Converting MIDI to WAV through Track menu

I searched through the forum and was surprised this hasn’t come up, I am using the Delta 1010LT with the asio drivers. I can’t figure out the error I am getting when I try to convert my MIDI tracks to wav tracks through the ‘track’ menu. When I initiate the conversion wizard, I get a message that says I need to setup my soundcard to allow MIDI out recording. Anyone else doing this with the 1010?

Your question is not unusual at all. It is actually a very common misconception among both beginners and seasoned users alike that midi tracks can - somehow - be “converted” into wave files.

Consider, for a moment, what midi is. Nothing but playing instructions to the computer, i.e. instructions of the kind: “at this time, turn on the note ‘C’ with velocity 64” etc. No sounds at all are contained in the midi data, all sound is generated on-the-fly by the hardware at playback time.

By default, the midi output from n-Track is mapped to the “Microsoft Software Synthesizer” - or whatever your variant of Windows prefers to call it. Unfortunately, a lot of soundcards do not come with a midi synthesizer chip built-in - and this includes the Delta 1010LT.

The simplest suggestion is to get hold of a bunch of VSTi software synthesizers - there are plenty going for free - and render the tracks one at a time (mute all other tracks or solo the track you want to render) and then importing the resulting wave tracks.

If you have a hardware synthesizer of some kind, use the midi output from the Delta 1010LT to control it and record its output one track at a time as a wave file. Of course, this has to take place in real time, using the midi tracks as a kind of automatic player instead of playing the parts by hand.

Regarding the lack of a software synthesizer in the Delta 1010LT: you are not missing a lot… most of the chips sound cheap.

regards, Nils

In my version of N (which granted is older than dirt) I can mixdown from the midi synthesizer to a wav. file.

I’ll be honest I do not know too much about the midi functions of Ntrack, especially the newer versions, but guys like Nils do :)

Also I have a soundblaster audigy card which has midi functions on it so I don’t know if that makes a difference…

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Thanks, guys. I understand the situation better. I too used to use an older “consumer” soundcard and I remember being able to “convert the files” in older versions of N. I have been using a digital multitrack recorder for a couple years and then dumping the tracks into N to manipulate. I just starting using MIDI again and was stumped. That the Delta 1010 does not have an onboard synth makes alot of sense.

I guess I could do a hardware loop from the output to an input channel and ‘record’ the MIDI or I could ‘record’ it to my stand alone 8track and then bring back into N that way, right?

Or get some virtual instruments (VSTi or DXi) to use with your MIDI tracks. n can render the output of the VSTi/DXi directly to wave.

Google about and you’ll find tons of free/cheap ones. Some of which are excellent quality.

D

Quote: (Diogenes @ Jan. 27 2008, 12:01 PM)

Or get some virtual instruments (VSTi or DXi) to use with your MIDI tracks. n can render the output of the VSTi/DXi directly to wave.

hmmm, tell me more. I am using VST plug-ins. However when I play my keyboard part and hit record, I end up with midi data in my timeline. Is there a setting somewhere to have VST output converted to wav?
Quote:

Is there a setting somewhere to have VST output converted to wav?

VST Output already IS wave because you aren't using an external MIDI synth module or a hardware synth on the soundcard. The track is still MIDI but it's converted to wave by the VST prior to n-Tracks output. To convert to wave all you need to do is do a mixdown (mute the tracks you don't want heard in the output file).
Quote:

To convert to wave all you need to do is do a mixdown (mute the tracks you don't want heard in the output file).

Or FREEZE the VSTi track. When you freeze it, the synth is bypassed which frees up system resources... supposedly. That's way it should work. I have not verified this in n-Track with the performance (cpu) meter myself...

D