Cover of a song from Finland.

Advice on Radio Mixing

Hi Guys!
This is one of 2 songs I’ve been asked to send on CD to a Philipinnes Radio station(This is in English. The other is in Filipino for novelty value).
I might try and re-do the Vox but can any of you guys advise me if I need to do anything special to the mix to make it suitable for radio?
It’s the second song on my motagator page, called “About My sorrow” and was originally by Finnish band Negative.

Thanks… Ian.

My motagator page

Eyup!

Please redo the vox. :D

This should go down well with the Philipinas, just their kind of stuff.

A couple of things about radio:

If it’s an FM station, everything will be filtered out above about 15kHz or so, so any small, high frequency detail will be lost. Not a problem for me with my duff ears, but those with better hearing WILL notice a difference.
Also, the track will be heavily compressed. Radio is a competetive business and being LOUD equates to money in the bank. Not only will it be compressed, but it will be brick-wall limited in case the apprentice in the studio turns the knob up too far.

This is why most pop music is heavily compressed in the first place, adding extra compression during radio play will not have such a drastic effect. If it’s already squished, you can’t squish it no more :D
Of course, eq will be used as well, which you can’t account for because it will depend which page the apprentice is on in his “Dummy’s guide 2 radio produkshun” book.

If the station is AM, then all the above still applies, except the filtering will be at about 4.5kHz (even I can hear that!) and a multiband compressor will certainly be used, squishing your track absolutely FLAT.

To be fair, AM radio is more efficient that way, and processing a signal like that helps to lessen some of the inherent technical problems with AM transmission.

I’ll have a go at simulating it if you like, I’ve downloaded the track so I can mangle it to my heart’s content.
Be Afraid, be Very Afraid :blues:

Steve

Quote (Beefy Steve @ Mar. 13 2006,01:44)
Please redo the vox. :D

Yeah.... Thanks for the confidence boost mate! :D

The station is FM, would be happy for you to "mangle" the track. Only putting this on the disc because they want 3 tracks on the disc. The primary track will be .....

Nosi ba lasi

Eyup!

<!–QuoteBegin>

The primary track will be …

Nosi ba lasi

Good choice mate.

I only said redo the vox 'cos I know you only do one take anyway, and I’ve told you the second take is always the best :D

Steve

While I can’t be certain (because of my playback system here at work) it seems to me that About My Sorrow (and also In the Dark) needs to be EQ’d to drop the levels a bit above 3kHz… Compared to other stuff I listen to things seem a bit “jangly” and a bit of playing with Media Players EQ suggested that modest drops in the 4k, 8k and to a lesser extent the 16k fader improved things a bit. If i am not mistaken this could point to the possibility that your monitors are slightly low at the top-end.

My musical tastes tend toward less “produced” music so I would probably prefer a little less (or different) reverb to improve the articulation a bit and give the instruments a little more clarity. The synths seem to fill every nook and cranny when they are playing and I try for more “open-space” in my music. On the other hand the sound is very “lush” which probably suits the market well.

Jim

Eyup!

Here is a simple overview of what broadcast processing will be applied to your lovingly mixed and mastered song by the FM Nazis.

Broadcast Processing

In particular, note the paragraphs on “Stereo Enhancement” and "Equalisation"

They don’t want your music, they want theirs!!!

Our local BBC FM station has a peak-to-average power ratio of about 15dB
The “Teen FM” station manages just 6!!!

Steve

Quote (jimbob @ Mar. 14 2006,00:01)
While I can't be certain (because of my playback system here at work) it seems to me that About My Sorrow (and also In the Dark) needs to be EQ'd to drop the levels a bit above 3kHz.. Compared to other stuff I listen to things seem a bit "jangly" and a bit of playing with Media Players EQ suggested that modest drops in the 4k, 8k and to a lesser extent the 16k fader improved things a bit. If i am not mistaken this could point to the possibility that your monitors are slightly low at the top-end.

My musical tastes tend toward less "produced" music so I would probably prefer a little less (or different) reverb to improve the articulation a bit and give the instruments a little more clarity. The synths seem to fill every nook and cranny when they are playing and I try for more "open-space" in my music. On the other hand the sound is very "lush" which probably suits the market well.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for listening and for being so constructive. I'll take a listen to the mix with your comments in mind. "In The dark" was mixed by a friend in the USA and was his original music and my vocal melody and voice.

Cheers,

Ian
Quote (Beefy Steve @ Mar. 14 2006,02:30)
Eyup!

Here is a simple overview of what broadcast processing will be applied to your lovingly mixed and mastered song by the FM Nazis.

Eyup Steve,

That's scary stuff.

Listened to the vox on "Sorrow" and you have a point. Maybe I'll stick to the rock songs where my lack of control isn't quite so crucial :)

Cheers,
Ian