Conservatives step up attack on judiciary

Citing Schiavo case, they say courts undermine religion.

<!–QuoteBegin>

House of Representatives Majority Leader Tom DeLay, under fire for his use of campaign dollars and other ethical problems, addressed the conference in a videotaped message Thursday in which he denounced a “judiciary run amok.”…
“I believe the judicial branch of our government has overstepped its authority on countless occasions, overturning and, in some cases, ignoring the legitimate will of the people,” said DeLay, who was unable to attend the conference because he was in Rome for Pope John Paul II’s funeral.

If you ask me, I’d say it’s Delay & his right-wing religious nuts who are out of control. They mean well but they are out of control.
Quote (Mr Soul @ April 08 2005,16:08)
Citing Schiavo case, they say courts undermine religion.

House of Representatives Majority Leader Tom DeLay, under fire for his use of campaign dollars and other ethical problems, addressed the conference in a videotaped message Thursday in which he denounced a “judiciary run amok.”...
“I believe the judicial branch of our government has overstepped its authority on countless occasions, overturning and, in some cases, ignoring the legitimate will of the people,” said DeLay, who was unable to attend the conference because he was in Rome for Pope John Paul II’s funeral.

If you ask me, I'd say it's Delay & his right-wing religious nuts who are out of control. They mean well but they are out of control.
Ummm, nobody asked you.

come on man…

if you are gonna take a shot, at least give us your name.

Message to DeLay: they’re all activist, stupid. :)

Oh, I already said that.

Problem is, so many people misunderstand the role and functions of the judicial branch that they actually swallow this hogwash. I like the fact that a bunch of those activist judges - like, a majority - are republican appointees. :p

“Activist judges” is a rather trendy phrase. One term you never hear in reference to judges is “accountable.” Being a judge is pretty good gig to get if you can get it and not bad for your ego, either.

Well, they are accountable, to ethics boards and in terms of impeachment. “Limited accountability”?

Then it should be okay to point out judges who might be considered activist and expect some accountability measures to be exercised.

Then it should be okay to point out judges who might be considered activist and expect some accountability measures to be exercised.
This isn't what Tom is talking about however, i.e., he's talking about judges who break actual ethics rules.

Delay is talking about ideology, not rules. He doesn't like how judges have intrepreted the law & the constitution. He calls these judges activists.
Quote (Mr Soul @ April 14 2005,16:13)

This isn't what Tom is talking about however, i.e., he's talking about judges who break actual ethics rules.

Delay is talking about ideology, not rules. He doesn't like how judges have intrepreted the law & the constitution. He calls these judges activists.
Impartial and impersonal interpretation of law and the constitution are ethical rules.