CPU utilization

Why the huge disparity between 3.3 & 4.2

I have been using version 3.3 for some time, and it really is efficient. I download 4.2 to give it a try and found it to be a huge CPU utlizer. On a typicel 16 track project, ver 3.3 used about 10% of the CPU bandwidth and ver 4.2 used over 90%. This was on the same exact installation of XP. I reinstalled each to verify these results. Is this common? I’m sure this has been discussed to death.

4.2 seems to have a compelling set of upgraded features and capabilities, but gadzooks… that is a huge difference!

Hi kflind:
I hear you…

I have build 2088 installed… But It’s really not too bad… compared to some of the v4.2.0 bata builds of a week-or-so back… Flavio has been resolving issues as the builds have been posted… They ranged from 32-35 percentage points on the low end and 41-48 percentage points on this test project, I have, to keep and eye on this, here on my end.

The “Test” project I have been checking this on here has 11 stereo tracks with the n-Track multi-band compressor/limiter on the master clannel strip…

When I checked the CPU Useage minutes ago , the test project ran at 42-43 precentage points…

Not too bad for the first v4.2.0 build 2088, or first build out of bata… IMO… And checking my TEST Project with this build, for the first time… But, that’s just me-and-my-set-up, on this end…

Bill…

Try resetting preferences?

I just did an additional test. I was using SIR reverb on AUX 1. For some reason, I have this vague impression that there are sometimes issue when using SIR (which is my favorite free reverb). I took it out and utilization dropped from over 90% to about 45%. Way more than the less than 10% using 3.3, but a big improvement.

Are there any known issues using SIR? This is a 16 bit project that was recorded using 3.3 (I need to back up the .sng file so I don’t hose it up… that would really not be good!).

Hi kflind:
Call-up that .sng file that you have , and then “Freeze” the tracks that you’re useing S.I.R. on… the check the CPU useage.

If you are satisified with the effects mix of the tracks then. Do a Mixdown of those (individual) tracks and re-import them into a new timeline. But always “save as” the previous .sng file… Then you can always go back and “Play” with those tracks that you have S.I.R. , on But you have to rename those tracks… Then you can take-your-pick, as to what tracks you want to use in the final mix…

Those are some things I do here when deciding what tracks to use in the “Two-Track” final… mix…

Some things to consider when getting to the Two-Track mix…

Bill…

Folks, is there any possibility that he’s getting hosed by the “always on” effects? In other words, when you open a V3 project in V4, does it install the “always on” FX on every track? (That would change the sound quite a bit too, I think!) IIRC, the compressor is one of the always-on FX. I’m not sure because (a) when I installed V4 I deleted them first thing, and (b) I reverted to V3 anyway.

Well, I downloaded the previous version (4.1.6) and it seemed to have the same problems. I came back later and gave it another try and was getting about 45% CPU usage even with SIR. I don’t know what happened, but 45% I can deal with. My project rarely get above 16 tracks, and I have multiple effects on many of the channels. This is promising. I’ll probably plunk down the $25 a give it a try.

It does take a little while to find your way around though. Things aren’t always in the same place. What is the coolest thing to entice me to upgrade from 3.3 to 4.2?

<!–QuoteBegin>

What is the coolest thing to entice me to upgrade from 3.3 to 4.2?

Freeze, drum Vst plugin, configurable mixers, and many other things I’ve forgotten.

I Know:
Just get with the Program… :O :;): :p :laugh:

Then ya got “Right-Click” configuerable VU Meters… “Time-Line Peak” margin indicators. Scanable Time Line .sng file utility, for peaks. I’m working on learning how to best use these great new features for MY Set-up.

All of these features are “Hideable”… Removed from being “ON” all the time… No stress on the graphics card…

Works on a properly Set-up P-111 in '98SE and XP Desk… Ya gotta have the right hardware drivers and interface software… Your DAW has to work properly before you install n-Track and everything you use with IT… as with any other multi-track editor…

Just get with the Program… :p

Bill…

Hi Jeff:
I hear you. It’s certinally worth some investigation into that department. I seldom use the Aux./groups and all, in my editing practices… seeing as, I rarely mix-and-render, “On-Line”.

I’ve had little-if-any issues importing tracks and .sng files and projects from earlier versions-and-builds… Or, it’s something I’ve had to spend little time, adapting to, with my set-ups. And I seem to be able to bounce between tracking and editing between my DAWs through the network I have, here.

My biggest “Beef” is, keeping my “Project” folders “Current” between DAWs. as they (the projects) develop… I need a utility to scan folders between DAWs to look for files that are missing between machines. There’s a Term for that… I have forgotten what IT is…

Synchronize… Synchronize :O ??? If I only knew how to make that work properly… ???

Bill…

Interesting article on synchronisation h e r e.

But IIRC Bill, you’re using a mixture of operating systems. Perhaps one of the myriad of purpose made, third party sync programs might be what you need - especially as you can usually set them to update/sync when you want rather than in the middle of tracking…

Mark

Hi Mark:
I’m downloading the free network version of this utility. It’s more than 7 meg in size. It looks like the Bee’s knee’s… We’ll see. You see, if I edit a track on one machine, I have to sync the .sng files and the edited tracks from one machine to another… Now I can import the tracks on line/network… but if the machines are turned off except for the machine I am useing then I am unable to import the updated tracks for that project… And as well That is how I back-up all these projects… I learned that back in '03 when I got a case of the virus… IT wrecked my setup… and hard drives. IT was a bad way to learn…

I’ve been virus free (finger’s crossed ) sense then. But, if I can set-up a decent file sync. set-up IT should be pretty close to a SCSSI Back-up Format… The SCSSI guys would say NO. But IT would be acceptable to me…

[EDIT]
I got the virus on April 11th '03 I wouldn’t forget that date…

[EDIT]
IT looks as though this version will work in both DESKS… as well… We’ll see…

Bill…

Quote (learjeff @ April 08 2006,18:23)
...getting hosed by the "always on" effects...

Where are those dang FX-settings anyways ? I peeked around a bit but couldn't find them. My year old V4.0.5 crashed for good last night so I installed the latest build a couple of hours ago. Was up & running in no time :)

And while I’m at it, where can I globally set prefs for channel VUs, disable spectrum analyzer, etc etc ?
No RTFM answers please :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m downloading the free network version of this utility. It’s more than 7 meg in size. It looks like the Bee’s knee’s

Which one is that Bill?

Hi Again Mark:
On that page there is a “Network-for-Home” link that can be installd on your network computers… You have to register with the company… Then install the utility on all your computers and IT runs… I have IT on my P-111 1.2 khz machine and on the P-4 studio machine… It’s limited in function till you buy the Pro-Version… but I think the free version will DO-for-Me… We’ll see… Anyway, so-far, it works like a charm…

I just have the “C” Drive " My documents" folders “Sync’d”. That’s where I keep all the folders where the stuff I download Like Applications I install on all these machines I have. I launch “Install EXE’s” from My Documents… Every Now-and-Then I will burn DVD’s of the My Documents folder… to use as a “Back-up”…

Bill…

Hi teryeah:
By “Right-clicking” on the meters, you are able to set the preferences you choose “On Them”. You can choose to leave them “as-is” or, play with their appearences and make then behave as “Dirty” as you choose…

These meters are comming right along for useing them to see how a “Two-Track” mix is utilizing the energy spectrum… Overall… I can comtemplate some more work on these meters, down the road…

The Time-line .sgn peak feature is opened from the “EDIT” drop-down list… You’ll see IT…

I’ve done positivly nothing on the Drum-kit… yet… There is a thread going on IT sounds like IT’s gonna be a great feature… I’m waitin to hear a posted song … useing all this…

Bill…

Thanks Bill, I missed that link…