constant memory leak in 4.2.0 Beta Build 2080

Hi,

In Windows Tasks Manager, I have noticed a continuous memory usage growth (12 KBytes or 16 KBytes, 3 or 4 page faults every second ) with this version

it stops eating memory when Live button is unckecked

Could it be a rewire related issue ?

Thanks for any advice

Someone else reported a similar problem a while back but no one (including Flavio) could reproduce it.

Of course with .net and its memory handling and garbage collection it’s not as straight forward to attribute climbing memory to a memory leak.

When you uncheck the Live button does the memory return or just stop climbing?

Can anyone reproduce this with an earlier build?

Mark

Hi,

Thanks for your help

the memory stops climbing when Live button is unchecked, and resumes climbing when it is checked again

I have tried .NET Memory Profiler (15 days free trial), it seems that only Win32 Heaps memory usage grows

I had a similar issue with a rewire software in another sequencer (4 KByte continuous leak, 1 page fault)
releasing asio driver in background stopped the leak and it happened again when bringing app to front; I found that a rewire dll caused the leak

I will try to rename all my rewire dlls in order to have not them loaded by n-Track , as I did with this other sequencer to find the
culprit, and I will try an earlier build too.

no succes in renaming all my rewire dll files

I have also tried to change dxirewire.dll to another dll , n-Track can’t load rewire panels , but the problem is still there

I have tried 4.1.6 build 2066 with same results

Quote (clevermind @ Mar. 28 2006,22:14)
Hi,

In Windows Tasks Manager, I have noticed a continuous memory usage growth (12 KBytes or 16 KBytes, 3 or 4 page faults every second ) with this version

it stops eating memory when Live button is unckecked

Could it be a rewire related issue ?

Thanks for any advice

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. Does it happen right after reverting to the default settings? Is it specific to a certain .sng file or it happens with a simple 1 audio track song with no effects?
If it's open try closing the Navigator window, it is a .Net window and it may cause page faults during playback and apparent memory leaks (only apparent as the memory is handled by .Net and is freed in case it is actually needed).

Flavio.

The problem occurs even with a blank audio track
enabling navigator window or not makes no difference
only when “Live” button is checked the leak occurs

[EDIT]
I have tried build 2081 with choosing defaults setting at installation : the memory leak is smaller (4 Kbytes/ 1 page memory fault)

and the problem seems to disappear (at least , no more constant memory usage growth every second) when “Multithreaded audio processing” is unchecked in “Preferences/Options” menu ;if checked again, the memory leak comes back

Quote (clevermind @ Mar. 29 2006,18:42)
The problem occurs even with a blank audio track
enabling navigator window or not makes no difference
only when “Live” button is checked the leak occurs

[EDIT]
I have tried build 2081 with choosing defaults setting at installation : the memory leak is smaller (4 Kbytes/ 1 page memory fault)

and the problem seems to disappear (at least , no more constant memory usage growth every second) when “Multithreaded audio processing” is unchecked in “Preferences/Options” menu ;if checked again, the memory leak comes back

I was finally able to reproduce the problem. It didn’t happen noticeably with the default settings as the leak occurred once for every buffer and it was much more apparent using small buffers.
Build 2082 should fix the problem. If you try it I’d be glad to know if it solves the leak on your system (it’s unlikely but it might be possible that the leak I found was unrelated to the problem you reported).

Flavio.

I have tried Build 2082 :

the memory leak has disappeared, even with “MultiThreaded audio processing” enabled

I forgot to mention that the problem occured even when not playing or recording

but with the navigator window enabled, there is another apparent memory leak (only apparent ?) during playback ,even with a blank audio track, when “Live” button is checked (with “MultiThreaded audio processing” enabled or not).