conderser mic for ~ €100 guitar/vocal

Hi, JayK. Sounds like you’re getting there.
What’s the project?

the project is to record a new song!
(for the first time since ntrack v4!)
i used to have v3 and just upgraded to v6

havnt recorded anything in 2-3 years (forgot my login here and lost reg codes!),
i had an old audio-technica dynamic which has been in a mouldy old box in a shed since then
and sounds like muck!
my old folio mixer is also shot.

the song is accoustic guitars with some softish vocals (i’m not screaming into the mic!)
i’ll stick a simple drum machine track on it in parts,
and i’ve a noisy crap squirer jazz bass for a simple bass line,
i tend to annihilate the higher freqencies on the bass track just to quiten it down a bit.
(the electrics are f**ked), if its too noisy i’ll use a synth bass line or abondon bass line altogether.

the accoustic guitar is semi-accousitc but the internal mic isnt much good except thru an amp. i’m plucking for the entire song so want to get a semi decent sound which is why
i’m looking for a microphone! (which will be required for vocals aswell!)

Coupled with a chest infection i currently have i might actually get it done by christmas!

Right.
I;ve all but decided on the rode nt1a and vtb1 preamp.
all in all it’ll set me back about €300… meh

i have some questions on this setup but i’ll start a new thread becase this one will go way
off topic otherwise!

see you in my new thread and thats for the advice so far!

Nice one JayK. Get stuck-in. Keep us posted.

well it all arrived yesterday and got it set up and plugged in today.
The nt1a is lighter than i expected for some reason!
one thing i hadnt considered was that ordering a preamp from a german website meant it would arrive with
a european plug… annoying but easily with some adaptors, copper wire, and electrical tape! (its safe honest!)

The mic sounds good, just trying it on guitars so far. so much better that the old beat up dynamic i had, but it means i’ll have to do something about the room, its picking up a lot of the room!
hopefully test it out on vocals over the coming days if i get a few hours to spare. The weather in ireland is horribly good at the moment so i may be tempted to go surfing or windsurfing instead.
i swear i’ll have a song done by christmas!

Sounds like a great combination to me, Jay. Post something so we can hear it.

Quote: (JayK @ Nov. 09 2010, 7:10 PM)

The mic sounds good, just trying it on guitars so far. so much better that the old beat up dynamic i had, but it means i'll have to do something about the room, its picking up a lot of the room!

Heh... I remember years ago I volunteered to record this tune for a wedding. Singer brought her own mic; a Rode NT-1. We laid down acoustic guitars first. The Rode and an SM-57 made for a nice acoustic guitar sound. New strings on the guitar... the 57 helped knock a little 'edge' off... Anyway, come vocal time, we're doing a scratch take for levels and monitors when I notice a "ssssssssssshhhhhhhhh" sound. The A/C had came on and the Rode was picking up the air flow from the one vent in the room. Had to turn it off...

Love that Rode mic...

UJ