Converting midi to wave....trouble

Something I don’t do very often, but I dug up some old tunes and the drums were still in midi. Now when I convert the file the wave sounds distorted …digital type distortion not a high level thing…almost like weird synth distortin… bass drum but not high hat. I tried different drivers for the Realtek 97 onboard and also disabled it and tried a SBLive with the same results. I think it must be a plugin thing , I can do it on my non Daw OS with just n installed and no plugs. I uninstalled every plug and use Ccleaner and it still won’t work right. Both OS’s are XP…newest build of ntrack…P4 3.2…1gig ram…120 gig HD.

Any Idea’s ?

Thanks .
StRaNgErOcK

Check the Winodws mixer app and lower the MIDI output volume? You are talking about rendering with the onboard MIDI soundcard module right?

TG

Thanks, I tried it and end up with a low volume distorted signal. It is really weird…

Have you tried rendering with SFZ instead of the Live?

teej

Hi! I had simmilar problems with distorted bass and silent hi-hat, and I patched problem with double tracks buuuuuut there is permanent solution.
You just have to change your midi out device from default sound card midi mapper to Microsoft wave table. Therefore your sound will be clear and full and you got some extra drum samples. It is important that you make a change in MIdi track properties.

Quote (rrukavina @ Mar. 29 2005,11:23)
Hi! I had simmilar problems with distorted bass and silent hi-hat, and I patched problem with double tracks buuuuuut there is permanent solution.
You just have to change your midi out device from default sound card midi mapper to Microsoft wave table. Therefore your sound will be clear and full and you got some extra drum samples. It is important that you make a change in MIdi track properties.

Doh! Don't why I forgot that one!

rrukavina is correct. DON'T use MIDI Mapper! Check that out....

TG

Thanks guy’s , but same results with ms wavetable. I think it is a plugin or program that caused it …I may start installing plugs in my non DAW system and checking until I figure out the problem one…

Teej , what is SFZ…I hope that’s not a stupid question.

Dude…thats a bummer. I thought the MIDI Mapper thing would fix you up.

SFZ is a soundfont player. You load up sound fonts into it and fire sounds with your MIDI tracks. There is a tutorial on Audiominds. That may explain a few things. Check it out.

TG

yup… what TG said. :)

teej

Hey strangerock,

FWIW, you wouldn’t happen to have the “always-on” compressors still active on your tracks, would you? Just brainstorming…

Tony

I wish I did…sortof. There is no other tracks in the render I left them behind trying to deal with just the midi issue. I can render waves no problem…It was working great until I installed…something…

I will have to try the SFZ, I do have a swack of sf banks around here.

Have you considered using VST drums. That way the sound card is out of the loop.

Dave T2

I have messed around with LM4 a bit , but had trouble rendering with the assigned kit. I will have to look at it again.