combined all your songs worked out your transitions (crossfades, etc.).

I would re-split the one big mixdown file into individual songs. Crossfades would have to be split between them as best you can. Then set you CD burning application for “0” gap between tracks. This will allow you to select individual songs when the CD is played. Otherwise, you’ll just wind up with one big long song.

This assumes you have a CD burning program such as Easy Media Creator that allows you to adjust the gap between songs on the finished CD. Just set the gap to zero. I use this method for putting together live performance CD’s.

HTH
Don

Oops,

I see that clavastudio essentially covered the same topic earlier. Oh well, I’m not too quick on the trigger this morning, I guess.

Don

yes, nero has the “time between tracks” feature also ( i think ) i will give it a shot.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I would re-split the one big mixdown file into individual songs. Crossfades would have to be split between them as best you can. Then set you CD burning application for “0” gap between tracks. This will allow you to select individual songs when the CD is played. Otherwise, you’ll just wind up with one big long song.

You don’t need to resplit the big file though, nero will put the tracks markers in where you click and drag them to. I don’t know if it does a crossfade or what between them though, but I’d put them in the big file when putting it together in the first place. Without sounding smarmy or whatever, it’s all in that tute I posted years ago.