Configuration problems

Is it hardware, software, or both?

Hey, all!

It’s been a while since I’ve visited this forum; it looks like it’s been through at least one reset during that time! :D

Anyway, I just finished upgrading my motherboard. I got an Abit NF7-S2 (not S version 2). My old motherboard was an ECS K7S5A.

I got all the hardware installed, WinXP Pro SP2, and the latest ForceWare motherboard drivers (5.10) and video drivers.

The problem: I installed a version 3.3 of n-Track (I haven’t upgraded to 4.0 yet) and found Snap, Crackle, & Pop to be a part of this complete breakfast. :laugh: In other words, when I hit the Live button or just record a single track, I get major sound artifacts whenever some part of the screen needs to be redrawn.

For example, I fire up the N, hit Record, and then minimize n-Track. I hear an ugly buzz while the window is minimizing. Even just bringing up the Start menu causes a little click. :(

Here’s my system:
• Abit NF7-S2
• AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Palimino)
• 2 x Crucial 256 MB PC2100 RAM running in single channel mode
• nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 (128 MB, AGP 8x)
• M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
• 80 GB WD Special Edition HDD
• 120 GB WD Special Edition HDD
• Asus CD-RW
• Using integrated LAN
• No other peripherals

I have tweaked XP (per most of the suggestions at musicxp.net), and I’m using Delta ASIO (though the problem occurs no matter what driver I’m using). I have the latest Delta driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I tried n-Track 4.0 just for the sake of argument and found that Live processing doesn’t work! The recording VU meter shows signal, but the playback VU meter shows no signal, and I hear no sound.

Hi,
Just curious if you happen to fix your prob, cos I am having the same issue. No sound comes out of line out, during recording, however the signal gets recorded perfectly.
Thanks.

sat,

No, I’m still stumped. ???

I think I’ll e-mail Flav on this one; I’ve never had so much trouble with n-Track before! I don’t want to dump it—but I may not have a choice if I can’t get it working. :(

I downloaded the demo of Cubase SX, and it has no problem with my configuration. There are no pops or clicks, not even when there are many other things competing for processor time. I can’t afford Cubase, and I really like n-Track; I’m just frustrated right now.

Has any of you Audiophile 2496 users had a problem like this before? Do any of you have an nForce chipset?

Andrew

hey cheetah, i have two computers and the one below for recording.(my first rig has nvidia drivers and about the same setup you have with “no” 24/96). i also run N-track 3.3 with Asio drivers for the 24/96. and am getting the same cereal as you for breakfast.

i know the mobo drivers are different but i’ve always got pops and clicks nevertheless. it’s been a while since i’ve recorded also but it could be the latency settings in the 24/96 mixer control panel. raise or lower these. i did it 2 years ago and it seemed to fix my problem. i’m fixing to go in there and try it again. will let ya know…

RIG2 (for mutitrack reocrding)

WIN2K SP4
ABIT KT7A-R mobo (raid not used)
Via chipset 133
AMD 1.2 TB
Voodoo 3 vidcard
Stock AMD Fan/HS
512 SDRAM 133
Maxtor 20gig
Maxtor 3.6gig
Yamaha 32x cdrom
Buslink 12x24x10 burner
Linksys 10/100 netcard
M-audio 24/96 Sound recording card
Oktava MK-319 condenser mic
MS scrolling mouse
1 exhaust fan
15” moniter lizard

I’ve been doing a lot of web research on just this topic, as I have had similar problems. My basic problem however is not clicks and pops, but dropouts in recording a single stereo track. I’m dubbing music from mini-disc via the analog inputs of my Audiophile 2496. I record an entire disk, about 74 minutes worth, on a single track. Every time I go back and check the recording, I find there are dropouts, small little bits missing from the recording here and there. The problem started when I upgraded the drivers on my 2496 and started using ASIO. I can’t remember the configuration I used before I upgraded, as all settings were reset to defaults in the driver upgrade process. I’m pretty sure I was using some combination of the WDM drivers. The settings required to make it work were counter intuitive, and I had to do a bunch of finagling to get it to work right, but it did. At first things actually seemed more straightforward after the upgrade. Just set the 2496 control panel to monitor/mixer and everything just worked…except for this problem.

I don’t believe it’s a hardware problem. I recently lost a hard drive and decide to build and entirely new system. My previous system was 1Ghz Athlon based. The new system is entirely different, ASUS P5GD1 MoBo, Celeron 2.5Ghz 512M DDR2 RAM, nVidia GeForce 6600, 2 Seagate SATA hard drives in mirrored RAID configuration. Only thing the two systems have in common was software, operating system (XP Pro), and the 2496. Same exact problem on both. From reseach I’ve done on M-audio’s website, looks like the problem may be the way XP allocates and handles IRQ’s (http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=80d7b56e35ea51e73104295aec1f755b). Apparently IRQ’s get shared and there’s nothing you can do about it, though there are some tweaks that may help. I only just discovered this information and have yet to give it a try. The only thing I’ve been able to do is max out the recording buffer size, which seems to help, but increases the latency to unacceptable levels for multi-tracking.

I’m going to try a few things tonight. If I have no success I plan to start a new thread specifically on recording with nTrack through the 2496 in an XP environment. If I do, I’ll include more details concerning my system, settings, things I have tried, and what I’ve already learned. If anyone has similar problems, or solutions, please post them. Thanks and good luck.

I have found that the latest m-audio drivers are not always the best. You guys might try uninstalling the latest and going back to a previous version. It might not help, but it’s worth trying.

John