Converting MIDI tracks to WAV

i used to do it but now i can’t…

hi,

this problem also occured to my friend. I import MIDI tracks ( drum parts of a song ) from Guitar Pro and then recording bass and guitar parts on it with my cousin. But after we finished recording, when i want to save it as wav. track, it says ‘do you want to include MIDI tracks in the mix down’ ( similar to that ) and i choose ‘yes’. Then my soudncards mixer opens and it starts to playback.

The problem is, i don’t want to bother with this. I used to record my recordings as wav track and nothing was needed to mix down the MIDI parts.

Nothing has changed ( including my soundcard ), so what s been ‘changed’ ? Why can’t I convert my recordings to a wav track easily ?

Please asnwer me coz im goin mad about this. It’ll appreciated. Thank You…

This is way MIDI works at mixdown and when converting to wave, and always has, unless the MIDI is going to a VST Instrument. When using VST Instruments the MIDI tracks act just like wave tracks.

I’m going by limited memory here, so someone needs to check my facts. :)

I never use the mixdown feature to convert midi tracks to wav.

I solo the midi track and then set N to record audio and record the audio of the midi track being played back.
If you are using an external sound module then you don’t need to solo the midi track… just record the input of the moduel.

If you are using a VSTi when you mixdown the channels with the VSTi output should be converted to wav, so can solo them and then mixdown offline.

HTH,
Rich

<!–QuoteBegin>

This is way MIDI works at mixdown and when converting to wave, and always has, unless the MIDI is going to a VST Instrument. When using VST Instruments the MIDI tracks act just like wave tracks.

I’m going by limited memory here, so someone needs to check my facts.

Phoo, I think Flavio added the Midi Mixdown Wizard back in the V2.n days before n-Track supported Vsti. It’s certainly been in there a long time.

Icetin - what are you using as your midi device? If it’s an external device (eg drum machine, piano module), or your soundcard’s built-in sounds, you will need to do a mixdown of the midi manually or using Flavio’s Wizard.

If you are using Vsti however, you can just cancel the Midi Wizard and you’ll get your midi tracks in your mixdown.

i don’t use any external instrument to import midi tracks. I import the midi tracks from my computer. ( like windows’S midi files etc. ) and then play the guitars and bass on it and record them.

when i save it and convert to a wav track, midis arent included in the wav file.

SO, how can i close this midi wizard ?

<!–QuoteBegin>

i don’t use any external instrument to import midi tracks. I import the midi tracks from my computer. ( like windows’S midi files etc. ) and then play the guitars and bass on it and record them.

No, you misunderstand. Midi is just a set of music commands, (like electronic sheet music) - it is not “sound” in it’s own right. Something has to read those music commands and play them for you. This can be an external device (like a keyboard), a Vsti ( a virtual software instrument), or sounds built into your soundcard. My question was asking what sound generating device you are using.

… but actually I’ve answered the question myself… you must be using your soundcard’s midi capabilities because if you send the midi tracks to a Vsti n-Track does not use the Wizard., and if you were using an external device (like a keyboard) you would probably have understood the question better.

<!–QuoteBegin>
SO, how can i close this midi wizard ?

Well if you are looking at the same screen as me there is a YES, NO and CANCEL button. But if you cancel it you are not going to get your midi tracks.

If my assumptions are correct you are sending your midi track out to your soundcard and using it’s capabilities to make noise. That noise goes straight out to the speakers and n-track has no way of capturing it without re-recording it back in to a Wav in n-track … which is exactly what the midi wizard is trying to step your through. (Essentially it “wires” the output from the midi noise generator in your soundcard to the recording input thus allowing n-track to capture the sounds).

If you don’t want the fuss of doing it this way, I suggest you try a soundfont Vsti like sf-play or sfz (there are others but I can’t recall them at the moment), and load up a General Midi soundfont. Send the midi track to the Vsti and your wizard will go away and you’ll get your midi tracks in your mixdown. As a bonus you’ll probably get much better quality sounds too.

HTH

Mark